SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633
Default Process Operator

question for the operators out there or others who know..
Aside from work location, what are the differences in operators who work offshore vs. those who work in refineries or plants? Is the pay the same? Daily work routines the same?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Flounder

Cash: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
question for the operators out there or others who know..
Aside from work location, what are the differences in operators who work offshore vs. those who work in refineries or plants? Is the pay the same? Daily work routines the same?
This will definitely vary depending who you ask. They are very different jobs; upstream vs. midstream/downstream. Now, if you're asking about some of the land-based production facilities. The jobs are very similar. Having worked in both environments (background is I&E, regulatory and now HSE), the major differences come from them being in different industry segments (upstream vs. anything downstream), very different physical environments (i.e. offshore involves a lot of cranes and maritime vessels) and very,very different regulatory environments.

Pay? I'm not one for putting my company's information out there. Others can guide you on that.

Daily routines? Very different overall, however, there would be some things you'd see in both (i.e. gauging/checking rates/monitoring parameters).

I know this is still somewhat vague. Maybe if you have some more specific questions, there could be some more pointed answers.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720
Default Operations

ExxonMobil is hiring. Need to go to the web page and search employment opertunity. Shedule a test date. Pm if you want more details.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Offshore, work a set schedule and when you off you off, you have to ride a chopper/boat to work, free meals your whole time out there, don't get to sleep with momma at night, you stuck on a platform half the year with people you may not like.

On shore, you will mostly work shiftwork, pay for your meals or pack a lunch, ride your truck to work, work half the year, sleep with momma every night, more freedom, no set schedule when you first start out.

I have a few buddies that work 7-7 and they are home every night/day. They make decent money and get to hunt/fish a lot. One works 7 day, off 7 days, work 7 nights, off 7 and back to 7 days. That's the best schedule you can get IMO