SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Here is one of the biggest guides in Morehouse Parish, check out this setup (hulls, blind, etc). Looks like a craphole, but he kills em. I agree that the water should have been pumped out beforehand though. If it was my operation, it would be a LOT more classier than this, but its not
Wow I want no part of being in a blind with that many people!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

wow a 10 man blind???
Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
He provided a place to hunt is all. Some of my best duck hunts have been in 70 degree weather, so cancelling is not much of an option, its only duck season for 60 days unlike fishing 365 they can pick the best days to go. You can never tell if the birds are gonna be there, he said they killed 19 out of that blind the day before, and what can you do besides take his word for it. Very shady dealings but what can you expect? The moment he stepped out of his truck I would have said 'no thanks'!
bingo
Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
Wow I want no part of being in a blind with that many people!
Yeah its a crappy blind Dude stays booked up though. He usually brings 2 or 3 of his buddies with him as well. That would not fly really well with me, but he has been in business for many many years. His blind is 15 feet from the edge of the water and the dang shells have been there for years, and its the worst brush job in the world, it amazes me he kills ducks
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
No he just know a guided trip works. You don't pay for a limit. You pay for being able to show up and shoot. You should, however, show up to a clean, dry, and well concealed blind. There should not be any hulls on the ground. The decoys should be freshly placed. And the guide should do what he can to get the birds in.

There is no garuntee you will even shoot anytime you go hunting. Guided trip or not
It did rain the day before and was done by that afternoon. So me and my dad went to the blinds to bail and re grass because we had a guided trip the following morning. Unless it was raining the previous night through that morning, that is no excuse for a wet blind. The guide should have went before the hunt to bail the water out

That's what a real guide does!!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

I think patial discount just because the guy was late. Regardless of the excuse.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

I am pretty sure the more honorable guides have a no kill or no catch, no pay rule. It is probably an unwritten rule, but is the right thing to do. Either that or they will have you come back another time. You will not burn bridges like that.

I was guided by Jim Shandly on Toledo Bend in April one time for Bass. Well, it snowed that day. We fished anyway and caught 3. I gave him a check that hasn't been cashed to this day. That's a good guy right there!

Question? did you tell the guide you were going to post this experience on the internet? Personally, I would have told him, that way he would have a chance to do you right, also understanding that if he didn't he would get a lot of bad publicity. It is also fair, that way he has a chance to post a rebuttal, and everyone gets both sides.

Anyway, thanks for telling your story of the substandard hunt. Everyone needs to know that there are some good guides and some not so good guides out there. You saved someone else from going through the same heartache if you posted this.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
A well known hunting camp can not say you will even shoot on any given day and I dont know any that will give you the money back. Its hunting. Most do kill every day but you cant have it every day. But you have to have a good operation for them to come back and most can see from the start how something is or aint
I have never heard of any operation that lets you get a refund if you dont kill . Its called hunting not killing. Like D said its all about how things are ran that brings customers back ,more so than limits killed.
If we all refunded money for bad hunts we would go broke ,especially at this point in the season when the hunting gets real tough.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Ling

Cash: 8,577

my thing would be is this an everyday occurence and just claims to be a guide and everyday is tough or dont kill...bad business is told to 7 others by one person...good buss. doesnt..to me it means CYA..
Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

I see a young kid with under armor shorts on and then the blind the way it was described and I'm out. Sorry you got screwed.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

I wouldn't expect a refund even if we wouldn't fire a shot or catch a fish on a trip, but if he was that unprepared he would have known how unhappy I would have been and that I didn't think he deserved it. Hopefully it is a lesson learned for all involved, sorry about your trip. We all have bad days at work and this is what most of these guides do for a living.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

as some have said, no guarantee to kill but if you do your business right and make a trip worth remembering people will still come back but if you pull crap as described you will get a bad rap and no future business.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
as some have said, no guarantee to kill but if you do your business right and make a trip worth remembering people will still come back but if you pull crap as described you will get a bad rap and no future business.
Roger that
Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
For shizzle
Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,551

Quote:
amen...and I believe that was biggun intentions with this post...and why a forum like ours is beneficial to an outdoorsman...lesson learned!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 623

i know who u are talking about and my buddy told me they killed 3 snows yesterday morning and seen no ducks at all.. and havent killed anything hardly at all past few weeks... i guess they will do anything to make money
Old 01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Guys The Young man step out of the truck with a t-shirt and under-armour shorts on.

I POST ON THE SITE OFTEN AND I"M A REGULAR HERE....

He NEVER Pulled up his hip boots. NEVER went to move the speck decoys up wind. Never went out to get the sunken duck decoys. The water was STAGGENT in the blind. Must have been 20-30 plastic bottles in the blind.

Oh BTW It was THIS MORNING.. Good wind , nice and cool.

SOME OF YOU ARE RIGHT. I SHOULD HAVE LEFT when I saw the blind in that condition.

WE NEVER SAW ONE DUCK. THERE are very FEW GUYS on this site or Professional guides that can CALL SPECKS in my league.

I have the Gueydan DUCK FESTIVAL and LA state champion trophies to back it up.

My younger son is a 4 time duck festival and state champion.

I was a professional guide for over 20 years. I know what a blind SHOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN YOU BRING PAYING CLIENTS.

I was there to CHECK OUT THE operation because I had several doctors and lawyers who wanted to hunt this weekend if it was an up and up operation

PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! IT WAS NOT. I can take any of you out to this blind and an let you look at it.

And if you come away saying there was ducks killed YESTERDAY in it I"LL KISS YOUR A-- ON CAMERA to BE PLACED ON THIS SITE.

If any of you doubt my speck calling experience. I ask you invite me to call for you in your blind and if I can't call I'll PAY YOU.

THE YOUNG GUY LIED. Plain and SIMPLE.

PS. He kept saying it was going to be GREAT FOR THE CONSERVATION SEASON.... HE WAS BOOKING ALOT OF HUNTS.

IF YOU BOOKED A HUNT WITH HIM DON"T GO..

I PAID THE YOUNG MAN. BUT I DID IT WITH CLENCHED TEETH.......

Thanks

Biggun

337-781-9581
Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

When the blind had water up to seat....hunts over....shells still on ground hunts over......if your that lazy and don't pick up your shells or bail blind......your not a hunter....
Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
And if you come away saying there was ducks killed YESTERDAY in it I"LL KISS YOUR A-- ON CAMERA to BE PLACED ON THIS SITE.
That was great.....Hell hath no fury like a duck hunter scorned. I actually have a couple of buddies from Iota I might be able to get the low down on Mr. Chapman from.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I have speck calling trophies but I will be the first to say those competitions don't mean jack ****. Competition calling and goose calling are 2 completely different animals.

Just sayin...