SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182
Default Dryer Repair help

Our 2 year old Whirpool dryer stopped working tonight. It would not restart after taking some clothes out.

There is 120 V power [240 V across these two wires] on the 2 leads coming into the machine. The light inside comes on when the door is opened. Dryer belt is good, main motor turns freely [took the belt off] by hand and does not smell burned. We tried setting the main control knob to all the setting and tried to see if it would start....nothing.

All wires in the back.....look ok? I am thinking it must one of the switches that controls the operation......but which one??? I was thinking it could be the ON/OFF switch but the switch does open and close across 2 of the leads but not the other lead.

Wife said to get it fixed......can not wait a week to buy a part, and still not get it running.

Can anyone recommend a place to call for a repairman in the Lake Charles / Moss Bluff area? There are ~ 6 places listed in the phone book.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Redfish

Cash: 699

PM sent.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I'd jump switched till I found it......also, check motor first, but I'd put direct power to he motor to see if it turns.......CHRCK LABEL FIRST!!! DONT PUT TOO MUCH POWER..........
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Morris Maytag on Lake St has done a good job for me in the past.
If you can trouble shoot the problem, appliance parts are located
on common st. May even call them and ask what part makes it go
roundnround.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Start the timer w/o turning on the dryer You should hear a very faint clicking . If timer is working also chck door safety switch .
Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

it may be the switch that tells you the door is shut mine went out about a month ago
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Sailfish

Thanks for the suggestions.

eman.......I checked that, I noticed that the knob on the timer switch was not moving any after having it "on" for a while. I did not check to see if I could hear any "clicking".

The door switch seams to work fine. It turns the light off and on.

The main motor looks to be ok. I did try to jump the start switch. The first wire I checked only made little noise and when I tried the next wire......it sparked and burnt the tip of the wire i was using. I stopped.....before I did any more damage.

I called the guy yellalilyslicker recommended. He is coming ~ 11 AM today.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Im sure you check to see if you had power to the receptical where you plug it in rite?

Do you have a Fluke meter (or any other meter).
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

If he don't come today, call me and I will hook you up.
It is probably one of the safety's or it may be in the main control unit.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Sailfish

Well the came and did his checks.

As I thought.....It looks like the ON/OFF switch maybe the problem?????

The machine will not start......but the switch "sometime" test to be ok. But sometimes it showes to not be making contact. He did not have a switch with him, so he took the machine back to his shop/house which is about 5 miles away.

I should know something in an hour or two. He said that if he can not get it fixed today......he will bring us a machine to use until ours is fixed.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Well that's pretty cool, at least your wife can still do the laundry
Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

can you post this guys info gerald for future references sounds like a good individual to do business with
Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Sailfish

I thought I would ask him first when he comes back. He gave me some business cards. It has been a long time to put in a new switch and see if that fixes it.

He was going to eat lunch and then work on it???......I hope. It has been a little over 2 hours since he left here.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Sailfish

Got the dryer all fixed and the Wife is happy.

Problems ????

When the repair man was loading up the machine to take to his shop, he saw that the gasket that fits around the back of the drum had come off. He commented that he did not think he had any glue to fix that.....but don't worry because he had other drums at his shop.

When the dryer was brought back, he hooked it up and I but some clothes in it to dry. He said that the problem was in the main timer and one of the "contacts" inside was not working.The man said that switch cost $ 55 and $ 35 for one hour labor, but $ 80 would be enough to pay. That was great with me.

When my Wife walked in a little later after they had left she went near the dryer and said.....do you hear that. I don't hear "high pitch" sounds very well, but she does. The dryer did sound slightly louder to me....but what do I know----it was working, that is all I cared about.

Later when she took the clothes out......she called.....to come see. The man had installed a different drum and it was "much" dirtier and had a "terriable" smell. IMO, it was kindof dirty but only a faint smell.

She was not happy!!!!!!

I called the repareman......he said he would have get some glue in the morning and then he would come replace the drum.

He came just after lunch today and installed the original drum. This drum is ~3 years old, and is a little dirty.....but not as much as the other drum. And ours does not have a smell. This drum does run a little quieter.

Now the wife is Happy!!!!!!!

Also, yesterday while the repairman was here......I had him take the washer maching agitator apart because the top part was not moving. He said the "clutch dogs" were bad. We found that these plastic parts were broken and he replace them with some used ones that he had in his truck. They were worn but did try to "grip" when turning the agitator by hand.

After doing this additional work......was when he asked for $ 80 dollars payment.

This morning when I called him to find out when he would be coming.....he told me he would also be bringing some new clutch dogs.

After he finished today.......I asked him what I owed him and he said $ 20.

So for $ 100, he fixed both the Washer and Dryer.

I would give him a "GOOD" rating. My Wife was not happy about him putting in and "OLD, SMELLY" durm in the dryer. She and I talked about "HIM" and we agreeed that if we ever needed repairs again....we would give him a call.

C & N Appliance Repair & sales
Charles McInnis
3433 Clint Drive
Moss Bluff, LA

337 855-2843
337 515-3479 cell
Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

glad it all worked out......as long as the women are happy we get to be happy
Old 02-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Corky. ........that's all I have to say about that
Old 02-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

You did the right thing - your wife is happy.
I was able to repair my dryer with some help from this site. It took me a couple of days, we used my mother in laws dryer. She lives two houses away.

http://www.applianceaid.com/
Old 02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
You did the right thing - your wife is happy.
I was able to repair my dryer with some help from this site. It took me a couple of days, we used my mother in laws dryer. She lives two houses away.

http://www.applianceaid.com/
I have tried using Web sites like the one you posted...

But I have found most of them only give very general of basic help. Never in detail......when you really need help.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Speaking of dryers........word to the wise......If your dryer is at least a couple years old, check around the motor & anywhere underneath for lint build up. A few months back I opened the door & touched the drum & it knocked the fire out of me! Lint had built up & was conducting electricity from the contacts on the motor to the drum. That'll wake you up!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Speaking of dryers........word to the wise......If your dryer is at least a couple years old, check around the motor & anywhere underneath for lint build up. A few months back I opened the door & touched the drum & it knocked the fire out of me! Lint had built up & was conducting electricity from the contacts on the motor to the drum. That'll wake you up!
welcome to my life, gotta love the wonderful world of electricity. ought to try you some 277volt that'll put a little lead in your pencil.