SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007
Default boat axles $$

Had an axle break on tandem mcclain trailer. Looking for best deal around lake charles or internet for new axle purchase. Any ideas. Also this one has a drop on sides of axle and wondering what difference if installed straight axle this time. Being lower to ground seems to be only issue-- any opinions ? Im installing myself.

thx
Old 03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,087

Go to tops in sulphur they sale new trailer axles all sizes
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripley View Post
Go to tops in sulphur they sale new trailer axles all sizes
Yep. Also most marine dealers can get them also. I know Jerry's can and they sale McLain
Old 03-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543
Default boat axles $$

Bowtie Marina does really good work and is very reasonable. They may sell you one at a good price and have the answer to your question.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

the drop may be because it is a vee trailer, do the cross members have a dip also?

I don't suppose it matters much but that dip helps protect something hitting the motor or lower unit if its down when trailered.

if you put it on yourself be careful to see where the bend is, they all have a slight bend to flex straight when under load and you need to be sure you put it on with the bend arching straight up.

if it were me I would replace both axles with new torsion axles and be done with those noisy rusty springs forever and the boat rides a lot smoother with them.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Flounder

Cash: 434

As much as I hate to do business there Jerry's usually has best prices!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

I think i like the torsion axle idea too and i am gonna replace both to be safe. This one broke in neighborhood heading out this am. Could of been in a pickle if on hwy. Someone said they also have an axle with grease insert so no more buddy bearings. That would be sweet also.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

X3 on the torsion axels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Red Snapper

just measure things so its all straight and square to get everything in alignment then they just clamp on with ubolts.

these look to be a great price: http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...sion-axle.aspx

just measure trailer frame width so the pads sit under them, you may need to cut off and grind smooth where the spring bolt connections were and then the fenders might need to be redrilled in a new location when your done
Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
just measure things so its all straight and square to get everything in alignment then they just clamp on with ubolts.

these look to be a great price: http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...sion-axle.aspx

just measure trailer frame width so the pads sit under them, you may need to cut off and grind smooth where the spring bolt connections were and then the fenders might need to be redrilled in a new location when your done
Good source, not bad prices on tires either.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
X3 on the torsion axels

The worst things that ever came, out for saltwater ! You can't inspect them!By that I mean see any or the 4 courl springs in the axles!!!! And they break often in saltwater!... for Fresh water, or trailers just on the highwhy there great!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
The worst things that ever came, out for saltwater ! You can't inspect them!By that I mean see any or the 4 courl springs in the axles!!!! And they break often in saltwater!... for Fresh water, or trailers just on the highwhy there great!

I've never used em in saltwater. But we had em on out ProGator trailer and on a couple other bigger trailers and they were great for that

Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Red Snapper

Just my 2 since and experience with mine and a few buddies with the same problem, maybe the new ones have new or better seals in them.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
I've never used em in saltwater. But we had em on out ProGator trailer and on a couple other bigger trailers and they were great for that

I got them on a couple cow trailers,(24&a36) and love them but went back to springs and hangers on my bay boat and 3 axle offshore boat. Even washing them everytime they were in and out the water, could only get a year or two out of them we to springs and hangers and going on 5 years now. But half the year they get drug 500 miles round trip every other week or so. So they my not be bad if your not traveling distance like that. Again I love them on the two cow trailers, (no trouble in 8 year's) and they make 50-70 thousand miles a year, also have them on my lake boat, and they been holding strong after 4 year's
Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
what is there to inspect???

torsion axles today are built with square tube and neoprene rubber cord.

there is nothing to break or wear out and if it did fail it would fail (only possible by the rubber falling out) it would just squat low in the fully compressed position (still not hitting the fender) and you just lose the shock absorbsion.

look into how boat trailer torsion axles are made today, they haven't been built with metal springs in them for many many years now.

read this and you will see a few designs of how boat trailer torsion axles are made today: http://www.ucfamerica.com/FlexirideT...EAKTHROUGH.pdf
Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Red Snapper

Like i said they may of changed them in the last few year's but the 3 sets they replaced on my two saltwater trailers sucked that's why I went to springs again and never had any trouble since, but not saying there not going just just don't want them on either of my saltwater trailers.