SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650
Headknocker Alright gear heads.... ish

Im fixing my old mini bike and i have a 3hp sears edger motor well i haven't started it about a year well it starts right up when i pour a lil gas into carb. well it dosent matter where the throttle is or the choke, it starts right up and it starts normal then it sounds like its revving up then when it get high up there then it kills like i said it don't matter if the throttle is barley giving it gas or wide open. Well does any one have a idea what it could be? Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Bad gas causing your jets to be stuck. The reason it's revving so high is that you have no control of the fuel that is sitting in the carburetaor.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Red Snapper

when i first opened up the gas tank it was empty, so i but some in and it dosent seem like its getting any of the gas from the tank, just buring the gas i put in the carb..... So should i spray some carb cleaner in it or take it all apart?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Ling

Sounds like you are going to have to take the carb apart and clean the jet or jets. That gas will gum up around them when it sits for long periods of time.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Red Snapper

alright thanks, ill do that first thing tommorow morning, just with that 3 hp get it going 25mph
Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

When gasoline is allowed to evaporate, it leaves a very thin film....kind of like onion skin. There maybe a "filter" screen where the gas line connects to the carburetor. If so, the screen may be blocked off.

You might try getting a spray can of "Carburetor" cleaner [~ $ 3] and spray it into the carburetor and let it soak for 5 minutes and repeat again. Maybe try pulling the starter rope and spray more cleaner in the carburetor.

Then put some gasoline in the carburetor and see if it will keep running.

If this does not work......you should take the carburetor off and clean it. Make sure you can squirt "carburetor cleaner" through each of the small holes in the carburetor.

If you find any of the "onion skin" film in any of the fuel lines be sure you clean them good or better.....install new fuel lines.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
When gasoline is allowed to evaporate, it leaves a very thin film....kind of like onion skin. There maybe a "filter" screen where the gas line connects to the carburetor. If so, the screen may be blocked off.

You might try getting a spray can of "Carburetor" cleaner [~ $ 3] and spray it into the carburetor and let it soak for 5 minutes and repeat again. Maybe try pulling the starter rope and spray more cleaner in the carburetor.

Then put some gasoline in the carburetor and see if it will keep running.

If this does not work......you should take the carburetor off and clean it. Make sure you can squirt "carburetor cleaner" through each of the small holes in the carburetor.

If you find any of the "onion skin" film in any of the fuel lines be sure you clean them good or better.....install new fuel lines.

Thanks well i just took apart the carb. and yes it does have a fliter where the gas line goes into the tank. Well that jet is it in the bowl? Because i took the bowl off and there a lil neddle in the middle is this the jet?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Ling

Yep.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Red Snapper

soo to clean that do what?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Ling

You should be able to pull the jet out and clean out the port that the tip of it goes through with a small wire or something. Carb cleaner would help too. Wipe the jet off itself very good. I had to do this with my 300 this summer and it has worked fine since.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Red Snapper

alright thanks going back into the "shop"
Old 12-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster View Post
Thanks well i just took apart the carb. and yes it does have a fliter where the gas line goes into the tank. Well that jet is it in the bowl? Because i took the bowl off and there a lil neddle in the middle is this the jet?
If you are asking if the jet is in the bottom of the bowl.....NO. This needle is connected to a float. As the engine burns fuel, the gas level in the bowl starts to go down. When the level get to a certain point, the needle starts to open and allows a little more gas from the gas tank to enter.

The "JET" is part of the carburator. Most carburators have 2 "jets".....a high speed and low speed. Low speed jet is usually set with a screw adjustment. The high speed jet feeds fuel to the engine as you increase the engine speed.

Squirt the carburator cleaner in every hole [the spray can should come with piece of tubing that can be stuck in the spray tip on the can] and look to see where it comes out. If it does not come out somewhere......it is plugged up. Get a very small wire and see if this will get it unplugged.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Red Snapper

wow thanks alot yea i was wondering what those where i rember i had to fool with them to get it to run right last year. so should i completely take those screws out and spray in side of that? This one has two screws for both then on the bowl theirs like two circle and yea thats the pin i was talking about this is some good info..!
Old 12-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Sailfish

I can't hurt to take them out and clean out the hole.

BUT.....First, carefully screw them in all the way [but DO NOT tighten them down] and count [write it down....I can't always remember thing later] the truns so you will know where to "set" the jet when you put the needle back in. If you tighten down too much, the needle can get stuck and break off.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Red Snapper

i think its you tighten then then come out a 1/4 turn? Im going to look it up now.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster View Post
i think its you tighten then then come out a 1/4 turn? Im going to look it up now.
1/4 TURN ???? That would supprise me.

I would guess something more like 1 1/2 turns.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Red Snapper

yea i was wrong it was 2- 2 1/2 turns