SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 457

I have personally tagged 2 sails in one day on a color change (green to cleaner blue green) N of Vr 119. the first was taken on a tinsel duster that i was trying to catch fresh cut bait on to snapper fish with. I looked back in the spread and saw the bill swatting at the duster. Dropped back twice and the fish ate. Long run and lots of jumps on a Shimano TLD 20. Fish probably would not have been hooked had it not been spotted and dropped back to. The second fish was caught on a Callcutta soft plastic ballyhoo, also fed with a drop back after fish rose and swatted bait. I know of 4 other sails taken in this area over the last 20 years. Sails aren't like blues and do frequent shallower water. If you check tournament records, mrs Babette Odum caught sails regularly off the coast between Cameron and Vermilion Bay. Decent water and abundant bait make it happen. We had a sail checkout a slow trolled large hard tail last year near the Ouida Rocks in about 90' . Hard tail was too big for fish to eat, but he shadowed it long enough for us to,cast a ballyhoo, which landed too close and spooked the fish. Lots of opportunities on sails probably go unnoticed if it's not really calm and folks aren't watching baits closely. Most won't crash a trolled bait like a white or a blue. They eat when the bait is sinking after being dropped back more often than when the bait continues to be pulled. I've fished a lot out of Port Eads, Orange Beach and the deep areas of Vr, Sm and EI. I've been a part of catching quite a few blues, whites and sails. Whenever you are in clear water, green or blue, with lots of bait, you could run into a sail. We catch wahoo every year slow trolling for kings, why would anyone doubt there were sails in the same area? Congrats to the guys who caught the sail off Cameron. Hope it was released after the photos.