SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Redfish

Cash: 969
Default Grand Isle Questions.... Several of Them

Hi all. I've lived in LA for eleven years, and last year found myself standing in the surf in 35 mph wind, "fishing" a popping cork with a shrimp under it in 3-4 foot waves. I say this because, while I'm somewhat book smart, I can do terribly stupid things if not pointed in the right direction. By the end of the year, I'd caught red and black drum, some decent sized gaff tops, and enough hardheads to fill a WalMart. So I made some progress. I kind of learned how to set up a small rig for the surf, and I learned that weather was more than an optional thing to check on.

So, in two weeks, I'm taking my dad, who's from Missouri, down to Grand Isle. We have disguised this fishing trip as a quick family getaway, by renting a house on the beach, and bringing wives and kids. My two targets will be fishing the surf (weather dependent) and hitting the fishing bridge. So in no particular order, here are my questions......

1. What kind of fish should I target at the bridge, and in the surf? Seems like reds and blacks should be biting, but I'd love to catch a few specks if possible.

2. I want to get a decent rod and reel for the surf. I have several decent bass rods, but want one (maybe two) set ups that I can get out past that second sandbar. I'd love to get my dad hooked into a nice bull red. Budget for one good combo is $150-$200.

3. When I'm fishing the big rig, I plan on using cut mullet. What size weight, and should I just set it up Carolina Rig style? If cut mullet isn't what I should be using, let me know what would be better. I have a cast net, but watching me throw that is more of a comedy routine, than productive bait gathering avenue.

4. Any other general thoughts are appreciated. Thanks a lot! Hopefully, in two weeks, I'll be posting pictures of my grand day at Grand Isle!!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

First off Welcome to the Site.

Lots of time people go in chest deep water to catch specks and scratch. The locals don't get their knees wet and the limit out on the beach....... How, They keep moving, walk with the beach. Fish between the first sandbar and the beach. Use a tandem rigged soft plastics (gulp, H&H cacahoe, Deadly Dudleys, whatever you pefer) 1/4 oz jighead bounce them off the bottom, if that don't work swim them, if that don't work throw topwater. Use 2 different colors, if you catching on one color and not the other switch them out to the same color.

If the camp you renting has a boiling pot for you to use try to fish some crabs for a change of pace. Set up a pa-lon. 2 poles about 10' long stick them in the sand 100' part running parralel to the beach. Run a 1/4" rope between them and off that rope tie a piece of string about 10' long on it. One end of the string will be tied to your main line and bait on the other, I use chicken leg quarters, it $.59 a pound and last a while.

There's a few grand isle experts around here, hopefully they'll be along to help you out.

Make sure you post your results!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Redfish

Now, when you say between the first sandbar and the beach, I'm assuming I still have to throw behind where the waves are breaking, right? And would specks be biting in the surf in late March? Thanks so much.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

YeA.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

2 poles about 10' long stick them in the sand 100' part running parralel to the beach. Run a 1/4" rope between them and off that rope tie a piece of string about 10' long on it.

I think he meant to say 10" long string. You might want to consider putting this line just past the last sandbar (gulf side) as the crabs closer in tend to have mucho sand inside them due to the surf action.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
Now, when you say between the first sandbar and the beach, I'm assuming I still have to throw behind where the waves are breaking, right? And would specks be biting in the surf in late March? Thanks so much.

Throw behind the breakers.

Specks are starting to move out of the interior now and headed to the Coastal lakes now and should be starting to bite on the beaches by that time.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Get to the bridge right before dark. Hang a lantern down to the water. Youll catch trout all night as long as the tide is moving. Won't be fast and furious, but you'll catch.

Spotlight flounder in the surf at night too. ..right against the beach.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Also go try off the side of hwy 1. The canal that leads to Elmer's island bridge area and the next bridge up the road can both be good spots to fish
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Great White

oh and about #2 you dont need a heavy duty rod to catch bull reds. Ive got them in with a med action rod before. I would get a med or med/heavy spinning rod with a 4000 series reel such as a shimano symetre. Be careful about bringing some bass rods in the surf because if the reel is not approved for saltwater use then it will get ate up quick
Old 03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Redfish

Thanks for all the tips. My dad and I are going to run to the bridge that first evening. I figure we can get some tips, and maybe catch a few while we are there. I do have a couple more questions.

If I want to get out in between the first and second sandbars, about how far is that?

And regarding crabs, I've caught them several times at roadside ditches, but never in the surf. Will they be in the surf this early in the year? And I'm not too clear on what you described above. Do I run a string between the two pipes, and have bait chunks along the string?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. And to think, I have many more. I'll try to pace myself.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Great White

Not very far depending on where you are on the island

About the crabs we tie weights to the bottom of our strings. Usually 3oz or so
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363292246.703781.jpg
We use chicken or turkey necks for bait. And use 2-4ft of string hanging off the main line in several spots. Depending on the depth you have your poles set at. To check lines bring a net and slowly pull-up strings and be prepared to scoop under before you see the crabs. Usually if you see them it's too late and they let go of the line. I don't know if it's too early in the year to crab in the surf though, I normally do it during the summer.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

We've caught most of our bulls on cracked crabs. The second best bait is a live, freshly caught fish, sand trout and croaker in the 4-12" range work well. They work well alive, but we've caught bull reds on freshly deceased croaker and snad trout. Shrimp are the third best bet.

Cut mullet is a dead last bait in terms of catching bulls. Our last trip, we gave cut mullet at least 1/3 of the effort. The final body count was cut mullet: 0; cracked crab: 10. I hear that there are days when cut mullet catches and everything else blows, but I haven't fished one yet.

Changing location is a better bet than changing baits (in my opinion). If you strike out on the beach and on the bridge, the jetties on the east side of the pass have always looked appealing. You'll need a good, long cast to get to the first drop in depth.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Redfish

Do you use live crab when you are doing cracked crab? I watched a thing on YouTube, and it looks like you basically remove all appendages, open it up, and use a half of the crab. I could tell if it was live though.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Between the first bar and beach will not be on right now
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Get to the bridge right before dark. Hang a lantern down to the water. Youll catch trout all night as long as the tide is moving. Won't be fast and furious, but you'll catch.

Spotlight flounder in the surf at night too. ..right against the beach.
Forgot to mention.....you'll need a gig or golf shoes for the surf flounder.

And yes, you fish reds carolina rigged in the pass (east or west of the island near the gulf) with 1 or 2 oz weight depending on current.

Last edited by Dink; 03-14-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling like W
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Do you use live crab when you are doing cracked crab? I watched a thing on YouTube, and it looks like you basically remove all appendages, open it up, and use a half of the crab. I could tell if it was live though.
Live is better than dead, fresh is better than frozen. Remove claws (and save in case you run out of crab), pop the top of the shell off, leave legs on, break in half down the middle, and hook behind rearmost leg. A size 6/0 hook is about right for half of a typical market sized crab or a bit smaller crab.

The easiest way to hook up the claws if you have to is to poke two holes (in and out) with a nail, or screwdriver or similar. The claw will stay on the hook much better with two small holes than if you completely crush the claw. Claws will catch fish better than mullet on days when the fish prefer crabs, which is most days in my experience.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

Another thing. Be prepared to catch only female crabs on the beach. Not positive why but i think its coz they lay their eggs there. Speaking of eggs, dont keep any with eggs. Ldwf really frowns on that
Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Redfish

Thanks for the tip. Can you buy crabs at the bridge marina to use as bait? Also, what about rod holders? I've read things that say you need to use galvanized pipe and the like. Is it cool to just use PVC, drive it into the ground and go to town? So many questions. I apologize for my truly simplistic knowledge of all this.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Can you buy crabs at the bridge marina to use as bait? Also, what about rod holders? I've read things that say you need to use galvanized pipe and the like. Is it cool to just use PVC, drive it into the ground and go to town? So many questions. I apologize for my truly simplistic knowledge of all this.
Buying crabs in GI can be tricky at some times a year. There are times when the local seafood shops will have them, but times when they don't. Unless you call ahead and confirm availability on the day you plan to pick them up, buying live crabs is a dicey deal. I would recommend that you stop at the first place that says they have live crabs as you are headed south on LA 1. Once you pass Cut Off, you should start seeing some places, I think we've gotten the most reliable crabs in Golden Meadow. There are times of the year when you can't get crabs anywhere south of Leeville.

The bait shops don't carry crabs with any regularity.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Beach in 2 weeks.... Possible but not likely for trout. May have some bull reds running. I'd fish the 2 bridges once you get off the island. Bring a pair of waders n walk out on the downside current on then small bridges. Use a sparkle beetle .