SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FLa View Post
(1) We plan on spending a significant sum of money on making the sponsors of the STAR realize what they think CCA is doing is not exactly what is being done.

For example, once the license increase takes effect, we have secured media reps to prepare a full page ad in every magazine and newspaper that circulates south of Interstate 10. The page will reflect the names of every sponsor to the STAR and inform every read that the mentioned names are in part responsible for the increase in YOUR cost to fish in this State. We will also make a humble request that all readers cease business with these entities.

We have cleared this with legal, so this is a go. If approved, the law will go in effect on August 15, 2014 and the ad will appear on the following weeks/months publications.

(2) Many of you raised the fact that CCA is a political organization. In fact, we have evidence, testimony and recordation of CCA staff and directors stating such.

We are compiling such evidence to present to the IRS since a 501(C) corp. cannot be political in nature.
Interesting. I've been thinking of writing all the S.T.A.R. weigh stations in the off season to let them know how CCA has been misusing resources in the name of conservation and ask them to join the boycott. It seems to me more reasonable to give them an opportunity to make an informed decision regarding whether to step back from supporting CCA before trying to harm their businesses.

I've met a number of the owners of business who have S.T.A.R. weigh stations. I have not had ample opportunity to discuss these issues with them, yet. These are good people and good, honest businessmen and women. Like many sportsmen, I think they have been duped by the idea that a group with "Conservation" in the name must be doing good. I'd be slow and grant them opportunity to consider all the facts for a period of time before attempting to impact their income.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

3FLa, I'm behind your group 100%. However, MG has a very valid point. These sponsors have been lied to just like the rest of us. I personally know a couple of them and believe given the chance would drop STAR and join forces with Galaxy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Redfish

Cash: 479
Default Mathgeek/Marshrunner

You both make good points, which that I will pass along. However, at a minimum, a personal and informative letter to these sponsors may solve the problem. Thereafter, if they choose to continue their sponsorships, then a full blown media press may be in order.

Thanks, it is certainly something to consider.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FLa View Post
You both make good points, which that I will pass along. However, at a minimum, a personal and informative letter to these sponsors may solve the problem. Thereafter, if they choose to continue their sponsorships, then a full blown media press may be in order.

Thanks, it is certainly something to consider.
This I believe would be the best action. At least they would have necessary information to make a decision. After that it should be fair game!

Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Is there any legal precedent to the rule that says participants cannot be entered in STAR/CCA and also win a prize in the Galaxy tourney? I am trying to think of a similar situation but I'm drawing a blank.

I wonder if it could be seen as discriminatory in some manner. Of course membership in CCA/STAR is not a protected freedom, so perhaps no discrimination could occur by definition. However afaik political affiliation is not a protected freedom either, so are there any contests that restrict winners to one party?
Old 05-01-2014, 03:27 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Is there any legal precedent to the rule that says participants cannot be entered in STAR/CCA and also win a prize in the Galaxy tourney? I am trying to think of a similar situation but I'm drawing a blank.

I wonder if it could be seen as discriminatory in some manner. Of course membership in CCA/STAR is not a protected freedom, so perhaps no discrimination could occur by definition. However afaik political affiliation is not a protected freedom either, so are there any contests that restrict winners to one party?
I'd follow the lead of the gun groups and other conservation groups and not try and force allegiance. I was once a member of NRA, GOA, JFPO, and a state group or two at the same time. A group should compete on its merits, not on schemes to strong arm allegiance. Treat your members well, and in the long run, you'll be the NRA of coastal conservation.

Business arrangements may be different, of course, you might need to give more thought into whether businesses that serve as official S.T.A.R. weigh stations can serve as official Galaxy stations also.

You may also take an approach more like LOWA does with LA state fishing records, or you can base the contest on length where contestants photograph the fish with a suitable length scale. This would allow catch and release entrants as well as a length based bull redfish contest. (Though I would hate to see the contest require release.) Biggest bull reds would be a much more interesting content than chasing tagged reds which has a strong "lottery" like component, but who says you can't do both?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I suggest rather then a tag system you just hold a random drawing from all entrants and pick a few for the prizes, that way you don't have to catch and tag anything and everyone will be happier because they have a better chance to win then if say the tagged fish aren't caught or aren't in the area a particular fisherman likes to fish.

you can still have the bonus for anyone bringing in a star tagged fish and you can have a best fish of the day category as well as the biggest caught overall for the whole tourney.

im no lawyer but common sense dictates that as to the question of participants cannot be entered in STAR/CCA and also win a prize in the Galaxy tourney, well its your tourney and you make the rules so if you make a rule to say you cant qualify for Galaxy prizes if you are a STAR/CCA supporter that's not anything discriminatory because it applies equally to everyone and no persons, race, or ethnic groups are being discriminated against.

and I agree with a few others here that Galaxy isn't a great name and you should consider something else and not let trying to counter STAR/CCA be your guide in selecting a name. create a catchy new tag that stands for something on its own and maybe the letters stand for your goals.

maybe something like FISH (fishermen in need of help) or something along those lines just please don't try and let STAR be your guide to choosing a name

maybe i'll get used to the Galaxy name but from the first time I heard it and even still now it just doesn't sound like the right name
Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

keep the tags, works well. makes people try hard and learn to fish. drawings just promote money
Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Conserve Louisiana Invitational Tournament. And everyone invited.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
Lol and W be da little man in da boat!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:

Oh my
Old 05-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 479
Default Good questions-Some answers

As to why have a tag program as oppose to just drawings: We want more people to enjoy our fisheries, especially those less fortunate than others. That is why when a tagged fish (either ours or CCA) is harvested and a special needs individual, a wounded veteran, and/or a kid, etc are in the fishing party, extra cash is added to the winnings. By doing this, we hope to encourage everyone to take a kid, a verteran, or a special needs person fishing.

As to a drawing: There will be a weekly drawing with some pretty awesome prizes. When you register to fish in the Galaxy, you will get a number and that will become your "id". Each week's drawing will be conducted in conjunction with the state lottery games (similar to how some clubs are doing fund raising now, but on larger scale) and when your numbers match, you when. There will be a gauranteed winner every week.

As to any issues with CCA: We are a private group and will not be associated with any state or federal agecny. Thus, we are not bound by typical discrimination issues. Furthermore, CCA is not a suspect class which can be identified as needing protection (race, gender, sex, religion, etc.) In addition, the second CCA releases the tagged fish, it again becomes public property, so it (CCA) has no ownership interest to that fish.

So, if you want to fish Galaxy, you cannot fish the STAR. If you register for the STAR, you cannot win any prizes from Galaxy.

Finally, some people above mentioned why the name of G-A-L-A-X-Y was used. I personally did not favor the name, but consultants doing research with focus groups suggested that should be the name of the tourney, with the selling point being a "Galaxy eats a Star". I do have to admit that some of the proposed ads and media info is pretty awesome though.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Red Snapper

All sounds good to me. I'm betting the advertising could be pretty amazing with a name like that! I'm ready for 2015

Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 PM
King Mackeral

Default Artificial reefs increase specks vulnerability

I was studying the Callihan thesis more carefully (I am a geek, right?) and I came across his analysis of whether artificial reefs, like those constructed by CCA contribute to increasing ecosystem productivity or merely aggregate specks to make them easier to catch. (It is well known that the ecosystem services and habitat provided by oyster reefs increase production.)

Although the artificial reefs I studied were deployed as mitigation for the destruction of natural oyster reefs, many similar reefs are being deployed in Louisiana’s estuaries. These projects are typically funded by private conservation organizations under the presumption that artificial reefs will benefit important fishery resources. However, my data suggest these reefs could have a negative impact on sportfish, at least spotted seatrout, by aggregating fish and thus increasing their vulnerability to exploitation via increased catch efficiency. Clearly, state management agencies throughout the GOM should consider this possibility when deciding to grant permission for the deployment of additional artificial reefs in inshore estuarine waters. - Callihan PhD Thesis p. 283 (LSU 2011)

It is notable that CCA is spending millions to restore oyster reefs in Texas, but in Louisiana, their efforts have been geared toward restricting harvest limits (while letting oyster reefs get destroyed by dredging), increasing license fees, and building much cheaper artificial reefs.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I was studying the Callihan thesis more carefully (I am a geek, right?) and I came across his analysis of whether artificial reefs, like those constructed by CCA contribute to increasing ecosystem productivity or merely aggregate specks to make them easier to catch. (It is well known that the ecosystem services and habitat provided by oyster reefs increase production.)
I wonder how they could account for all of the snapper in La waters? I'm not saying that this is wrong in any way, but same principle applies. Unless the limited resource is habitat.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
ommmmmmmg!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:22 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I wonder how they could account for all of the snapper in La waters? I'm not saying that this is wrong in any way, but same principle applies. Unless the limited resource is habitat.
Not exactly. The question of whether artificial reefs contribute to production depends on the kind of artificial reef, the ecosystem, and the species.

There are boatloads of evidence that artificial reefs (petroleum platforms and the designed reefs used in places like Alabama) contribute to production of red snapper in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. A compelling case has been made that the vertical span of hard substrate works in synergy with the nutrients provided to the Northern GoM by the Mississippi River. See this paper and references therein:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1306/1306.5114.pdf

The attached map shows the Chlorophyll a concentrations in the GoM. Chlorophyll a determines the amount of photosynthesis in the marine food web, thus the amount of primary production. Note the wide area of high primary production off the Louisiana coast. This high primary production is fed by the nutrient rich waters of the Mississippi River.

The phytoplankton with all the Chlorophyll a is at the bottom of the food chain and leads to roughly 4 times the biomass in these areas as compared with the areas in blue. Red Snapper thrive off the coast of Louisiana because they have a lot to eat as the biomass works its way up the food chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chlorophyll A.jpg (44.1 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by MathGeek; 05-02-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Not exactly. The question of whether artificial reefs contribute to production depends on the kind of artificial reef, the ecosystem, and the species.

There are boatloads of evidence that artificial reefs (petroleum platforms and the designed reefs used in places like Alabama) contribute to production of red snapper in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. A compelling case has been made that the vertical span of hard substrate works in synergy with the nutrients provided to the Northern GoM by the Mississippi River. See this paper and references therein:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1306/1306.5114.pdf

The attached map shows the Chlorophyll a concentrations in the GoM. Chlorophyll a determines the amount of photosynthesis in the marine food web, thus the amount of primary production. Note the wide area of high primary production off the Louisiana coast. This high primary production is fed by the nutrient rich waters of the Mississippi River.

The phytoplankton with all the Chlorophyll a is at the bottom of the food chain and leads to roughly 4 times the biomass in these areas as compared with the areas in blue. Red Snapper thrive off the coast of Louisiana because they have a lot to eat as the biomass works its way up the food chain.
Chlorophyll? More like Borophyll.

Sorry, had to do it.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
Chlorophyll? More like Borophyll.

Sorry, had to do it.
Lmao!! No I will not make out with you!

Go on with the chlorophyll!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 724

I know two big sponsors of the STAR are Academy and Dexter Russel Knives.