SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Flounder

Cash: 511
Default motor guide quick release

I don't know if anyone uses motorguide 's quick release , I use it to remove my trolling motor and move to another rig . I have had less than stellar performance from them, to the tune of 5, all broke the center section tab .I have talked to a machinist that is going to make them from aluminum. if anyone else has had this problem and is interested in fixing it pm me .
thanks
Ed
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

what model motor and type of mounting bracket do you have?

seams odd to make it out of plastic but I guess they figure its not under any direct pressure.

could it be an alignment issue from the impact of dropping the motor, as in impacting the catch at a poor angle?

just wondering since the problems you've had if you spent time diagnosing the defect in design?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 511

82 lb Motorguide 60" shaft . Yep this was a pita ,looked at alignment , stress points , bounce with waves , sun deteriation you name it . first ones lasted 3 years then failure of 2 thought that was a fluke replaced them .... then failure again . I started looking at troll tamer thinking that would solve the problem , that thing is locked down . motor doesn't bounce now but it didn't before . nope ...well now its gonna be machined aluminum just thought if anyone else had this problem there may be a fix in the making . for the life of me I can't see spending a grand each on trolling motors on 2 boats when I can move one from boat to boat .