SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
I may be the world record holder for most 2x4's and 4x4's driven with a man killer. LOL. Used to guide where 2 of us was responsible for 11 blinds and about 15 wharfs. We actually had 2. One for 2x4's and a larger one for 4x4's. Yes we could use the larger on for 2x4's, but it was a mother so we would use the smaller one if we had the choice. One person could use the smaller one for 2x4's, but the big one was supposed to be a 2 man job. I think ours was about 2' long with 2 handles and the cap welded on it. Our marsh was soft with a large water fluctuation so it would love to try to pop blinds up. I retired from the man killer, but I think we used to use 12-14' 2x4's and had to drive them in at an angle like an X on each side. Many times we had to stand on top of a cabin boat to get it started. We would drive them in as far as we could - sometimes they would go the entire 10-12'. If we hit 'bottom' with too much sticking out, we would just use a chainsaw or handsaw to cut it to preferred height. You would never use a sledge again.
Very well said. My wife's grandfather used to have one that we used when I guided. Couldn't remember if it was something he had made or bought off the shelf. It's looking more and more like it was home made. I'll probably go down that road. Thanks
Old 09-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Hunting the marsh for over 40 years I've found that the use of 2x4s is not the best for anchoring the blind. After Rita and Ike all the blinds that were secured with 2x4s floated away. The best we find is 2x8s with a cut point on the end going in the mud. Far more surface area than a 2x4 for holding along with making the blind more stable when used for the corner posts. Use 2x4s at a 45 degree angle to the 2x8s for extra holding strength.