SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713
Default I Am A Blssed Man

Next week I get to test the AlWeld 1556 with the new Tohatsu beast on the back. For me, the perfect rig. The size I need, should have more room than I need, should draft very shallow, and the 15' should make it a rocket. Face it guys, if you're running anywhere close to 40 loaded, you're flying.
Everyone has that once in a lifetime, race prop installed, all the planets lined up, the wind and current in your favor, top speed number. It has nothing to do with fishing or hunting, but it's a fun, quotable number.
I have weighed my current rig, loaded for fishing, with 2 batteries, all gear, everything, men included, total weight is right at 1500 pounds, it ain't gonna be a speed demon So you can either have a rig that goes real fast EMPTY with a race prop on it. or a rig that floats high and gets up quick, one or the other, I fish and hunt more than I race nowadays So it time for a change. Yep, you heard it right, I will soon be the proud owner of that new Tohatsu and a 1556 AlWeld. I always said it would take something drastic to make me get rid of my Edge and my Merc, well, "it" has arrived!
I'll keep you posted.
Danny
Old 04-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
Next week I get to test the AlWeld 1556 with the new Tohatsu beast on the back. For me, the perfect rig. The size I need, should have more room than I need, should draft very shallow, and the 15' should make it a rocket. Face it guys, if you're running anywhere close to 40 loaded, you're flying.
Everyone has that once in a lifetime, race prop installed, all the planets lined up, the wind and current in your favor, top speed number. It has nothing to do with fishing or hunting, but it's a fun, quotable number.
I have weighed my current rig, loaded for fishing, with 2 batteries, all gear, everything, men included, total weight is right at 1500 pounds, it ain't gonna be a speed demon So you can either have a rig that goes real fast EMPTY with a race prop on it. or a rig that floats high and gets up quick, one or the other, I fish and hunt more than I race nowadays So it time for a change. Yep, you heard it right, I will soon be the proud owner of that new Tohatsu and a 1556 AlWeld. I always said it would take something drastic to make me get rid of my Edge and my Merc, well, "it" has arrived!
I'll keep you posted.
Danny
That sounds like the perfect boat for me also! Can't wait to hear your review!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,506

Great news Danny!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,024

When will dealers be getting in these new motors? The alweld will be a tiller I assume like the 1548 you tested? Looking foward to your report. What do you see this rig doing better than your edge/merc?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

They still need to design a super 25 for guys that run refuges and Miami!

Sent from an Apple Tree..
Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Flounder

Cash: 649

I'm running the 1648 marsh special with the tldi and a 13 pitch powertech prop. Like you said it's all about getting that balance. I run about 35 loaded down and right at 40 empty. Great all around boat for what I do. You will definitely enjoy your new alweld.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I was also looking at getting the 56" wide alweld as well but then when I went to order it and saw it in person it was like a barge, almost too wide IMHO so I went with the 52" that had a much better look and feel to it as well as still having all the floor room and space I was looking for.

im sure you selected the size boat you need for your needs but just saying, for a 15' boat 56" wide is extra wide. that extra 6" doesn't sound like much but it looks like its a foot wider
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy123 View Post
When will dealers be getting in these new motors?
Lake Area Marine has the 40 4stroke in stock now.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

have you seen the "havoc" boats? theyre really nice
Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
have you seen the "havoc" boats? theyre really nice
They are designed by the same guy that designed the Edge. My Edge was the first 56" wide bottom Edge built, it is definitely a "high performance" hull, much has changed. Havoc, nice boats, sure, they can be made to go fast, just keep adding horsepower, like any other boat.
There is a definite price distinction between an aluminum fishing hull and a "high performance" hull. If I pay that much for that "High Performance" hull, it had better be several miles per hour (as in 5-7mph) faster than a utility hull with the same STOCK outboard, I like comparing apples to apples. What have you accomplished when you take a high performance hull and add a 90hp ported motor to outrun a stock 40 marsh motor on a fishing boat? You didn't do it with boat, you did it with motor. I don't want to have to port an outboard to outrun stock motors on a "high performance" hull, some guys do, and that's great. Take the same motor every guy can go and buy, the same propeller, the same driver, the same river, and compare it on both boats, see what you get for that extra money. If it's worth it for you, great. At one time, it was worth it for me, those 18 mile trips to hunt Lacassine were long, now, not so much. I am into creature comforts. And just how long does it take to cross Lacassine impoundment?
D
Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

I can't wait to see pics of the new rig!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Trophy Trout

FIVE (5) year full warranty I think I'm in love.
Don that motor!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Tohatsu is coming out wit a 4 Stroke 40 HP? What are the specs? Cubic Inch?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Tohatsu is coming out wit a 4 Stroke 40 HP? What are the specs? Cubic Inch?
Boating Talk: New King of Lacassine - SaltyCajun.com
Old 04-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy123 View Post
When will dealers be getting in these new motors? The alweld will be a tiller I assume like the 1548 you tested? Looking foward to your report. What do you see this rig doing better than your edge/merc?
1. Float much higher, better shallow marsh operation, much less total weight when loaded for fishing.
2. Ease of operation. It is not easy to drive an Edge boat with excessive power. Even loaded, at times it wants to chine walk, there's a fine line of control. I run 1/2 throttle most of the time in Lacassine, 45 mph is not safe in Lacassine, I know my abilities, I don't know everyone else's.
3. I do not make the 18 mile runs to hunt Lacassine anymore, I don't need a steering wheel, no steering wheel, hence, no cut down seat, no getting up and down every time I want to change locations to fish Lacassine.
4. NO, it will not be as fast.
5. I am 60 years old, though most of the time I don't act it. I figure this will be the last rig I buy, I want comfort.
6. My Mercury has long been out of warranty. I installed a new block on it 4 weeks ago, finally burned a valve.
Danny
Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Danny I can't believe what I'm reading lol
Old 04-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
Danny I can't believe what I'm reading lol
I would never have believed that you would stop hunting Lacassine, but you did. You will go through chapters in your life where change takes place. This past week, we went on a calm vacation to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, what a nice quiet time. Just like on this video, I have really settled down and slowed down:
Old 04-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 728

CImageUploadedByTapatalk1398470823.906246.jpg
Could this be a new shipment of the new alweld boats? Passed them in leesville headed south today
Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
CAttachment 66619
Could this be a new shipment of the new alweld boats? Passed them in leesville headed south today
I don't know if that is the new boat but yes, that is Lake Area Marine's truck and trailer.