SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Yep!

Mais, Im smart ya me
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
Ok, results from Moss Bluff Quik Kar: Freon too high: Blue guage reads 60 (tech says it should read around 30) Red guage reads 225 (tech said it should read 200). Says my orifice tube is the most likely problem. $3.00 part. $80 labor. 3 cans freon @ $20 per can. So for less than $200 I should be back in business.

Does this sound about right?

Go back and read my first reply to your first post, the reason your pressure is high is because the condenser is not doing its job. Clean the condenser, and make sure the elecrtric fan motor is working, or the fan clutch, whichever you have.

I tried, let us know how it works out. If they open your line to change the orifice tube, please inform them to pull a full vaccum on your AC system (to remove all the Oxygen) before they charge it again with freon. If they do not, the freon mixes with the Oxygen in the line and becomes corrosive, then you will be changing the compressor and all other related AC parts.

Trust me, I hope it works for you. Just trying to help, this is not technical, just the way they make more money. Been down that road. Ask a few simple questions and help the ol' pocket book.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Blue Marlin

Its not the oxygen, its the humidity....pulling a vacuum actually boils out any water vapor that may be in the lines. Also helps to verify any leaks
Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

tech told me that my fan is run by the belt on the engine and that it is always running when the engine is on. I will ask to have the condenser cleaned, too. I will also ask for a vaccuum on the line prior to re-charging with freon.

Btw, is there really a differnece in quality of freon i buy? He told me to get the best grade possible ( more money?) cause it will cool better than cheaper brands of freon -- true or B.S.?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OFwlKlr View Post
Go back and read my first reply to your first post, the reason your pressure is high is because the condenser is not doing its job. Clean the condenser, and make sure the elecrtric fan motor is working, or the fan clutch, whichever you have.

I tried, let us know how it works out. If they open your line to change the orifice tube, please inform them to pull a full vaccum on your AC system (to remove all the Oxygen) before they charge it again with freon. If they do not, the freon mixes with the Oxygen in the line and becomes corrosive, then you will be changing the compressor and all other related AC parts.

Trust me, I hope it works for you. Just trying to help, this is not technical, just the way they make more money. Been down that road. Ask a few simple questions and help the ol' pocket book.

Thanks for your help and input!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
tech told me that my fan is run by the belt on the engine and that it is always running when the engine is on. I will ask to have the condenser cleaned, too. I will also ask for a vaccuum on the line prior to re-charging with freon.

Btw, is there really a differnece in quality of freon i buy? He told me to get the best grade possible ( more money?) cause it will cool better than cheaper brands of freon -- true or B.S.?
Fan is run by a clutch. That's why when you pull off from a light you can hear it.for a minute then it quiets down. When the clutch goes bad, fan doesn't turn the rpm it should, which means not enough air. Anytime an AC line is opened you loose all freon. A vacuum is pulled every single time that happens. Otherwise, you wont get the freon back in. So you don't have to worry about that, your mechanic is.gonna do it no matter what.

As for.the "grade" of freon???? He is blowing smoke up your a$$. Its all the same.......you want it REALLY cold?? Have him put butane in it!!! Kinda dangerous if you get in a wreck, but man, it blows ice cubes!!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Fan is run by a clutch. That's why when you pull off from a light you can hear it.for a minute then it quiets down. When the clutch goes bad, fan doesn't turn the rpm it should, which means not enough air. Anytime an AC line is opened you loose all freon. A vacuum is pulled every single time that happens. Otherwise, you wont get the freon back in. So you don't have to worry about that, your mechanic is.gonna do it no matter what.

As for.the "grade" of freon???? He is blowing smoke up your a$$. Its all the same.......you want it REALLY cold?? Have him put butane in it!!! Kinda dangerous if you get in a wreck, but man, it blows ice cubes!!!!!
thanks for your help. Gonna steer away from butane. sounds great though! so, do I get the freon + oil or just regular ole R134 refrigerant? What about synthetic R134A or ULTRA Synthetic?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Blue Marlin

Oil, yes