SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
And if those oyster fisherman go to the Legislature with it? Do you not think the WLF will get overruled?

Why would they over rule the WLF the oyster task force is paid to control and over see harvest...
If WL&f says they have to close due to no legal size oyster...that's the bottom line

You can fish something that's not there...
They control it the same as shrimping...they open and close ,,,that's how it works
There are no oysters left to harvest right now ,so it will not be long
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
There are plenty of people that recognize the danger that is present with the over harvesting of oysters, some of which are people have the power to make sure the lake is protected.

I assume a small publication or two will pick up on the current limit debate that is going on here due to the outreach of this website but I suspect it will not make an impact.

I personally and speaking for the site will not get involved in the limit issue one way or another on either side as I believe there are bigger issues and that bigger issue is protecting the food resources in the lake (oysters). I recognize that you have to pick your battles and in politics you should only fight the battles that really matter the most. I would however stand firm behind a push to continue to limit oyster harvesting in the lake and I would be willing to us the contacts and resources that I have obtained. There are a large number of people on the sidelines that would help us take up the oyster conservation fight. You were one of the loudest most vocal opponents on the over harvesting of oysters until one of you close “family friends” decided to introduce a bill to the contrary (I can pull the post for everyone to see it if you would like). Since then you have completely changed your position. You also served on the board of the CCA after the limits were changed and stood firm behind their mission and values so for you to blame them now after having been a part of management and the decision making process to me is shady politics.

You had an excellent opportunity to bring about change when you actually had a vote and voice, where was this 14 page thread then (I recognize you were on LAS then)? What if one of your neighbors or close family friends takes another stand against raising the limit, will you leave all of your apparent supporters on the site standing alone holding the bag like you did on the oyster issue? In a thread that speaks to conservation and what is best for the lake even though they may be joking there are people on this very thread talking about gill nets which almost destroyed the redfish and trout population and would have had it not been for the work of the CCA. This thread and cause needs leadership, right now it is heading in multiple directions and any mention of gill nets and what will happen “after” the limits are raised would possibly cause you all to not be considered conservationist but instead greedy fishermen, if that is the case both causes are finished.

This is my last post on this thread but just a few food for thoughts as this thread continues and I am not interested in the current direction and or debating the limit topic. If you guys want to get serious about the over harvesting of oysters let me know.

If there is a group that pushes for the 25 trout limit and science shows that such limit is good for the lake then I wish you guys the best. However having to pick one cause to support the choice for me is very easy, the food resources of the lake are a much higher priority.

"You were one of the loudest most vocal opponents on the over harvesting of oysters until one of you close “family friends” decided to introduce a bill to the contrary (I can pull the post for everyone to see it if you would like). Since then you have completely changed your position. You also served on the board of the CCA after the limits were changed and stood firm behind their mission and values so for you to blame them now after having been a part of management and the decision making process to me is shady politics. "

Can we hear more about this, please?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Correct me if I'm wrong and I know that you will. But in the not only in this thread or the first one and on numerous occasions you and maybe some others have pointed out that MOST people fishing the lake can't catch a limit of specs. With that being said wouldn't it be hard for the FEW THAT CAN catch their limit to put a dent in the trout population. Wouldn't you have to increase the limit to lets say 50 to make up for us slackers. This is just a question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
"You were one of the loudest most vocal opponents on the over harvesting of oysters until one of you close “family friends” decided to introduce a bill to the contrary (I can pull the post for everyone to see it if you would like). Since then you have completely changed your position. You also served on the board of the CCA after the limits were changed and stood firm behind their mission and values so for you to blame them now after having been a part of management and the decision making process to me is shady politics. "

Can we hear more about this, please?
Can't help yourself, can you???

LLMMMMAAAAOOOOOOO
Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Can't help yourself, can you???

LLMMMMAAAAOOOOOOO
It gets my attention when someone throws gas on a dying fire.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong and I know that you will. But in the not only in this thread or the first one and on numerous occasions you and maybe some others have pointed out that MOST people fishing the lake can't catch a limit of specs. With that being said wouldn't it be hard for the FEW THAT CAN catch their limit to put a dent in the trout population. Wouldn't you have to increase the limit to lets say 50 to make up for us slackers. This is just a question.

I fish out of an old beat up aluminum boat and only catch a few each trip with my cheap rods so I would be fine with them lowering the limit to maybe 5, least I could say I caught a limit that way
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post

Hit the nail on the head, The argument is contradicting itself. One one hand you are saying that this lake can't be outfished with road and reel, and most "office fisherman" can only catch 10 trout a day.

On the other hand, the ten trout reduction is severely harming the big trout population because of overpopulation.

I dont know the answer, but i would suggest if you want to be taken seriously on this trout limit quest be sure to address that contridiction.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Sailfish

Lmfao

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsufish View Post
Hit the nail on the head, The argument is contradicting itself. One one hand you are saying that this lake can't be outfished with road and reel, and most "office fisherman" can only catch 10 trout a day.

On the other hand, the ten trout reduction is severely harming the big trout population because of overpopulation.

I dont know the answer, but i would suggest if you want to be taken seriously on this trout limit quest be sure to address that contridiction.
So far every contradiction has been a contradiction to address a contradiction
Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
So far every contradiction has been a contradiction to address a contradiction
Yep, that cleared it up for everyone.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Yep, that cleared it up for everyone.
Figure only peoples time I can waste is the "office fishermen" since all the real fishermen or out fishing and can't reply right now
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Quote:

I am trying to figure this out as well. According to one of the research articles posted:

"Because the spawning season lasts so long, and the fish produce so many (larvae), it compensates for any factors that might interrupt reproduction," Shepard said. That dynamic reproduction cycle results in a survival rate that so out-paced the high predation factor, it would be almost impossible for hook-and-line anglers to make a telling difference in their overall numbers, Shepard said."

Seems like a limit change would have very little impact, if any, especially with office fisherman only catching 5 fish
Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:

Surprised it took this long to bring up this very valid point.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatiger View Post
I am trying to figure this out as well. According to one of the research articles posted:

"Because the spawning season lasts so long, and the fish produce so many (larvae), it compensates for any factors that might interrupt reproduction," Shepard said. That dynamic reproduction cycle results in a survival rate that so out-paced the high predation factor, it would be almost impossible for hook-and-line anglers to make a telling difference in their overall numbers, Shepard said."

Seems like a limit change would have very little impact, if any, especially with office fisherman only catching 5 fish
I agree 100%. W is upset that some powerful people changed the limit without as much research as he would of liked. I understand his gripe there, but that does not mean that is the cause for not catching as many big trout.

I think that what you highlighted above proves that oyster issue chiken brought up is way more important than the 15 vs 25 limit. However, Brother W doesn't want to preach that verse from the pulpit i guess.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

I brought it up awhile back but MathGeek shot it down as a straw man. Of course it was one in the context of his particular argument, but I didn't have the energy or the time to explain that I was lumping all of the arguments together.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Great White

Quote:
I agree 100%. W is upset that some powerful people changed the limit without as much research as he would of liked. I understand his gripe there, but that does not mean that is the cause for not catching as many big trout.

I think that what you highlighted above proves that oyster issue chiken brought up is way more important than the 15 vs 25 limit. However, Brother W doesn't want to preach that verse from the pulpit i guess.
Actually, I think we'd all like to hear how he shifted direction in mid-stream of the oyster issue. Can't say I'm at all surprised.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Here are Facts...CCA and Lawmakers and a small group of office fisherman came up with this law..
There was Zero facts and biologist and WL&F biologist were ignored and pushed aside

In 6 years it is fact that Big Trout numbers or down.
.every guide who fishes will tell u this also

90% of you on this thread spend 3/4 less time on the water than I do.. So don't tell me my theory is wrong when you don't spend the time or know 1st hand the problem
99% of you talk about crap you don't know..you yap yap yap behind a desk and fish on weekend and think you know something

You don't know

...you don't see it enough to know
...your not around enough to know
I been on this lake from 5years old and I spend more time on the water in one year than 80 % of you do in 10years

So please save the B.S. For someone who you can blow smoke ups azz
Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Actually, I think we'd all like to hear how he shifted direction in mid-stream of the oyster issue. Can't say I'm at all surprised.
I'd like to hear this one as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Here are Facts...CCA and Lawmakers and a small group of office fisherman came up with this law..
There was Zero facts and biologist and WL&F biologist were ignored and pushed aside

In 6 years it is fact that Big Trout numbers or down.
.every guide who fishes will tell u this also

90% of you on this thread spend 3/4 less time on the water than I do.. So don't tell me my theory is wrong when you don't spend the time or know 1st hand the problem
99% of you talk about crap you don't know..you yap yap yap behind a desk and fish on weekend and think you know something

You don't know

...you don't see it enough to know
...your not around enough to know
I been on this lake from 5years old and I spend more time on the water in one year than 80 % of you do in 10years

So please save the B.S. For someone who you can blow smoke ups azz
sounds to me like you're getting mad at the people on this site who have agreed with you. Since you're the "1%" why don't you spread the wealth around and let some people know where to fish with your infinite 30+ years of knowledge on the lake. That would reduce trout numbers by "office fisherman" catching limits each time they go out. But, you get mad if ANYONE comes within 1000yards of you while you are on the lake.

Rather than changing the limit back to 25 (which you state most people can't catch a 15 fish limit) and that 25 fish will reduce the population to numbers that support big fish, why not lead the pilgrims to the land of opportunity? Higher number of boat with higher number of limits equals more fish taken. Simple math, but then again that takes kindness towards fishermen that don't spend as much time on the lake in 10 years as you do in 1 year. If you're trying to get the average joe or office fisherman in this case on you're side, you shouldn't be attacking them, or giving them ***** because they aren't privlaged to work offshore. At least they're working.

Gaining support by how you treat people sounds more difficult than getting the limits changed.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,194

I just undeleted the two post that were deleted by the mods (w's and mcjared's), I want people to see how W really feels. Take a look everyone, this is your leader in action. Ready to follow him to battle?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

I wish my life was simple enough to have a "fish weight" as my biggest concern.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Great White

W, we all want to hear about the oyster situation that Chicken mentioned. "Cents" you ain't denied it....are we to assume it's true? C'mon, "Mr. I've fished Big Lake "cents" I was 4' tall."

Inquirin' minds want to know.