SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851
Default 4 blade vs 3 blade outboard props

Would changing my 3 blade stainless prop to a 4 blade on my tohatsu 25 help me get up quicker with a heavy load ( duck season)? Been bouncing the idea around and figured i'd ask the pros. I'm trying to get around getting rid of ole faithful to go to a surface drive. It's hard to cut loose 5500 these days, haven't figured out where all your money goes once you have a little one in the picture.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

mini jacker look it up! Its a $80 Jack plate it sets back 4inches and lifts 5, you will plane out faster and be able to go in shallower water, probably cheaper than a prop and more beneficial for what your wanting to use it for.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
Yes it will. You will loose a little on mph but not enough to hurt. I run a 4 blade on my 40 and you better hold on when I nail it. Do you have a tunnel or run a jack plate
That is the real question,flat bottom or tunnel? The right 4 blade will hook up better on a tunnel running in the mud. You will loose some top end speed but its a trade off.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
That is the real question,flat bottom or tunnel? The right 4 blade will hook up better on a tunnel running in the mud. You will loose some top end speed but its a trade off.

he has a tunnel...Southfork.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Flounder

Cash: 653

Guys I am llooking for a 4 blade for a 40 merc, got it on a 20 ft by 36 inch vented tunnel with a jack plate. It has 60 carbs and runs really good just looking for a better hole shot. Does anyone know where I could get one besides going to a prop shop or dealership?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
Would changing my 3 blade stainless prop to a 4 blade on my tohatsu 25 help me get up quicker with a heavy load ( duck season)? Been bouncing the idea around and figured i'd ask the pros. I'm trying to get around getting rid of ole faithful to go to a surface drive. It's hard to cut loose 5500 these days, haven't figured
out where all your money goes
once you have a little one in the
picture.
Just wait,'you ain't seen notin yet!!
Mine think $100 bills mysteriously fly out my azz.
There is no way I can justify spend the dollars they want for a boat/motor only used 60 days per year. Find you an 18' and merc 40,cheaper and more versatile than the S/D rig.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Just wait,'you ain't seen notin yet!!
Mine think $100 bills mysteriously fly out my azz.
There is no way I can justify spend the dollars they want for a boat/motor only used 60 days per year. Find you an 18' and merc 40,cheaper and more versatile than the S/D rig.
that was what i was originally thinking but my uncle convinced me to keep my 25 since i follow behind his surface drive. I really like my 16X42 vented tunnel with the 25 Hatsu. It has really been a nice combo for me just looking to get a better hole shot in the mud with a load. I had a cmc tilt and trim and mounted it to where it raised my motor to a good height so that i didnt need a jack plate, but now that my cmc bit the bullet I'm weighing my options at getting either another tilt and trim but going panther or going hydraulic jack plate. I'm going with one or the other before duck season just cant make up my mind which one. Will definitely get on the horn to get a 4 blade prop though. Loosing the top end isn't an issue since this is only for duck season and I only have a 5 minute haul.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Great White

Only problem is there is not many good 4 blades for a 25hp. Did you have someone add extra cup on the prop? If not then you will hook up alot better if you do so even with a 3 blade.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Ling

have a powertech on it, but have not had anyone add cup to it, and no D i dont have a knife on it but sometimes wish i did since my vinton lease grows up BAD this time of year, seems like the 40 mercs my uncles run can throw the grass when getting on step but i just blow out if i have any on my prop, gets old backing up then starting over or raising the motor every 100 ft but the tunnel has helped a lot with this problem
Old 09-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Sailfish

http://www.ptprop.com/images/stories/docs/bclass.pdf
Old 09-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Great White

Quote:
have a powertech on it, but have not had anyone add cup to it, and no D i dont have a knife on it but sometimes wish i did since my vinton lease grows up BAD this time of year, seems like the 40 mercs my uncles run can throw the grass when getting on step but i just blow out if i have any on my prop, gets old backing up then starting over or raising the motor every 100 ft but the tunnel has helped a lot with this problem
If you dont have extra cup on your prop for a tunnel it will help ALOT
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Call Marcus at powertech props. Be can get you fixed up witht the proper 4 blade. The 4 blade will help everywhere but top end. You will lose a couple of mph there. He can explain all of that. He is very good at getting you dialed in. There number is on there website.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Great White

Quote:

When was the Hydrualic jackplate added?
Thats bad to the bone!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
When was the Hydrualic jackplate added?
Thats bad to the bone!
ain't got no hydraulic jackplate willis
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Great White

Jew, i was saying when did the hydraulic jackplate get added to the "list" of potential idea's for the rig.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Ling

when i found out that my tilt and trim was not getting fixed so now its either replace it with another tilt and trim or get a hydraulic lift.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Sailfish

Shawn, get a fixed jack plate and have a tunnel cup put in your prop. Seen many tunnels and none with hyd jack plate. Don't try to over engineer,it's really a simple process to make it preform. Get your prop to my office and I will drop it off.