SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902
Default Any Schedulers?

Title pretty much says it. Seeing if any of y'all are schedulers in the plants, etc.
Literally know very little about it. Just got some advice and was searching Into it. Or even planners while we are on the subject.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I my various jobs, I did lots of "scheduling" and "planning". I did daily S&P as well as longer range things for production and maintenance.

From your question....... I am not sure what information you are looking for.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I have a scheduler/planner who works for me. To be honest it would be an extremely boring job to me. He attends all of the meetings for all departments and basically runs a spread sheet. He knows everyone and is a really likeable guy but doesn't really ''do'' anything.

Another of my colleagues used to work as one and he hated it. His title was simops coordinator and shut down planner. Said he did the same thing. On the plus side you do get to interact with lots of departments and see what goes on in them and see how the big picture comes together. I think it would be a good stepping stool for a later carer in management but would be easy to get stuck in.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I know a chic who is a scheduler for LOOP, she schedules off loads of ships and makes some serious bank.

I also know a guy who is a scheduler at Dow Chem in TAFT, he gets paid very well too. He schedules rail car off loading and loading.

Last edited by swamp snorkler; 08-26-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:34 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I have a scheduler/planner who works for me. To be honest it would be an extremely boring job to me. He attends all of the meetings for all departments and basically runs a spread sheet. He knows everyone and is a really likeable guy but doesn't really ''do'' anything.

Another of my colleagues used to work as one and he hated it. His title was simops coordinator and shut down planner. Said he did the same thing. On the plus side you do get to interact with lots of departments and see what goes on in them and see how the big picture comes together. I think it would be a good stepping stool for a later carer in management but would be easy to get stuck in.
haha, very accurate description.

good thing about it is the turnaround planning pays very good money if you wanna be a money $!#*.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Lots of money to be made in shutdown planning and scheduling if your willing to travel. You better like to sit behind a computer for long hours. SAP is the pc program that we use. I typically spend 4-6 hours on it a 9 hr day. In our plant us planners do a lot of planning especially with contractors. We also do some supervising as well. This probably isn't the norm at most places however.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I hired in as a scheduler about a year ago, pay wasn't bad but def not great, but I'm only 23 so they kind of low balled me. But that just depends on who you work for. It's not the most fun thing I've ever done I can tell you that much. lol I work for a contractor so as far as production goes I don't deal with that much, unless coordinating with them during a shut down that we are involved in. I had zero training going into it, but after about 3 weeks of shadowing I was able to do it on my own. Basically all your information that you would have to use came from other people/contractors etc. So yea, it kind of seems like they don't actually "do" anything. I would say it's def a good step towards management, within 9 months I've moved up to a planner, due to a previous planner taking a new postion.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Shawn Braquet which plant are you at?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Pretty much looking for what degree/qualifications are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

I am going on my 4th year as a scheduler and you can't push me out of this career with a filthy mop. I've worked in Industrial and Large Commercial. Ability to easily make 6 figures within 3-5 years(and you usually get OT), you don't have the stressful responsibility of a Project Manager(been there done that, sucks), you work a schedule similar to engineers most of the time, and you get to work in the office and field 50/50 for the most part. Great opportunity to be involved with all phases and departments of construction/projects from walking with field personnel to develop a plan and then updating executives on schedule and cost performance. As far as degrees or qualifications, they range from no degree to Masters in Engineering or Business. There is some computer software to learn and get certified on but thats about it. Very good opportunity for many people.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Tripletail

Huntinfool, if I were you I'd get my mechanical engineering degree and then go from there. It will open up as many doors as youd like from safety, scheduling, project management, and obviously engineering. You have a good 5 years to set up your next 50-60, don't take any shortcuts.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
Shawn Braquet which plant are you at?
Lanxess in Orange, TX.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
Lots of money to be made in shutdown planning and scheduling if your willing to travel. You better like to sit behind a computer for long hours. SAP is the pc program that we use. I typically spend 4-6 hours on it a 9 hr day. In our plant us planners do a lot of scheduling especially with contractors and during turnarounds. We also do some supervising as well. This probably isn't the norm at most places however.
Correction to this
Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
Huntinfool, if I were you I'd get my mechanical engineering degree and then go from there. It will open up as many doors as youd like from safety, scheduling, project management, and obviously engineering. You have a good 5 years to set up your next 50-60, don't take any shortcuts.
You planning on working 50-60 yrs?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
You planning on working 50-60 yrs?
No, but i plan on spending the money for the next 50-60 years that I make in the next 30-40.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post

Good point