SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919
Default Deer hunting mississippi

I been hunting in Mississippi since Monday with my dads hunting club.First day we got there a 13 year old girl killed her first deer infront of the dogs with her dad.It was pretty cool they shot at the same time she hit it him in the neck and dad got him in the right in the guts.Don't believe he'll ever live that down,It was a nice six point.That afternoon wasn't so good a kid ran into someones truck with a four wheeler.Then i get on the stand and after an hour or so a taste looking doe comes out looking for some turnips.So i pick up the 300 wsm my dad gave a few years back,With the extra sensitive trigger that only needs 1 pound of pressure to go off for them long shots.I pick it up take the safty off AND BLAM the world goes white and all i can hear is a loud ringing in my ears.The gun went off shot a hole in the roof of the box stand,I drop the gun(a bolt action)grab my ears and hollar.Finally the smoke clears and i look out the window and teres the doe.Sitting there with a turnip in her mouth i think she was even smiling.We make eye contact i go for the gun and expelled the empty cartrige out of the gun chambered another.At this point the doe takes off up the pipe line which is up hill.I put the scope on her and taste of the 300 wsm ballistic tip 300 grain bullet.To wash her turnips down with.It was the last thing she ever tasted.So i call my dad i could only hear him on speaker phone over the ringing.(try locking your self in a closet and shoot off a 300 wsm).I get the four wheeler and get down the trail to the bottom were the food plot is and ive never gone down this trail theirs two trails i go down the right one.Its realy dark and realy steap i get the right tire in a hole try to back up no go so i pit in drive hit the gas the four wheeler flips i try and jump off it rolls over my ankle rolls four time down the hill and lands sitting up still running.Flipped so hard my radio flew 10 feet.Finally got my deer and got the hell out of there with no hearing and a hurt foot.Next day let the dogs loose ran the wrong way and ran three buck on a different hunting club.The rest of the weekend consisted of a lot of bourbon and tall tales.Got the back strap cooking as we speak.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Making memory's!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,829

damn man u had a rough hunt.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
the extra sensitive trigger that only needs 1 pound of pressure to go off for them long shots
Wow....that is way to light for a trigger setting.....as you now know. If you were just picking up the gun to stick it out the window......why was it not still on safety?

I use to shoot a .22 cal. in tournaments when I was a teenager. Min. allowed trigger setting had to be 2+ lbs and that was very light.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919
Default the reason

Taken the safety off before it was out the window was a dumb mistake i will never make again.I learned that the hard way,And my dad bought the gun from a fellow he works with.He would go hunting all across the country and make four to five hundred yard shots on caribou and antelope.The trigger is so light so it wouldn't move the cross hair on those long shots.Ive duck hunted hundreds of time with a loaded shot gun in my hand,And dog hunted with a 30-06 wood master since i was 14.That is the only gun that's ever happened to me with.It happened once before while aiming at a deer.Its a good gun i have hit deer at 300 yard with it before,But it has a true hair trigger

Last edited by mallard matt; 11-25-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: mis spell