SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189
Default ? About offshore inspection/ndt bizz

Im seriously thinking bout getting into the jnspection bizz offshore...im waiting for test results on my api 570 right now...but am currently a level 2 across the board....my question to all of you who do this offshore is is the money better than on land and also what are the schedules like in this field?..ive never done this offshore before so I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I would be interested in this also.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android dominating the world!)
Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

No doubt there is alot of money to be made....I did inspection work offshore for a year and hated it. The work is not bad just no schedule unless you are doing EC work. Even EC can have crazy schedules. Sometimes we would do a job out of venice,drive home and go straight back out the same night. Im sure not all companys are like this,just my experience.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Everyone I know in the inspection business offshore is on 24 hour call.

I also had a buddy that worked a land job at a fab yard and was pretty much stationed there. He made 20-28 hours a day and was home everday for 6 doing x-ray work.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Everyone I know in the inspection business offshore is on 24 hour call.

I also had a buddy that worked a land job at a fab yard and was pretty much stationed there. He made 20-28 hours a day and was home everday for 6 doing x-ray work.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Yes Mr. know it all.

They shoot an x-ray that takes an hour and bill the company 3 hours,
They go to another job in the same yard and shoot 4 x-rays takes 2 hours they bill the company 4 hours, now you worked 3 hours and billed 7 to the company and so on and so forth.

They get paid on the hours they BILL not the hours they are they there. Shoot more x-rays, bill more hours.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Yes Mr. know it all.

They shoot an x-ray that takes an hour and bill the company 3 hours,
They go to another job in the same yard and shoot 4 x-rays takes 2 hours they bill the company 4 hours, now you worked 3 hours and billed 7 to the company and so on and so forth.

They get paid on the hours they BILL not the hours they are they there. Shoot more x-rays, bill more hours.
W knows it all.....I had checks where I made 200 hours in overtime. Company I worked for had a 5 hour min even if it took 10 mins to do the job. Hit a few like that a day and you would rake in the hours. Made awesome money but never had time off and could not plan anything on 24hr call.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

When I was in the field supervising, I may go for two but, we were to charge for 12 and, that was for each job number they called us for. There were several times where I had flagged 48 hours in 8 hours. That said, I don't miss it!

Offshore would be pretty cool but, going by what inspectors I know personally have told me, I'd be after the 510, 653 and, CWI to go with that 570. When you aquire all those certs, you can pretty much write your own check! I know several of them that have made ridiculous money with those certs and, have gotten to see the world!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720
Default Cert's

With those cert's---overseas is $. We have company inspectors leaving for the same reason. Leaving a major corporation with a six figure income, insurance, thrift, sick leave, vacation,-----------should say something. While working in Lake Charles doing the NDT thing I have billed up to 36 hours in a day. 4 hour minimum per job # is a sweet thing.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Great White

It is something you would have to experience first hand to see if it's the job for you. I am a simple man money isn't everything to me. Back to being my own boss turning wrenches and loving it.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
It is something you would have to experience first hand to see if it's the job for you. I am a simple man money isn't everything to me. Back to being my own boss turning wrenches and loving it.
Working on boats again?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Great White

Boats,four wheelers,vehicles,anything with a motor. Well I won't fool with jet ski's....
Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
When I was in the field supervising, I may go for two but, we were to charge for 12 and, that was for each job number they called us for. There were several times where I had flagged 48 hours in 8 hours. That said, I don't miss it!

Offshore would be pretty cool but, going by what inspectors I know personally have told me, I'd be after the 510, 653 and, CWI to go with that 570. When you aquire all those certs, you can pretty much write your own check! I know several of them that have made ridiculous money with those certs and, have gotten to see the world!

I plan on it man unfortunately you can only aquire 1 at a time and it takes alot of prep work and study for each one which can get tough while working call out x ray.

I really asked about this cause my friend said he works a 7 on 7 off schedule doing this and makes 100+ hours the week he works no matter what...and he pretty much hops around a few diff rigs....I thinknid be alright if I could get on something like this offshore but not 24 hour call bs. Thats the reason im even considering it...I make excellent money now and am able to give my wife and little boy everything they want but im unhappy because I have no time with them...I work all the time and get ran like a dog job after job...ive asked to go in house on a set schedule somewheres but that is on straight 40 and I want a little more than that...I guess im saying a whole week off with my little boy would be great after a 100 hour work week.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Great White

If you can get on 7 and 7 that is almost a dream job. I would jump on that in a heartbeat.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
I plan on it man unfortunately you can only aquire 1 at a time and it takes alot of prep work and study for each one which can get tough while working call out x ray.

I really asked about this cause my friend said he works a 7 on 7 off schedule doing this and makes 100+ hours the week he works no matter what...and he pretty much hops around a few diff rigs....I thinknid be alright if I could get on something like this offshore but not 24 hour call bs. Thats the reason im even considering it...I make excellent money now and am able to give my wife and little boy everything they want but im unhappy because I have no time with them...I work all the time and get ran like a dog job after job...ive asked to go in house on a set schedule somewheres but that is on straight 40 and I want a little more than that...I guess im saying a whole week off with my little boy would be great after a 100 hour work week.

Yeah, those certs take a lot of time, money and, effort to acquire. 7 and 7 would be awesome and, I'd be after your friend to get me more details so that, maybe, you wouldn't be the call-out guy....That guy's life sucks!...I've been him before.

That said, I walked completely away from the industry over what you mentioned with your wife and kid. I watched my son learn to walk in an email. Not cool! It was a big pay cut initially and, a huge lifestyle change, for sure! Whatever you do, don't miss those young years!

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Yeah, those certs take a lot of time, money and, effort to acquire. 7 and 7 would be awesome and, I'd be after your friend to get me more details so that, maybe, you wouldn't be the call-out guy....That guy's life sucks!...I've been him before.

That said, I walked completely away from the industry over what you mentioned with your wife and kid. I watched my son learn to walk in an email. Not cool! It was a big pay cut initially and, a huge lifestyle change, for sure! Whatever you do, don't miss those young years!

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Thanks man I sure have missed enough.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
King Mackeral

NVI anyone ever work for them or bayou inspection.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Great White

NVI is a good company from what I hear....2 guys I worked with came from bayou said it was a joke.