SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334
Default Heartworm Treatment Protocol

Gerald has a dog that is HW pos and called to ask about the route his vet is taking on treatment. Figured this might help some of you who have go through the treatment or will eventually.

http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjheartwormtreatment.html
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

I went through the treatment last year. 2 months of keeping dog locked up in a/c enviroment was hard to do. Sucked, I def learned my lesson.

Last edited by Lake Chuck Duck; 05-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Redfish

Cash: 795

Yes it does suck LCD
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by geralddct View Post
Yes it does suck LCD
Was your dog on Heartguard? Did you miss a dose or not? I know of about a dozen positives on Heartguard. I just started mine on the 6 month proheart injections and I am keeping her on heartguard. I don't want to have to go through what you are about to do.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Swordfish

I gave my dog the monthly pill but it wasnt exactly on the month every month. Sometimes I would be a couple weeks late. On an occasion or two even longer. They offered a month or 2 month treatment of Arsenic I believe. The one month they would have given her injections all at once. The 2 month the injections are split a month apart. Takes longer but is considered safer for the dog and more effective treatment.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Redfish

I have him on interceptor and never missed a pill always gave it to him on the 1st of every month they are becomeing immune to the pills is what the vets are saying.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Quote:
I have him on interceptor and never missed a pill always gave it to him on the 1st of every month they are becomeing immune to the pills is what the vets are saying.
Yes, they are saming the same about Heartguard. You think they could have told everyone to switch when they started seeing this. Way too many dogs I know of for them not to know.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Redfish

Keep track of all your receipts and try to buy from your vet that way they have all the paper work that you bought the med and the co. Will probably pay for the treatment, that's what they did for me. The treatment is expensive so every little bit helps.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 599

My dog was on heart guard and never missed and got heart worms, they did pay for the treatment though. When I asked the vet after the treatment what I should give him she wouldn't recommend anything to me!! So I told her all the other dogs I ever had got Ivomect and never had a problem, she said that is the best drug on the market they just cant recommend it because it has not been tested on dogs, she said that's what her dogs get, so that was good enough for me. you just have to get the regular ivomect and not the plus, the plus can kill them. Oh yea and when the vet told me he had to be in the A/C while the treatment process was going on and he had to be penned up for 10 weeks I told her she was crazy!! I was not going to share my house with a 100 pound rottweiler!! He turned out just fine though I put a fan on him.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

I know several people that have dogs that recently got heartworms. Heartguard paid for all of their treatments. Just sucks for the dogs they can't do anything for a couple months after the treatment.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
I know several people that have dogs that recently got heartworms. Heartguard paid for all of their treatments. Just sucks for the dogs they can't do anything for a couple months after the treatment.
Your right it does suck for the dog, interceptor also paid for mine(Is paying) and I don't keep him in the house also.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Your right it does suck for the dog, interceptor also paid for mine(Is paying) and I don't keep him in the house also.
Unfortunately I didnt have the purchase record/reciepts to prove a regular 6 month on the dot purchase so I had to shell out $400!

As far as suckin for the dog, mine came off 2 months of being locked up and right into teal season. After about 2 birds she just started lookin at me like I was crazy.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkyle323 View Post
My dog was on heart guard and never missed and got heart worms, they did pay for the treatment though. When I asked the vet after the treatment what I should give him she wouldn't recommend anything to me!! So I told her all the other dogs I ever had got Ivomect and never had a problem, she said that is the best drug on the market they just cant recommend it because it has not been tested on dogs, she said that's what her dogs get, so that was good enough for me. you just have to get the regular ivomect and not the plus, the plus can kill them. Oh yea and when the vet told me he had to be in the A/C while the treatment process was going on and he had to be penned up for 10 weeks I told her she was crazy!! I was not going to share my house with a 100 pound rottweiler!! He turned out just fine though I put a fan on him.
Ivermec is def. the ticket... Cheaper and more importantly it WORKS. Vets don't recommend it because they don't sell it and the feed store does. Just keep up with the dogs weight so you don't overdose them.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkyle323 View Post
It has been tested on dogs and it is the same ingredient used in Heartguard (Ivermectin). There was a fatality involved with the testing and it was a Collie, so it is advisable not to use on those breeds. I personally believe the delivery method Heartguard uses is the weak link in their product. The large breed dose is good for 51-100# dogs which makes me believe they don't get the full dosage past the half way point. 1/10 cc per 10# of body weight is the standard dosage I use and some use that twice a month but I believe it to be overkill. I have two on ProHeart and Ivermect each month since they are different drugs and vet said it would not hurt. So far, in the 15 years I have been at this ivermect has been all I have used and it has done well for me.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It has been tested on dogs and it is the same ingredient used in Heartguard (Ivermectin). There was a fatality involved with the testing and it was a Collie, so it is advisable not to use on those breeds. I personally believe the delivery method Heartguard uses is the weak link in their product. The large breed dose is good for 51-100# dogs which makes me believe they don't get the full dosage past the half way point. 1/10 cc per 10# of body weight is the standard dosage I use and some use that twice a month but I believe it to be overkill. I have two on ProHeart and Ivermect each month since they are different drugs and vet said it would not hurt. So far, in the 15 years I have been at this ivermect has been all I have used and it has done well for me.
I'm sure when this is all said and done I will me be double dipping him also
Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Sailfish

Not sure if this has any affect on the absorption but I always give my ivermect after they have been fed. If they have a the runs or or puke, I give it again two days later. Have had dogs puke the chews and crap them on occasion.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: 599

Yea the vet said heart guard does not have enough ivermectin in it and that's the reason dogs get heart worms while on it.. She also said that it's not good to overdose them with it all the time but it won't hurt them that easily neither as they have medicine out there with 3 times the dose of a tenth cc per 10 pounds to cure dogs with mites