SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 780
Default when to crab?

I always go crabbin in the morning. Like fishing, I find the best time to catch is early in the morning. I have never been in the afternoon. Have any of y'all gone in the afternoons and done any good? Maybe during the afternoon outgoing tide?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I never go crabbing real early because I normally do good at any time of the day. Some [most] places you will catch much better when the water is moving.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Dont think it really matters about time... But if ur goin off the bank somewhere u gotta go early to get a decent spot.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android dominating the world!)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 681

I don't think you have to go in the morning. Last June during the full moon I had to bring my son to work with me in Cameron. I left work at around two and we went down Rutherford Beach Rd which is normally pretty slow. We had six crabs before we even put bait in the water and we left after 20 mins of crabbing with two dozen pretty nice crabs. During a full moon a good time to hunt deer is sometimes from noon unitl 2 or 3. Maybe crabbing is the same way. I think most people go in the morning to get a spot, beat the heat, and catch them and have time to get back home and boil them and eat them.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,119

Before I bought a boat me and the wife used to go to rockefella crabbing and we always went in the afternoon around 2 or 3. If they caught in the morning we caught in the afternoon. Beats waking up at 4 in the morning. We boiled them the next day.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Tide movement plays the largest part of crabbing. In my opinion the bottom 1/2 of a falling tide (the 1-2 hr period where the tides going to be still moving but it is lowest) is the best possible time to crab.

2nd best is the top 1/2 of a rising tide.

good luck
Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
Tide movement plays the largest part of crabbing. In my opinion the bottom 1/2 of a falling tide (the 1-2 hr period where the tides going to be still moving but it is lowest) is the best possible time to crab.

2nd best is the top 1/2 of a rising tide.

good luck
Crab vs. Tide catching story

I was having a slow day catching crabs at Rockefeller with no tide movement. I had 2 or 3 dozen crabs and it was getting late. The tide just started going out and I stopped at a cut in the rocks not far from JH boat landing. I anchored so I was out of the current but could throw my bait [with ~ 3 oz. weight] up in the opening about 15' away.

I took up slack in the line as it quickly floated pasted me. When the line got tight, the crab would come up to the surface and "water ski" until I got in the net. I caught about 15 big crabs before I had to leave swift moving water spot.

I tried spots near the moving water.....but did much better in the strong current.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 611

I know allot of people believe that the crabs are the fullest on a full moon. I crab often and looked at the moon on almost every trip. I have opened full crabs on the full moon and also have opened empty crabs on a full mooon. To me moon phase has nothing to do with whether they are empty or not. I was wondering if anybody has ever monitored the moon phase and there results.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Redfish

Cash: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathauler View Post
I know allot of people believe that the crabs are the fullest on a full moon. I crab often and looked at the moon on almost every trip. I have opened full crabs on the full moon and also have opened empty crabs on a full mooon. To me moon phase has nothing to do with whether they are empty or not. I was wondering if anybody has ever monitored the moon phase and there results.
I have, and noticed no difference in how full they were.