SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
How did ducks breed before DU? Nice try. It's a business now of shooters instead of hunters. Killing for just sport and not food.
Go to google earth and zoom in on some areas in the prairie pothole region. Look at the changes from the 90s, 2000s, til today. Its mindblowing what is happening. Wetlands are being drained for ag production (can't blame a farmer as I would do the same). You can make $X with a CRP payment for not tilling up virgin prairie, or you can drain it, tile it, and make $10X for planting corn. Its happening right now
Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
If u wanna get a hunt on one of them "DU projects" you better save your money.
TONS of 'DU Projects' on public hunting land throughout the state and country that are 100% open to the public to hunt. I bet you have hunted on some of them
Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Ling

Quote:
While they enhance the breeding grounds up north. The wintering grounds down here continue to fade away.
Not true, you just said that all these rich landowners are getting DU projects on their land in Louisiana. That would be an example of a wintering ground project. Aubrey's example is a wintering ground project.

You all have to realize that duck season is 60 days, 75 if you include teal. Those fields provide habitat to ducks WAY more than 75 days. Probably ducks on Aubrey's place right now getting fattened up for the flight back north. Probably even see ducks up through April sitting on those same places and ducks were likely there in September. So that place just provided habitat from September thru April (8 months) for both ducks coming down and ducks returning back north. Seems like that is the definition of ann excellent example of 'wintering grounds' to me?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
not getting in on a duck thread NOPE BUT, the regular season (not youth) going into February isn't going to happen

20 pages
Couldn't help himself I guess.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
I knew I could pull him out the brush lol
Old 01-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Swordfish

"Hey keep giving to DU. They enhance my hunting every year". Actually I don't give any money to DU so I could care less what they do with their money. But when they steal my duck stamp money and send it out of the country when we have our own instate issues, that's when I have a problem.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

You could spend 10 gazillion dollars instate and have everything perfect and a gazillion acres of wintering grounds, but if the breeding grounds suck it won't help....well not near as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
You could spend 10 gazillion dollars instate and have everything perfect and a gazillion acres of wintering grounds, but if the breeding grounds suck it won't help....well not near as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just tell DU to quit stealing my money!!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
While they enhance the breeding grounds up north. The wintering grounds down here continue to fade away.
Well put

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 572

If you support DU my friend you are a Dumb A$$! That's all.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

We had a pretty bad season. I hunt just west of PI. I have two ponds, one of which dicdn't grow any wigeon grass. That pond is traditionally our best by far. This year it was terrible. I think its because we had so much water all summer long. The main part of my kill is usually greys. I had them thick maybe 4 times this year and we really smashed them. Of course I'd have them one day and they'd be gone the next, which is unusual for my place. Usually my place does really well during the first split, then as the rains come, we pick up too much water thus sending the ducks elsewhere. Our first split was absolutely horrible. That didn't happen this year, we actually lost water throughout the season. So although we didn't have the birds as thick as often, we effectively ended up with more days to shoot ducks (if only DU would come put me a water control structure.) So, I just think that everything went against us this year. Hell, we didn't shoot but a few mottled ducks which is crazy. We usually have to be very careful not to shoot too many. All of this leads me to believe it was a habitat issue that hurt me most. Mottled ducks are local right?...A delayed hatch, migration, or short stopping shouldn't affect them yet I didn't see many. I have had some bad leases in my time, some that didn't produce no matter what. This one is pretty good, so when I have a down year, it definitely leaves me scratching my head.
As far as season dates and lengths go, I'm down for a longer split and be allowed to hunt until the end of Jan. Early openers are usually great for us, of course this year was the exception.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Well put

go to ducks.org and check it out, there are plenty of wintering ground projects done in La, many on public lands maybe some near you. You can hunt em, I do
Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeter View Post
You better start supporting a conservation organization if you want to keep on catching those snapper in your avatar pic
Old 01-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
middle finger to you and top dawg, y'all pulled me out

from pics and reports on here, I would say plenty of ducks made it to Louisiana though, we kill more ducks than any state and almost twice as many as the famed Arkansas, we still got it good
Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
this coming from a guy named tweeter
Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 572

I support conservation for our coastal restoration. But not DU to hell with them. They do absolutely nothing for south loisiana but take money and use it for other states.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393
Headknocker

Quote:
"Hey keep giving to DU. They enhance my hunting every year". Actually I don't give any money to DU so I could care less what they do with their money. But when they steal my duck stamp money and send it out of the country when we have our own instate issues, that's when I have a problem.
So what are you doing to help the problem other than bi+ching and complaining on the internet? Nobody "stole" anything. The state made a Decision that was where they would get their most bang for their buck.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Swordfish

Keep drinking the koolaid, dude. Y'all just keep sending DU y'all's money so they can make me more ducks to kill.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
I support conservation for our coastal restoration. But not DU to hell with them. They do absolutely nothing for south loisiana but take money and use it for other states.
Oh My! Most uninformed dude Ever! Dude Du Does More Coastal Conservation Work than CCA Probably. Terrace projects, Marsh restoration, Weirs just to name a few! Im gonna find that list of projects and numbers when i get home. They spent over a million around White Lake last year alone. Are you kidding me? Go play in another sand box man. You really dont know what the hell you are talking about....AT ALL.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Keep drinking the koolaid, dude. Y'all just keep sending DU y'all's money so they can make me more ducks to kill.
I don't! Not anymore! I support conservation efforts just not that organization.