SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I don't know crap about AC units.....but I do know to get the best you can afford and don't skimp on original purchase. Rheem or Lennox are top notch and I purchased my hom ein 2004 which was built in 2001. Had a contractor model that lasted all of 8 years!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun w son View Post
lowes in houma keeps 5' in store

Check with LCR Supply in Houma and possibly Coburns
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun w son View Post
lowes in houma keeps 5' in store
I can't find that online. I have off work tomorrow so I will call and if they have it I will be going get it. Buying appliances tomorrow too!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
I don't know crap about AC units.....but I do know to get the best you can afford and don't skimp on original purchase. Rheem or Lennox are top notch and I purchased my hom ein 2004 which was built in 2001. Had a contractor model that lasted all of 8 years!
I went with the 5 ton 14.5 seer Lennox unit.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Check with LCR Supply in Houma and possibly Coburns
Neither LCR in Baton Rouge or coburn in denham stocks them.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
just do a job built shower with tiled walls ...or wait for the 5' and make your plumber come back ...get a walll tie insopection and put the bricks and roof on in the meantime
Man I am so scared of custom showers! Everybody I know that has custom showers in houses that they purchased has had problems with mold. Some of our best friends had to rip their whole bathroom out because of black mold one year after they purchased it. I did get a quote on a custom though. To be honest with you I would rather spend more money on something I plan on spending more then 10 minutes a day in. Just my opinion.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Nothing to be scared of if you do it right ! Let me know if u decide to go job built route n I can set you up with someone good
Old 05-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
Nothing to be scared of if you do it right ! Let me know if u decide to go job built route n I can set you up with someone good

Pox, do you use the epoxy grout with the mold and mildew resistance, and self sealing. I used the epoxy grout on mine, it cost a lot more than the regular grout and my guy charged me more to use it, but its been 3 years and still no mildew with minimal cleaning with a little vinegar and water.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
King Mackeral

Got the AC, electrical, and plumbing roughed in and the roof on. Got insulation and sheetrock this week. Floors and brick next week. Front door is being built in Alabama and was supposed to be in last week.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369015419.783468.jpg
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I wanna see a picture of the "car porch"!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
I wanna see a picture of the "car porch"!
LOL! I just talked to her!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 PM
King Mackeral

We have to pick out our stain for our cabinets. Cabinet guy sent us to Sherman Williams and they were really not much help. They had samples of all colors on all woods except cypress. All they told us was if we picked one of those colors there is a chance the finished product could turn out different. Any suggestions on other brands?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
We have to pick out our stain for our cabinets. Cabinet guy sent us to Sherman Williams and they were really not much help. They had samples of all colors on all woods except cypress. All they told us was if we picked one of those colors there is a chance the finished product could turn out different. Any suggestions on other brands?
You would have the same problem with other brands.

I suggest you go to the Cabinet maker [or find a lumber yard that has your type cypress] and get a small piece [or several pieces] of the wood used for your cabinets. Take this wood to the paint dealer and tell them you would like to test some of the stains to see which one you like. Dip a cloth into the stain to get a small part "wet". Rub the cloth on the wood to smooth out the stain on a small area. Repeat with different stains...leaving a small space between the "test" spots.

Mark the wood with numbers like 1, 2, 3, 4. and write down [on some paper] which stain you used for #1, # 2 etc. After the stain dries, it will look a little different.

OR......

Buy 2 small cans of the stains that you are considering to use. Take the stains to the cabinet maker and do the "testing" at his shop.

If the cabinet maker is planning to put some type of "finish" after the stain is applied.......you need to also put the "finish" on your samples because the "finish" will make it look different than just the stain. You may want to try different "finishes" on your sample stains to see which you like best.

Also......the final outcome [how it looks when finished] depends on how much stain is applied to the wood. Usually the heavier you apply the stain.....the darker the wood will look.

If you put a light amount of stain on the wood.....and like it that way, the cabinet maker might put more on the wood and it could be much darker. Or vise versa. It might be a good idea to talk with the cabinet maker about this and give him your test sample of wood and tell him to "try" and make it look like this.

Last edited by Gerald; 06-05-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Minn-Wax products are hard to beat. Like Gerald said...you gotta do samples of your own with the actual wood. Not all cypress is the same. Even on softer woods.....the tighter the grain, the lighter the stain because it gets less penetration. DO NOT use the store samples as guidance. You are sure to be disappointed.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Minn-Wax products are hard to beat. Like Gerald said...you gotta do samples of your own with the actual wood. Not all cypress is the same. Even on softer woods.....the tighter the grain, the lighter the stain because it gets less penetration. DO NOT use the store samples as guidance. You are sure to be disappointed.
I have used this brand to finish several different kinds of wood and really like it. There are lots of different "colors" to choose from.

When I had limited amount of stains left in a can, and what I had just did not come out looking right on my test wood.....I often mixed my stains to make it look a little different.

I like using just Tongue oil as a finish on something that will not be used all the time. Or something like Deft (sp) is a easy finish to apply.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I would get cabinet shop to give you a pc of the same wood and have your painter do the samples the same way he is gonna stain your cabinets . Unless its old cypress , new cypress is very soft and absorbent so they generally turn out much darker than say oak . I'd use a conditioner as well
Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 758

Quote:
I would get cabinet shop to give you a pc of the same wood and have your painter do the samples the same way he is gonna stain your cabinets . Unless its old cypress , new cypress is very soft and absorbent so they generally turn out much darker than say oak . I'd use a conditioner as well
^^This is the way it should be done. Make sure your cabinet guy sands the sample piece of wood down to his final sand grit he is gonna use on your cabinets because it will affect the final color also. Definitely let your finisher make the samples because a lot of different techniques are used by different finishers.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:

Good point.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
Yeah we do like the look of knots. That's why we are going with stained and not painted. Actually my wife likes the look that you see in some houses like painted island and stained cabinets and 2 differant granite colors.
We rececently remodeled our kitchen and the 2 different colored granites are probably my favorite part. My wife really wanted to do the painted island also but I was afraid with it already having a different granite it would be to much contrast.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,550

uploadfromtaptalk1370533336020.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2