SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

1. High-Sticking
The most common error is high-sticking—holding the rod at, or close to, vertical while fighting or landing a fish—which bends the rod in a candy-cane shape, causing the most fragile part of the rod, the tip, to bear the brunt of the stress. Anglers in boats make this mistake most often because a fish can swim quite literally right under the angler’s feet, or even under the boat. When a graphite fly rod is bent, the fibers on the top of the bend are stretched, while those on the inside of the bend are compressed. Since the tensile strength (stretch) of carbon fiber is higher than the compression strength, a fly rod almost always fails on the compression side.

High-sticking causes the tip of the rod—it's weakest part—to bear most of the pressure. As the tip bends more and more (left), the graphite on the inside of the curve compresses until it snaps (center). Then you're left with less than a whole rod (right), which may land the fish, but won't cast anymore. (photo: Philip Monahan)
When you’re landing large or heavy fish, it’s critical that you take care to note the stress you’re putting on the rod. The closer the rod gets to vertical, the closer it is to failing. A net is invaluable. They don’t just land fish, but they save rods, too. Aside from shortening the time the rod is stressed, a net increases your reach, thus decreasing the stress on the rod simply because the rod is not so close to vertical.
It’s also possible to high-stick the rod when you’re not fighting fish. Countless rod tips are popped by anglers who rig their rods by threading the fly line through the bottom guides and then bend the rod to thread the line through those final guides at the top. Thousands of expensive graphite sticks meet their premature and tragic demise this way—snapped in the parking lot or at the boat ramp moments before the day’s fishing is about to commence.

Good article on how not to break a rod.
http://www.americanangler.com/technique/busted
Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Shock Loading - applying high amount of force in an extremely short period of time.

This will break steal and steal cable (and high performance braid) with no problem, it takes less force than the actual tensile strength if applied quickly.

It also fatigues a material with no visible evidence of strength reduction like cracks or yield.

I have fished with a lot of people that will send a lure or bait/weight over the boat... If a fish is on, the rod and line is shock loaded (mono resists this because peak loads are mitigated due to stretch). A higher performance material or fiber will be stronger and more light weight, but the higher modulus that provides he need it's we love is susceptible to premature failures from shock loading.

That's my rant, and it comes from experience with high performance, synthetic tension members...
Old 04-27-2013, 04:43 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

High stick is when u put ur left hand up on the rod not on the handle basically causing a breaking point. May not break when ur doin it but will later. Gotta let the hole rod do its work I've seen lots of rods snap this way
Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Flounder

Cash: 958

Picked one up at Railside today, $139, and they had plenty to choice from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
1. High-Sticking
The most common error is high-sticking—holding the rod at, or close to, vertical while fighting or landing a fish—which bends the rod in a candy-cane shape, causing the most fragile part of the rod, the tip, to bear the brunt of the stress. Anglers in boats make this mistake most often because a fish can swim quite literally right under the angler’s feet, or even under the boat. When a graphite fly rod is bent, the fibers on the top of the bend are stretched, while those on the inside of the bend are compressed. Since the tensile strength (stretch) of carbon fiber is higher than the compression strength, a fly rod almost always fails on the compression side.

High-sticking causes the tip of the rod—it's weakest part—to bear most of the pressure. As the tip bends more and more (left), the graphite on the inside of the curve compresses until it snaps (center). Then you're left with less than a whole rod (right), which may land the fish, but won't cast anymore. (photo: Philip Monahan)
When you’re landing large or heavy fish, it’s critical that you take care to note the stress you’re putting on the rod. The closer the rod gets to vertical, the closer it is to failing. A net is invaluable. They don’t just land fish, but they save rods, too. Aside from shortening the time the rod is stressed, a net increases your reach, thus decreasing the stress on the rod simply because the rod is not so close to vertical.
It’s also possible to high-stick the rod when you’re not fighting fish. Countless rod tips are popped by anglers who rig their rods by threading the fly line through the bottom guides and then bend the rod to thread the line through those final guides at the top. Thousands of expensive graphite sticks meet their premature and tragic demise this way—snapped in the parking lot or at the boat ramp moments before the day’s fishing is about to commence.

Good article on how not to break a rod.
http://www.americanangler.com/technique/busted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Shock Loading - applying high amount of force in an extremely short period of time.

This will break steal and steal cable (and high performance braid) with no problem, it takes less force than the actual tensile strength if applied quickly.

It also fatigues a material with no visible evidence of strength reduction like cracks or yield.

I have fished with a lot of people that will send a lure or bait/weight over the boat... If a fish is on, the rod and line is shock loaded (mono resists this because peak loads are mitigated due to stretch). A higher performance material or fiber will be stronger and more light weight, but the higher modulus that provides he need it's we love is susceptible to premature failures from shock loading.

That's my rant, and it comes from experience with high performance, synthetic tension members...
"W"Ing - when you just stick the hell out of fish and throwing them on the floor!!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Why does their ad say "custom rods"??? They are production made aren't they? Yup
Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Why does their ad say "custom rods"??? They are production made aren't they? Yup
U can order custom
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadams View Post
U can order custom
Not from what I discussed.
Now what Jude does....That's custom built rods. He will build WHAT YOU WANT. They only build what they have.
A Custom built rod is built to the buyers specs not theirs.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM
King Mackeral

He built me some
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadams View Post
He built me some
Yea cause you're a guide, they see you as valuable. I'm a nobody in their eyes. That's the attitude I got. I got the rods I want for cheaper CUSTOM BUILT to my specs.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,490

Quote:
I got the rods I want for cheaper CUSTOM BUILT to my specs.
From who?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
From who?
Mr A.D Welch. Ask huntin fool. I got him one. He uses benchmark blanks which is same blanks Falcon uses.
(225) 933-7955
Tell him Jeff Ramsay sent you. Been using him for years. He's located in Livingston parish. Watson la.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Yea cause you're a guide, they see you as valuable. I'm a nobody in their eyes. That's the attitude I got. I got the rods I want for cheaper CUSTOM BUILT to my specs.
I know plenty of people who aren't guides that have ordered complete custom rods from Duce Rods and got exactly what they want. Like I said earlier, if you have a problem send Anthony a PM or just get over it.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
I know plenty of people who aren't guides that have ordered complete custom rods from Duce Rods and got exactly what they want. Like I said earlier, if you have a problem send Anthony a PM or just get over it.
I got over it the day I talked to them. & they handled my wife the same way.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,348

This thread is making me want to start drinking.... Thank y'all!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,830

Thank you to everyone that participated in this thread.... It is now closed, time to move on to other things......
Closed Thread