SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 515
Default Duck Hunt Questions

Lived in LA for the last 3 years (my wife of 20 years said she been in Tennessee long enough, she is from BR). Fished PBF for years and had Duck Leases in Brinkley and McDougal Arkansas for 12 years. Hunted 55 days every year. Lost my dog and gave it up for the last 6 years. Ready to pull my trigger again. I totally understand the difference here versus farther North as it relates to the types of ducks I should expect to see and hunt. My questions: Typically when do you start seeing the big ducks (Mallards) in SE LA (Ramah area)? Also having hunted Hackberry in 2001, is that still an area that holds bigger ducks late in the year?
Thank you.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorizn View Post
Lived in LA for the last 3 years (my wife of 20 years said she been in Tennessee long enough, she is from BR). Fished PBF for years and had Duck Leases in Brinkley and McDougal Arkansas for 12 years. Hunted 55 days every year. Lost my dog and gave it up for the last 6 years. Ready to pull my trigger again. I totally understand the difference here versus farther North as it relates to the types of ducks I should expect to see and hunt. My questions: Typically when do you start seeing the big ducks (Mallards) in SE LA (Ramah area)? Also having hunted Hackberry in 2001, is that still an area that holds bigger ducks late in the year?
Thank you.
Dont know about the Ramah area but there are some mallards down already around Klondike. I would think where there is water and acorns in those trees, youre gonna find Mallards. Speck-Chaser hunts that general area he might chime in here, or you can send him a PM
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Sand Trout

Thanks for the feedback Meaux!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379

I've killed many of mallards in the Ramah area over the years, especially when I was at LSU. You won't see a good bit of big ducks in that area till it get's really cold. The last really good year was when it froze over around 1998-99.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Sand Trout

Awesome Josh, hope it gets cold sooner than later this year!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I know a few people that hunt in the vicinity and they really don't start shooting a lot of mallards until around Christmas.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

We are seeing mallards in the central part of the state around the VB marsh already its typically second split before they start showing up. Lots of greys right now though.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Swordfish

We are killing 1-2 mallards/hunt in PI right now. Hopefully they start showing up in bigger numbers. Haven't killed one grey yet. Weird.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh C View Post
I've killed many of mallards in the Ramah area over the years, especially when I was at LSU. You won't see a good bit of big ducks in that area till it get's really cold. The last really good year was when it froze over around 1998-99.
99' was the best yr we will see in our lifetime. I hope it's not. But as far as big ducks it was the best big duck yr for sure...

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 11-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
99' was the best yr we will see in our lifetime. I hope it's not. But as far as big ducks it was the best big duck yr for sure...

Agreed!! Mallards (in large numbers) don't come this far south like they once did. They stay just below the freeze line. I know some of you guys will disagree but that's because you aren't old enough to have seen the number of mallards that we once had every year in south louisiana.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Agreed!! Mallards (in large numbers) don't come this far south like they once did. They stay just below the freeze line. I know some of you guys will disagree but that's because you aren't old enough to have seen the number of mallards that we once had every year in south louisiana.
I definitely agree. My buddy has a place in Columbia, LA I went to a few times last year. I have never shot so many mallards. Then I have been on a few hunts in Arkansas where you have flocks of 40 mallards working at one time. I am convinced majority don't come past north LA anymore.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I definitely agree. My buddy has a place in Columbia, LA I went to a few times last year. I have never shot so many mallards. Then I have been on a few hunts in Arkansas where you have flocks of 40 mallards working at one time. I am convinced majority don't come past north LA anymore.
About 99% of duck hunters in N La would say they don't come past Arkansas anymore, I wish they could take off the blinders of how good they/we have it still to this day. Can''t wait to get up there next week
Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Sand Trout

Duck Butter, let me know how your trip goes. I will be honest, I hunted my farm in Brinkley Arkansas for 7 years starting 1995 and I was convinced by 2000 I had to go further north so I got a farm in McDougal Arkansas (when I walked across the road I was in Missouri) right on the state line just out of Corning and it was on. However I still believe they make it down here and now that I have the bug again, i'm committed to LA. If we have a so called winter this year, I think they will be here!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorizn View Post
Duck Butter, let me know how your trip goes. I will be honest, I hunted my farm in Brinkley Arkansas for 7 years starting 1995 and I was convinced by 2000 I had to go further north so I got a farm in McDougal Arkansas (when I walked across the road I was in Missouri) right on the state line just out of Corning and it was on. However I still believe they make it down here and now that I have the bug again, i'm committed to LA. If we have a so called winter this year, I think they will be here!
I miss North La real bad during hunting season - really bad Even the 'bad' years were pretty good to me.

My trip will go like this - I will likely only get to hunt 3 or so mornings before the wife gives me 'the look' and then we will have to drive all over the country to go and visit her 5000 relatives instead of them coming to see us
Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
About 99% of duck hunters in N La would say they don't come past Arkansas anymore, I wish they could take off the blinders of how good they/we have it still to this day. Can''t wait to get up there next week
Some of my best hunts have been in N La/S Ark. We can only go for 1 day next week, but that's just enough time to squeeze in a hunt Thursday morning in Jones.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Some of my best hunts have been in N La/S Ark. We can only go for 1 day next week, but that's just enough time to squeeze in a hunt Thursday morning in Jones.
bass terd

Have fun up there
Old 11-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Sailfish

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384982225.514905.jpgmallards yesterday

Old 11-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Attachment 58973mallards yesterday

That is a mixed bag man with that catfish What is the story?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Sailfish

I that thing we run jug lines in the main canal on the way out of the marsh.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Sand Trout

Sweet, Nice day!