SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Flounder

Cash: 755
Default Catching red's with cracked crab

Hi,
I have been reading lots of reports of people catching red's on cracked crabs during the cooler weather and would like to get some advice on how this type of fishing works.

First it appears most are using Carolina rigs which is not problem but what I need help on is what types of places you should set up on. It appears the fish are in deeper water with a tide but that takes in lots of variables. Also, if you can't get cracked crabs will market shrimp work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,576

find moving water or outlets near marshes or marshy areas...or wiers or the jettys (big lake specific)...or on the beach launch a crab out der and wait...they'll find it...
Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I really prefer the outside of the jetties in Calcasieu. Water 10-16 ft deep. I'll move inside the pass if the water is moving there, but not too fast, otherwise, there is no way to keep the crab anywhere close to the bottom. Belle pass and caminada pass I prefer inside the pass. Beaches are trickier, I like to use either the sonar, past experience, or a slight variation in the wave motion to pick a good spot. I like to throw out three or four lines with cracked crab and make sure the rods are well secured in stout holders.

My brother taught me a trick that works very well to increase hook ups. Keep the drag loose, and when you see the fish running with the bait, count to six before picking the rod up and tightening the drag. We don't set the hook, by the count of six, the redfish has hooked himself. We use J hooks, size 7/0 on normal market size blue crabs. I also like to fish with a bit of shrimp on the bottom also. A 6-12" long sand trout or croaker is better redfish bait under most conditions than cracked crab. I keep some 9/0 to 11/0 hooks handy. My biggest redfish ever was on a 13" croaker. My son's biggest was on a 12" sand trout. We've had lots of fine fish on cracked crab also, but I hope you don't mind some drum mixed in.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Flounder

Cash: 755
Default Thanks

I know a large percentage of the folks on this forum fish Big Lake but we mostly fish the marsh in the Dulac area. Anyone had experience fishing cracked crab in that area?

Thanks again.

ccm
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,295

In dulac try cuts from marsh that meet the navigational canal.. Find the drop off and hold on. Falling tide would be best
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Hit Grand Pass to the SW side. We catch Bug Drum and reds there. Put you crabs on ice and hook them through there back paddle fin with a Carolina rig. Put the weight about 3' from the hook and hold on
Old 10-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Redfish

Cash: 758

Use a circle hook that way the fish doesn't swallow the hook and can be released with minimal abuse.