SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Flounder

Cash: 455
Default surface drives

Alright guys I am looking into purchasing a complete package surface drive boat in the near future. Im know pretty much all the features I want in the boat, however I am unsure of Gator Tail hull and motor or Pro Drive haul and motor. the boat sizes and motors I am looking at are 18x54 with a 37hp Efi. If any one could tell me the pros and cons between the two companies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,831

That's a question you will get a hundred answers too.

You may be able to do a search on here and find some discussion or you can go to the Mud Motor Talk group and find more discussions then you will ever read.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:03 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

What I would do if I was you. I know Pro-Drive will take you on a test drive if you call and schedule. I'm sure Gator Tail will do that too. That way you can see for yourself with both motors. Because everybody will give you different opinions that way you can make your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 11:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Pretty sure gatortail boats aren't made of 1/8" aluminum. Not sure about pro drive. I'd get a war eagle boat with either of those two motors
Old 07-28-2016, 05:25 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Pretty sure gatortail boats aren't made of 1/8" aluminum. Not sure about pro drive. I'd get a war eagle boat with either of those two motors

Both are made out of 1/8 aluminum. Idk about the war eagle boats for these motors. I know my PRODRIVE boat is much stronger than a war eagle. IMO you are better off getting a boat that is designed for the motor to get the full potential of the motor.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 628

I agree with Quackhead. I have a GatorTail on a GatorTail hull. Wouldn't want it any other way. Those guys spend a lot of time building a hull that allows the motor to perform to its highest ability. Transom angles and other things play factors in the performance of these boats.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunduckslayer33 View Post
I agree with Quackhead. I have a GatorTail on a GatorTail hull. Wouldn't want it any other way. Those guys spend a lot of time building a hull that allows the motor to perform to its highest ability. Transom angles and other things play factors in the performance of these boats.

X2 on everything said above. I've been on runs with guys that had a Mudmotor on just a regular haul and not a mud motor haul and I could tell their boats performance was a lot different than mine.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackhead62 View Post
X2 on everything said above. I've been on runs with guys that had a Mudmotor on just a regular haul and not a mud motor haul and I could tell their boats performance was a lot different than mine.

You are correct. I've gotta GDSD on an alweld, I can turn Better because of the keels on the bottom but they seem to grab more vegetation than a true mud hull. As far as deep water running, I'm not convinced that the 2 different types of hulls will run any different. That is, if they are same size, thickness and whatever crimp they may have.

To the OP, go ride in everything you can. I don't see why you wouldn't be happy with any of the big name brand boats/motors
Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 617

Over the past 7 years I've owned go devil surface drive, pro drive, and gator tail so I can tell you with first hand experience...get the gator tail and be done with it. Hands down, it's better in mud due to longer drive and ability to trim down further, instant reverse is so much more convenient for frogging, docking, in and out the blinds and picking up decoys duck hunting, bowfishing, etc. the GTR is also faster than the PD....just all around a better performing package than the rest. Gator tail will also build a boat with any options to your specification.

Get the complete boat and motor package as stated above and don't look back.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:33 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838
Default surface drives

8 guide boats with gtr's 3 caught on fire two stop working. In one season and 2 reverses went out. Gatortail is junk. For a operation that used mud motors to and from blinds throughout the season there is nothing better then. Mud buddy! Is the way to go. We have 2 boats now with prodrive and love them too

My overall favorite is MB service is great they will help you out with any issues.

If you want to do yourself a favor call Kent with Gatortrax and he has a line up of boats with motors he can take you out on. It's in Springfield, la

Old 07-29-2016, 09:15 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 617

Keep in mind mud buddy and GTR now use the same electric reverse system (no more brake pads)...both have same Vanguard engines...so basically it'll come down to who is closest to you for sales/service and personal preference. I'd recommend Delta Performance in Franklin for GTR or Boat Dr in Harahan for MB if you choose that route.

Definitely test drive before you buy.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

The only thing I would change about my Prodrive is having instant reverse. It can be a pain at times having to turn the foot in a quick situation. Overall though, the full power reverse is an animal and has gotten me out and through some tough spots. It'll run a consistent mid to high 20's in deep water, which I find plenty fast enough for what the intended purpose of a surface drive is.

It chewed through all this vegetation at the duck lease last weekend. This is all water. The land starts about 15' off of the camp.
Camp 7-23-16.jpg
Old 07-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Tripletail

The hydro reverse isn't too bad in the thick stuff. My Prodrive had the ratchet reverse for two months and when I swapped to hydro it made a world of difference

Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
The only thing I would change about my Prodrive is having instant reverse. It can be a pain at times having to turn the foot in a quick situation. Overall though, the full power reverse is an animal and has gotten me out and through some tough spots. It'll run a consistent mid to high 20's in deep water, which I find plenty fast enough for what the intended purpose of a surface drive is.

It chewed through all this vegetation at the duck lease last weekend. This is all water. The land starts about 15' off of the camp.
Attachment 109243

Wow, that looks like some nasty stuff. For the most part we don't have to deal with that stuff in SWLA.
What does that look like during duck season?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Wow, that looks like some nasty stuff. For the most part we don't have to deal with that stuff in SWLA.
What does that look like during duck season?
This is in Grand Chenier, but on the north side of the highway so it's mainly fresh water. My cousin hunts the south side of the highway and doesn't have this issue. After a few trips, we'll have a good trail established and then start widening it each time we go. Once the cold hits, most of it dies and sinks.

Back on topic of the OP, I wouldn't trade the full power reverse on a Prodrive for anything in situations like this. I've ridden in a few Gator Tails that struggled in very little vegetation. You were better off backing out with a push pole than using reverse. With full power reverse and Gator Goide on my boat, I can run 80% of my boat up on the bank and back out off of it at 1/4 throttle.

Like stated before, which mud motor is better is completely dependent upon the person and what they are looking for. The old Ford bs Chevy debate! Best way to know what you like is to try them all. I did and chose Prodrive.