SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Flounder

Cash: 700
Default Cast netting for bait

Want to start netting my own bait , any suggestions on what brand/size cast net to buy, never thrown a net before, any tips? Thanks, sam vitter/ big lake area
Old 07-31-2013, 05:08 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,830

I throw a 6ft net for bait. I can't explain how to throw one but I could show you.

You can probably find some YouTube videos on that.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

If I was you I would start with a smaller net. a 4 or 5 foot radius net. You can open them a little easier and throw them a little easier from a moving boat. They are also lighter. Going any smaller than a 4 is not good in my opinion because they don't sink fast enough. I would get the monofilament castnet with real lead weights, not the fat ceramic coated weights. I think those ceramic coated weights don't sink as fast.....Good luck.

Also, be careful throwing around weirs, wood pylons, etc........There are often many obstructions and you will hang a net and slice it up real quick.

When cast netting for shrimp let the cast net sink all the way to the bottom before pulling it back. Shrimp stay on the bottom.

When sight cast netting for Shad/mullet if you cover the school as soon as the net hits the water it is okay to pull it in. If the water is deep those mullet will retreat for the bottom and get out from underneath the net.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,127

Always start with a smaller net. I find 4footer is great for beginners. I throw a 6 but am capable with 8. Best places to throw are around currents and points. Drains from the marsh are good also. Check YouTube for videos on how to throw. Everyone has their own style
Whatever you do, never put the leads in your mouth. Too much bad stuff out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

I disagree with the smaller net. If it is thrown to hard it will open and close back. Get a 6" net and practice of the bed of your truck in grass. Catch way more bait or anything for that mater with a partially open 6' than a fully open 4'. They just don't sink fast enough. As far as brand anyone will work for your first one just see if you can find a 5/8 mesh. It will sink faster and alot of poggies will not get stuck in it. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Redfish

Cash: 969

As a beginner, it took me a few trips to get used to a four foot net. That's a good starting size. Look on YouTube for simple cast netting videos, and find the best method for you. Practice in the surf if you can. That's a simple, forgiving way to start. It takes awhile to get comfortable, but is very rewarding (and more importantly cheap) to become a successful cast netter.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

I suggest getting a 5' net to begin with. Watch the video's, there are plently. Get a 3/8" monifiliment (sp), a Bett's is a good brand. Get the lead weights, not the steel ones. Practicing in a pool is good too. Hit the weirs if legal, or look for schools of fish. Keep asking around ...such as where can you catch shrimp etc. I have hit the jetties in Cameron for pogies, which are pretty good for flounder, but they're pretty tough to catch at the jetties, but there's not much option around there.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,050

Gulfway Sporting Goods in Kaplan sells a few kinds of Betts Cast Nets - Betts is very good brand. I totally agree most of comments above.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084

Get a 6ft. Might take longer to master but you'll only have to buy one. I threw a 6ft and now an eight. The 8ft opens easier for me. I have a walmart brand net also
Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 611

The bigger size (5or6) opens easier for me.