SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Redfish

Cash: 695
Default The good and the bad of being stopped by the Game Warden

What experinces have you had when being stopped by the man hunting are fishing. Me personally they all have been average some good some bad. I will say the couple of tickets I have gotten in my many years of hunting and fishing I deserved. How about everyone else?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Redfish

Cash: 822

So far, all have been good experiences. Most of the time we talk about how the fishing/ hunting has been, and I usually get a few tips and a good report covering the last few days.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,654

Been stopped one time by the Game Warden once and they were real good about things, we had beer on the boat and drinking a few they told us to keep it under control and make sure the driver dont drink checked all our safety equip and on there way they went.
I think its all about how you react and treat them when it all comes down to it, if your courteous and respectful they will be also IMO.
Also had a game warden call me and leave a voicemail while i was fishing, he had parked next to me at Cal. Point and the parish was out there cutting grass and when he came back in he noticed my windshield was cracked and wanted to make sure it was taken care of if it happened there, something i really appreciated didnt expect it to be a good phone call lol his last name was Verret cant remember his first name.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Never have received a ticket in my 30 yrs of being eligible for license. Have been stopped a handful of times by state/Feds with mostly positive feedback. Find that if you act professional they will reciprocate.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I get stopped all the time, I've never got a violation from them, and I am always glad to know that they are out there doing there job! unfortunately there hardly ever there when you see people breaking the law! and I'm not talking about people not wearing there life jackets!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:22 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

Have gotten one citation and I deserved it. I was ignorant to the law and that is no excuse. The guys were nice and respectful. I have been stopped on time while fishing from the bank. Three of the four were really nice, one of the group was trying to prove his awesomeness so he was a douche. Other than that I say kudos to a really tough job where you know almost every person you come up on is packing heat.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Only have been checked one time while walking back to my truck from duck hunting. He asked what I had, checked for my plug, and for steel shot. I was legal so it was no issues!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

Got checked last time I went to White Lake , They slimmed up my boat counting the fish and checked everthing twice, I was informed that inflatable vest if not worn on person cannot be counted as a extra life vest . For the most part all went well with no citations.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 685

if you're on your p's and q's nothing to worry about, plenty of times we ran across wlf beyond blasted (not the driver) and they just told us to be safe.have all safety equipment needed, and go out and have fun, no sense in letting these guys ruin a day/ money spent on the fishing trip. (handle you business dont let your business handle you)
Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Yall can say,"if your good to them they are good to you." Yea thats b.s.

Started when I was 8. Buddy and I were fishing and got stopped. Warned for the following; Wired crab pot above ICW, Sitting on front deck (needed to be on the floor since under 13), he needed a sound device. No biggie.

Once I turned 10 and could run a boat, it was all down hill. For the most part they were fine, just the usual boaters card, registration, kill switch, life jacket check every week.

If I had a buddy and we were fishing it was bad. One that sticks out the best, 2 15 man limits of trout, 2 man limit of reds. Came through the barrier, seen the gamewarden, so I slowed down since he was writing someone a ticket, didn't want to throw a wake.
Once finished with them he chased me down and stopped me, measured all my reds (all were 18-20 inches by the way) and measured all the trout that looked 12 (all of our specks were 14 inches or greater. Best fishing trip I've had north of I10) after he played capt. ****, he asked us what we caught on and where. pffft

Other day, was on the river on my buds deckboat, ran it all day, cranked it and it wouldn't turn over, about the time we tried GW's rolled up and check us. My bud asks them to tow us to my house and they act like we are troubling them from there lovely stroll on the river. I told my buddy, see that bar on the back, its called a tow bar, they have it for a reason.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Never had any trouble....stay legal and your good to go.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

In high school, got busted for shooting geese after legal shooting hours. About 2 years ago, I was given a ticket for operating my go-devil without wearing a life vest. Law they just started with boat under 15' or something. Guy I lease from is a lawyer and wrote a letter to Vermillion Parish DA and got it dropped for me. Been checked probably 10x in my life.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I get checked ALL the time. Got checked twice one day by the same boat. Only ticket I ever got from wardens was in the gulf. Had 1 snapper over limit. Honest mistake we were catching lots of snapper one got to the bottom of the chest and was missed. $260 ticket. Now on that note. IMO all times checked by the wardens for me are bad. I can't stand being stopped when I'm not breaking the law. They assume you to be a criminal until you prove otherwise. No reasonable doubt to pull you over. Just my opinion. Now if I was doing something wrong or unsafe then I expect to get pulled over and cited. But fishing is not a crime. Sorry guys I just have a sour taste after all the times I've had to deal with them. Nothing personal to the wardens themselves.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I get checked ALL the time. Got checked twice one day by the same boat. Only ticket I ever got from wardens was in the gulf. Had 1 snapper over limit. Honest mistake we were catching lots of snapper one got to the bottom of the chest and was missed. $260 ticket. Now on that note. IMO all times checked by the wardens for me are bad. I can't stand being stopped when I'm not breaking the law. They assume you to be a criminal until you prove otherwise. No reasonable doubt to pull you over. Just my opinion. Now if I was doing something wrong or unsafe then I expect to get pulled over and cited. But fishing is not a crime. Sorry guys I just have a sour taste after all the times I've had to deal with them. Nothing personal to the wardens themselves.

Glad Im not the only one..
Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Biggest beef is the amount of times I have been stopped, twice in one day on two occasions for safety checks... Why cant we just have our boats inspected yearly and be issued a sticker like on your vehicle ???

The Coasties will at least give you a copy of their inspection form which is good for a year (i think)...

Still dont fully understand their "right" to stop and board your vessel without cause, perhaps someone could enlighten me... I tried asking at the fish cop booth during a boat show and got allot of song and dance, I know better than to ask on the water

Hydro
Old 08-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Sailfish

WLF are the only LEO's that do not need search warrants. Public safety trumps civil rights, any of you multiple check guys inform them that they had previously looked at you?? I practically ask them to check me on the water and most times they decline,guess it's my honest face! I agree they are usually not around when needed but I have listed the 800 # in my phone for such occasions now.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
WLF are the only LEO's that do not need search warrants. Public safety trumps civil rights, any of you multiple check guys inform them that they had previously looked at you?? I practically ask them to check me on the water and most times they decline,guess it's my honest face! I agree they are usually not around when needed but I have listed the 800 # in my phone for such occasions now.
I bring it up every time they check me on the river... They know me by my name.

A normal check goes like this :

Me: Sh** here they come, they green, mean, and full of steam.
GW: Good evening Brayden
Me: (depends on which one, im working on their names) hey officer *********
GW: Catchin' anything?
Me: When aren't I.
GW: Good point. Now, life jacket and kill switch.
Me: here ya go.
GW: Thanks Lil Wood, good luck
ME: No, thank you. See ya Saturday on the water.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:11 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Both occasions I politely stated, "you checked us this morning", and both times got the "and I am checking you again this afternoon" reply...

I will say this, since I sold the bayboat and am in a marsh rig now we get checked allot less often...

Had a bass rig before the bay boat when we lived in Stephensville and that thing was a fish cop magnet...
Old 08-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

I think it helps that my boat is an old game warden boat. Haven't been checked since I got it, and people are always muggin' me. Guess they think I'm one too.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Sailfish

BigGrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I think it helps that my boat is an old game warden boat. Haven't been checked since I got it, and people are always muggin' me. Guess they think I'm one too.
You need to beg,borrow,or steal one their caps!! I am going to try and get one to wear behind the weirs!