SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,262
Default Share your injury/misfortune while on the water

It might be interesting to here about accidents/injuries/misfortune that happened while fishing. Maybe that info can cause all of us to stop and think before we do something that can cause harm to us or others. I will go first, on July 4 of this year, my son was removing a nice redfish from a lure. With fish in hand, while trying to remove treble hook, the fish thrashed and hooks were driven into his hand. We were able to pull one hook out, but the other had to be "pushed through". My other son took the lead and performed the "surgery" as I looked on. This was the time of the year when the flesh eating bacteria were in the news. We were able to obtain the needed antibiotics to ward off any infection. Picture attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (32.5 KB, 511 views)
Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Damn after that I got nothin' !
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Same thing happened to me this June. I stuck a mirrodine in my ring finger. It was at an angle where we couldn't pass it though. Ended up having to go the doctor and get it cut out. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381877003.873976.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Marsh just suck it up and jerk that biotch out. Of course im only saying that because it wasnt me.lol
Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

All my self hookings in my adult life have been at home. Shoulda been fishing!

Worst injury has been getting nicked by a baby hardhead, Ouch!!!

Also got stung by a wasp at GI this summer, and learned that the adrenaline dump from a big bull red is great medicine!

Back in Colorado a summer or two ago, I was bragging about all the trout we caught and walked off the dock it the lake! That's a cold mountain lake that claims several lives each year, but once they stopped laughing the guys on the dock pulled me out.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Sailfish

It is surprising how tough your skin is though. Twice I have tried to loop a 9/0 hook through my forearm. Its nearly impossible to get past the barb just using your hand. Granted a flooping fish or a rod would give more leverage.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,250

A little over a year ago I had a 5 lb speck I caught fishing a tourney with LCD. I was in a hurry trying to get fish untangled from net when it went crazy and stuck a treable hook through my finger. After screaming for a minute or do to make the fish stop shaking LCD finally stopped fishing to help me. I has a pool of my own blood In the boat. Headed to the ER to have it cut out. Back fishing by 8:30 am. We had second biggest trout of the tourney witch cost me about 1500 for the dr visit.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Redfish

Cash: 714

Not a recent accident but in May of 1985 I was thrown out of a Carolina skiff with out the lanyard attached to my person.

Boat circled a few times at wide open speed, the speed was a result of my grip on the throttle (tiller handle) as I was launched from seated position. There were 3 of us in the water (lil sister, girlfriend & I) in danger of being ran over by circling runaway skiff.

After a few near misses, I decided to tackle the thing, waited for the skiff to pass one more time and swam for all I was worth and as the skiff re-approached I launched myself onto the starboard bow rail or at least that was my plan.

I lost my grip on the slippery bow gunnel and now falling back into the water here follows the stern with prop blade a swinging. I was very lucky as the prop hit my forearm and the keel fins crossed my fore head and down through my right eye socket.

The chunk section of the motor hit my shoulder squarely lifted up and back down just like jumping a log. The motor shut down the motor to idle speed. Again, lucky I didn't lose consciousness.

I was scooped up by a near by shrimper that saw the entire event. The shrimper laid me across the picking board and rush me and crew back to the Happy Jack Marina near Empire La. An ambulance made a short ride out of it back to New Orleans.

After a couple of reconstruction surgeries, I'm was good as new.

Very lucky to still be here and many may say what a dumb **** , but seemed like the only thing to do at the time.

Please ALL, wear your lanyards!

Jimmy
Old 10-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

You win
Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Redfish

Cash: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
You win
I did that day, but I

hesitated posting here, didn't wanna come across as a "tommy upper" (lol) but thought it may remind others to take a minute and secure those safety lanyards.

Great thread by the way!

Jimmy
Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Sailfish

[QUOTE=jjam;636427]Not a recent accident but in May of 1985 I was thrown out of a Carolina skiff with out the lanyard attached to my person.

Boat circled a few times at wide open speed, the speed was a result of my grip on the throttle (tiller handle) as I was launched from seated position. There were 3 of us in the water (lil sister, girlfriend & I) in danger of being ran over by circling runaway skiff.

After a few near misses, I decided to tackle the thing, waited for the skiff to pass one more time and swam for all I was worth and as the skiff re-approached I launched myself onto the starboard bow rail or at least that was my plan.

I lost my grip on the slippery bow gunnel and now falling back into the water here follows the stern with prop blade a swinging. I was very lucky as the prop hit my forearm and the keel fins crossed my fore head and down through my right eye socket.

The chunk section of the motor hit my shoulder squarely lifted up and back down just like jumping a log. The motor shut down the motor to idle speed. Again, lucky I didn't lose consciousness.

I was scooped up by a near by shrimper that saw the entire event. The shrimper laid me across the picking board and rush me and crew back to the Happy Jack Marina near Empire La. An ambulance made a short ride out of it back to New Orleans.

After a couple of reconstruction surgeries, I'm was good as new.

Very lucky to still be here and many may say what a dumb **** , but seemed like the only thing to do at the time.

Please ALL, wear your lanyards!

Jimmy[/QUOTE
Not a dumb**** at all. You had your little sister and your girlfriend in the water and in danger. Any plan is better than no plan.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Hmm nothing serious really. Been the occasional hook in the hand/finger but the one that takes the cake was actually with a cork with the lead bottom.

I had come home from deployment and got dad's side together in Pierre Part and my uncle decided to take me and my girlfriend fishing for catfish in Lake Verret. The day was going by pretty smooth until my uncle caught a gar. As he got it close to the boat, I grabbed the needle nose intending to grab the hook and flip it off the hook. As I reached and grabbed the hook with the pliers, my uncle picked his rod tip up putting tension on the line. When I went to flip it off, the line which was also wrapped up in the gar's mouth broke right at the split shot. The line still had tension on it and when that sucker popped, I thought I caught a hook just above my eye. Nope, the cork slung up weighted end first with such force, it actually left me dazed for several minutes. Ended the day with a hell of a headache and 25 catfish. Drank the pain away that night at the bar.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

The battle scar. Had a bump there until I checked back into the ship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.5 KB, 354 views)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

15 yrs ago I was fishing the pond behind my old house. Fishing a rebel popper tiger striped(bass killed that thing in that pond). Got it stuck in a low hanging branch and popped it out, lure came screaming back at me kamikaze style and slammed into my shin. Lodged front and back treble hooks perfectly in there. Quick trip to the ER popped em right out.

6-8yrs ago I tried swinging a hefty trout onto the bank in west cove. Threw the hook and the jig head came flying back and shattered my brand new costas with the 580 lenses. After replacing those lenses 3 times in 2years I figured I was a little too adventurous for glass lenses.

Plenty more to come(damn't) but I'm heading to bed.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:32 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
It is surprising how tough your skin is though. Twice I have tried to loop a 9/0 hook through my forearm. Its nearly impossible to get past the barb just using your hand. Granted a flooping fish or a rod would give more leverage.
That's the bad thing with mind I do hard labor for living so my hands are thick. That thing wasn't just being pulled out.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
That's the bad thing with mind I do hard labor for living so my hands are thick. That thing wasn't just being pulled out.

It didnt look pleasant at all. Sure will ruin a fishing trip in a hurry.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

When I was about 8 or 9 we were at a camp in Cocodrie. I was fishing off the dock while everyone else was inside. I caught a hard head and put it on the dock and kept on fishing, I didn't want to catch it again. About an hour after I got a bucket of water, picked up the catfish and was trying to make the catfish come back to life wiggling it back and forth in the water, well that sucker came through wiggled out my hands and the top barb caught me right in the chest. That was one of the most painful experience of my life!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Redfish

Cash: 723

Was Guiding at the lake arhur hunting club an me an two of the other guides was heading to the camp one morning an left the landing an got into the icc the was a bardge tied up to the bank with no lights or flags on his cables or anything so we never saw them we went around the front of the bardge an to the other side so we could get into the run an when we came around the other side the cables were streched out well it was too late an one of the guys face hit the cable an ended up with 45 stiches in his face i had a 15 on my right shoulder could have been really bad if the cable would have hit us in neck. What saved us was we wasnt going too fast.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,322

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
When I was about 8 or 9 we were at a camp in Cocodrie. I was fishing off the dock while everyone else was inside. I caught a hard head and put it on the dock and kept on fishing, I didn't want to catch it again. About an hour after I got a bucket of water, picked up the catfish and was trying to make the catfish come back to life wiggling it back and forth in the water, well that sucker came through wiggled out my hands and the top barb caught me right in the chest. That was one of the most painful experience of my life!
Ouch!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,322

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrab1989 View Post
Was Guiding at the lake arhur hunting club an me an two of the other guides was heading to the camp one morning an left the landing an got into the icc the was a bardge tied up to the bank with no lights or flags on his cables or anything so we never saw them we went around the front of the bardge an to the other side so we could get into the run an when we came around the other side the cables were streched out well it was too late an one of the guys face hit the cable an ended up with 45 stiches in his face i had a 15 on my right shoulder could have been really bad if the cable would have hit us in neck. What saved us was we wasnt going too fast.
Ouch!!!! Ouch!!!!! Ouch!!!!!