SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltERedneck View Post
Hated to hear that about your blind Chris... but it was time to try something new anyways.

yeah dude that was something to pull up on the last day of the season and find out that someone set the marsh on fire south of you and it got out of control and burned your platform blind down to the ground that you've been hunting for 10 years.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Blue Marlin

But the past 2 years i've been fighting that cane so now i'm gonna poison it when it starts growing back. and move the blind and do away with a platform and put something with a lower profile so i can brush with salt grass.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
Next season I'm building half boat hide /blind, did better this year out the go-devil powered canoe than the blinds...gonna stick with this since I'm on private land....going straight to the ducks from now on...and for boat hide I mean roseaus piled and angled just right...tore the pintails up on the last few hunts like this after killing zero pintails the years before.
Can you post a picture of a half boat hide/blind? I hunted out of one of those once. Can't remember exactly how it was made though. Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391057991.613290.jpg

Sent from an Apple Tree..
Old 01-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER View Post
But the past 2 years i've been fighting that cane so now i'm gonna poison it when it starts growing back. and move the blind and do away with a platform and put something with a lower profile so i can brush with salt grass.
Chris, I wondered how you faired w/ that burn on Sat. Sorry to hear you lost your blind. Exactly what will you use to kill the cane; I'm having the same issues. Want to get ride of most cane around some ponds. Thanks for any info. I do have an electric spray tank (12v) that I can put in our mudboat. What do I need as for chemicals?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardhead View Post
Black pastic cow troughs with platform like the barrel blinds have little nicer to hunt out of
Rubbermaid 100 gallon water troughs make a pretty sweet setup.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Flounder

Cash: 351

Here you go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blind1_zps633845fc.jpg (104.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg ADA98C5F_zps2496c609.jpg (64.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 351

It hunt's 4 men and a dog comfortably. It's 8 feet long, around 4 feet wide. The blind itself is around 5 years old but was rewelded/touched up before this duck season. The metal drums are new from this year as is the drum bracket. It has a bench that can be moved so you can hunt either side of the blind depending on wind. It has spud poles and spud pole brackets that you set with a 1/2 inch bolt- very simple and very fast. I think the spud poles are 4 or 5 feet long so if you're hunting in deeper water you will want to go buy a stick of 1 inch tube and find a chop saw and make some longer. It has a dog door. It has a transom so you can mount a trolling motor/ surface drive to it. It will move surprisingly well in open water. I took it through a stump field to get it to its resting place in our lake and with some pushing and shoving it will navigate/ float over most obstacles and slides over objects well. Doesn't weigh much and I did this move in said stump field alone.

It doesn't need bungee cords/ ratchet straps around the drums and brackets but I did it anyway. I also used U clamps to connect the blind to the brackets, but again, it sits fine on the brackets as-is. The floor is expanded metal, but you will want to put a couple of 1"x12" boards in the floor if you're running a dog- in case you didn't know that stuff plays hell on a dogs toenails.

On one hunt the water level had dropped several feet leaving the blind suspended on the spud poles about 8 inches in the air. Myself, my dog and a buddy hunted in it anyway like that to keep from damaging the drums. It stayed put suspended with no problems.

It's a solid little setup. It's perfect for hunting sloughs and areas where water fluctuates- just pull up the spud poles (or leave them hanging down so if you can't tie a knot the spud poles will keep it from drifting too far) tether it off to a solid object and if the water rises when you come back to hunt just set the spud poles and you're ready. It drafts a couple of inches empty so it can and has been towed through shallow water pretty easily. The more weight that is in it, the more solid it is, it can be hunted out of without spuds with no problem. But with the spud poles it's a rock solid shooting platform. It's the best way we could figure out to be mobile in the lake we hunt without needing 4 layout boats. A lot of r&d and materials in this bad boy to get it right, but it's right.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
Chris, I wondered how you faired w/ that burn on Sat. Sorry to hear you lost your blind. Exactly what will you use to kill the cane; I'm having the same issues. Want to get ride of most cane around some ponds. Thanks for any info. I do have an electric spray tank (12v) that I can put in our mudboat. What do I need as for chemicals?

I got with Scooter Trosclair from the refuge anhd i have it wrote down at the house what they use to contain and i will call you tomorrow with the name and directions on how to do it.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
I got with Scooter Trosclair from the refuge anhd i have it wrote down at the house what they use to contain and i will call you tomorrow with the name and directions on how to do it.
My buddy that owns that land right by you... His dad works for Dow chemicals. Maybe he could be of some assistance

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 01-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Scooter's the man. He knows his vegetation and chemicals. He actually sprayed our marsh last year with a helicopter. It did everything he said it would.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
My buddy that owns that land right by you... His dad works for Dow chemicals. Maybe he could be of some assistance

ill let you know when im ready for it that would be awesome
Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Scooter's the man. He knows his vegetation and chemicals. He actually sprayed our marsh last year with a helicopter. It did everything he said it would.
Yep he is the man he said it will kill it to the roots and you just got to keep it contained.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Blue Marlin

my plan is to spray all the cane around my pond and kill it before it takes over. It got so bad this year that if i wouldn't do anything i won't be able to get into my pond it will close the cut right up.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
my plan is to spray all the cane around my pond and kill it before it takes over. It got so bad this year that if i wouldn't do anything i won't be able to get into my pond it will close the cut right up.
Keyawwww! That bad? You should build a bridge! Boom! Done

Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Keyawwww! That bad? You should build a bridge! Boom! Done

yeah when you come help me build a bridge over the canal to my pond i'll be there
Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 AM
Sailfish

Ready when u are.