SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002
Default burnt eyes

any suggestions.

i have put potatoes, about a gal of drops, they still killing me. only relief i get at night is a cold rag over my eyes. this is not the first time this has happened but usaully i get some time away from it .i know i need to take time away from the welding but don't want to miss any time only a 2 week turnaround.

im fitting up pipe inside of a vessel and the flashing is hard to escape. not to mention they have air movers and wind is irratating it
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM
King Mackeral

Not much room to escape
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1306114378307.jpg (54.1 KB, 326 views)
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Cold, wet rag is really the only thing that works in the legal aspect aside from time. Boy, oh boy, that sucks!!!!!! Keep em closed as much as possible in the darkest room you have and keep em cool.

Protacaine(SP?) works wonders but, hard to get! Keep some Visine drops with you for the daytime, especially with the air movers beatin on em!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Blue Marlin

Who ya workin for and why aren't you guys in fresh air in that confined space with all the argon around?!

That hood looks very familiar!! Name?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
King Mackeral

its in cleco in boyce......and i asked the same question. guess they figured they had enough air moving
Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

Milk!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyShaw View Post
Milk!

as in put milk in my eyes.......im not above anything im a sissy when it comes to my eyes. serious pain i wouldnt wish this on anyone
Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

have heard of guys putting eye drops in a cooler then usein them, i have never welded much but theres no way you can use ssome gogles under the hood
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM
King Mackeral

im not welding im the fitter. i put a hood on but have to watch the level and tape while fitting all them little pipes coming up. so its only on while im waiting for the next fit
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

I'll ask my dad when he gets home.. He's a safety supervisor.. granted he'll Sh^T seeing yall dont have fresh air on, but he'll know some tips.. I had to walk him around when i was younger once when he got a chem. in his eye
Old 05-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Blue Marlin

Yeah, it's horrible! I had it the worst I ever got it last year and I knew it was coming. Went to bed and at 3 in the morning, my wife was wanting to call 911 because of my screaming and clenching anything I could get my hands on!

Keep in mind, my rig arced out about 3 inches in front of my face and due to how tight it was where I was having to weld I couldn't get in there with my hood down or even my safety glasses on! I could feel and smell the burning instantly!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
as in put milk in my eyes.......im not above anything im a sissy when it comes to my eyes. serious pain i wouldnt wish this on anyone
Yes sir warm milk, my uncle told me to give it a shot and I was up to try anything at that point. It seemed to releive it some, but I went to the doc the next day and gave me some kind of topical ointment and eye drops. I asked the doc about the milk he said it was a big no no to put anything in your eyes but hell what does he know it made my eyes feel better so yep
Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

My dad said, potatoes under the cold wet rag, they don;t make the medicine he used anymore
Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Flounder

Cash: 596

Try vicks salve and rub it around the eye but be careful not it get it in the eye itself. Laydown and be still and it will work wonders. I have used it many times offshore when we had nothen else. Trust me it works.
Reelman
Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Yeah, it's horrible! I had it the worst I ever got it last year and I knew it was coming. Went to bed and at 3 in the morning, my wife was wanting to call 911 because of my screaming and clenching anything I could get my hands on!

Keep in mind, my rig arced out about 3 inches in front of my face and due to how tight it was where I was having to weld I couldn't get in there with my hood down or even my safety glasses on! I could feel and smell the burning instantly!
Yikes that's a effin nightmare dude I feel for you, never had it that bad but had it not so good a few times
Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 662
Default just my 2 cents

man , go to er or quick care, there are drops for this that require a script, eyes are too important to take chances with , also start wearing flash glasses when at work, i've been there , if you can cut pain by 50%its a huge relief.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,025
Default Pain meds

Tetracaine or Procaine drops will definitely give relief, but you can't keep using it. It delays the healing of the top layer of the eye and will cause more harm than good. You probably have welder's keratitis (UV keratitis), and there is not much that helps other than time. If I saw you in the ER, I would give you some prescription pain meds so you can sleep. If it lasts more than 2 days, you really should go see someone about it.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay View Post
Tetracaine or Procaine drops will definitely give relief, but you can't keep using it. It delays the healing of the top layer of the eye and will cause more harm than good. You probably have welder's keratitis (UV keratitis), and there is not much that helps other than time. If I saw you in the ER, I would give you some prescription pain meds so you can sleep. If it lasts more than 2 days, you really should go see someone about it.
I would take his advice he seems pretty legit
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,104

I know this sounds crazy but do not use visine or clear eyes. They hurt it worse. Short term yes soon as
U put a drip in it feels great but hurts five minutes later. Cut cucumber slices over the eyes with a wet rag on top. Then go see dr for tetracaine drops. They will not write u a script. But they will numb them while in the office
Old 05-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,025
Default UV keratitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyShaw View Post
I would take his advice he seems pretty legit
Thanks SaltyShaw. Wiki has good info: