SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 10-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

Received my R&R Design sliding TM mount yesterday. While I can't install until I know how the "new and improved" Ulterra is going to fit, the mount seems very sturdy. Heavy as heck and appears to be fabbed from cast aluminum. Anyone have an update on the date of release of the new Ulterra?
Old 10-16-2016, 10:15 AM
Tripletail

Default New and improved Ulterra iPilot

Well, got a call from trollingmotors.net yesterday saying the 2017 Ulterra was now available. Minn Kota is calling it the Riptide Ulterra for the saltwater version and it is supposed to have the new and improved Spotlock and also the jog feature along with a new remote and bluetooth capability for use with a smartphone app. Apparently, MK is using an additional GPS receiver that mounts somewhere else in the boat to achieve a tighter spot lock Needless to say, I ordered one and it is supposed to be delivered Monday. I had previously sold my "non Ulterra" iPilot in anticipation of this model coming out. Time will tell if it is all it's supposed to be.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:27 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
Received my R&R Design sliding TM mount yesterday. While I can't install until I know how the "new and improved" Ulterra is going to fit, the mount seems very sturdy. Heavy as heck and appears to be fabbed from cast aluminum. Anyone have an update on the date of release of the new Ulterra?
Received my new Ulterra today and found out that the R&R Design mount will not work so I'm shipping it back for credit and I ordered a MK sliding mount (something I should have done from the beginning). BTW, the new Ulterra doesn't use a separate GPS receiver, it is a separate "heading" thingey. It pairs wirelessly via bluetooth with the Ulterra head, which according to MK Tech Support has a new and improved GPS receiver with improved algorithms that is supposed to get the spot lock to be more precise. Supposedly, the "heading" thingey helps the tm know it's exact heading along with how large the boat is so that is supposedly the improvement. I'm sure that is also how the jog feature will function. We'll see once I get my new mount and power it up on the water.

Last edited by cajun bill; 10-17-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add words
Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 PM
Tripletail

Well, finally put it all together. Used the MK-47 mount to install and went today to try it out. One word description: WOW! Much better than my old iPilot. The self deploy and stow along with the trim is fantastic. Seems that the spot lock is much better than before and the jog feature is great. Had a little trouble pairing it and the heading sensor, but after contacting MK tech support, everything went great. Couldn't be happier, but we were only playing today, the true test will be when we actually use it to catch fish. BTW, I looked and looked for the "locate fish" button, but so far, haven't found it.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 411

Where did you mount the external heading sensor?
Old 11-13-2016, 04:46 PM
Tripletail

on the console