SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I'd highly recommend you think long and hard about marsh island in that boat. The bay is very shallow and can turn to crap fast and leave you in a bind. I've been there and done that in a small oat. I live near the area have a big boat now and seldom fish it. Make the extra drive farther east. You'll be glad you did. Golden Meadow, Leeville,(my favorite) and Fourhon are better for the type of fishing your looking to do with that boat. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Launch on east side of Hog Island weir and fish the marsh to the south of the main canal. It's shallow and just what you described. You can even work your way to West Cove through the marsh ponds. No one hardly goes in there because its so shallow but your boat can handle it, well as long as its not a hard outgoing wind blown winter tide. Then you may be sitting in mud.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
Someone inform me on how you can own water ? The law reads if you can get into from a navigable water way and it doesn't go completely dry on low tide then it's public. You can own the land around the water but not the water. I know this subject has been breached before but shed some light kind sirs.
The way I understood and read somewhere once, is that "navigable waters" doesn't mean anywhere you can float a boat. I read it had something to do with waters used for commerce back in the day. So a little trenasse, pond, or small bayou deep in the marsh on someones land is actually private. But there's probably more to it than that. The laws suck, but that's what we got until the laws get changed.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Flounder

Cash: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooksomerice View Post
New to the forum. been fishing for years with friends and guides. Just picked up my first boat. 17 ft. Hewe's Tailfisher.

I need some help getting started. I am looking for a good place to start with this rig.

I am looking for reds primarily. I want shallow water, channels, deadends, small lakes.

I live in Alexandria, so Vermillion Bay area or lake Charles area makes the most sense.

I hope to get pics up of my new rig soon, for anyone interested.

Thanks
How much water do you draft. Do you want to sight or blind cast.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY SPOT View Post
How much water do you draft. Do you want to sight or blind cast.
The Tailfisher drafts 7 inches. Ideally, I would like to site fish. Even if its just waves and tails!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I'd highly recommend you think long and hard about marsh island in that boat. The bay is very shallow and can turn to crap fast and leave you in a bind. I've been there and done that in a small oat. I live near the area have a big boat now and seldom fish it. Make the extra drive farther east. You'll be glad you did. Golden Meadow, Leeville,(my favorite) and Fourhon are better for the type of fishing your looking to do with that boat. Good luck.
Thanks for the advise. Thanks to Montauk17 too for similar advise.

So far, from this thread, I have ruled out Vermillion Bay. I still have Big lake area and area farther east.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
Launch on east side of Hog Island weir and fish the marsh to the south of the main canal. It's shallow and just what you described. You can even work your way to West Cove through the marsh ponds. No one hardly goes in there because its so shallow but your boat can handle it, well as long as its not a hard outgoing wind blown winter tide. Then you may be sitting in mud.
This is good. This run may be the quickest and so may be my first outing.
Anything else I need to know about the area?
What is the water like in the marsh there?
What do you recommend I throw out there? I will be fishing artificial only.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Hard to beat gulp on a jighead or a spinnerbait
Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Pretty sure I read somewhere that "navigable waters" are an area where a tugboat can turn around in. You guys are spot on with the receding land and ownership of the land under the water. Most places have trespassing signs or something somewhat blocking the entrance to the bayou or marsh. You don't have to post your property in Louisiana if im not mistaken...The marsh on the east side of hog island wier is a good starting point. I plan on fishing back there soon, ive only been once and its pretty nice.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 663

Navigable waters were declared on the state lands map many years ago (1910). What was navigable (not privately owned/settled) then is public and what was not declared navigable is private no matter if it is twenty feet deep or a bayou, river, lake, bay, etc. Also, just because you have to go in a gatortail does not make it private.

Please read LA Reserve Statute 9:1101 below

"LRS 9:1101. Ownership of waters and beds of bayous, rivers, streams, lagoons, lakes and bays. The waters of and in all bayous, rivers, streams, lagoons, lakes and bays, and the beds thereof, not under the direct ownership of any person on August 12, 1910, are declared to be the property of the state. There shall never be any charge assessed against any person for the use of the waters of the state for municipal, industrial, agricultural or domestic purposes.

While acknowledging the absolute supremacy of the United States of America over the navigation on the navigable waters within the borders of the state, it is hereby declared that the ownership of the water itself and the beds thereof in the said navigable waters is vested in the
state and that the state has the right to enter into possession of these waters when not interfering
with the control of navigation exercised thereon by the United States of America. This Section shall not affect the acquisition of property by alluvion or accretion.
All transfers and conveyances or purported transfers and conveyances made by the state of Louisiana to any levee district of the state of any navigable waters and the beds and bottoms thereof are hereby rescinded, revoked and canceled. This Section is not intended to interfere with the acquisition in good faith of any waters or the beds thereof transferred by the state or its agencies prior to August 12, 1910."

Hope this clears things up!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Quote:
Popping cork with a gulp 8 to 10 inches below it is hard to beat. Also the trustee gold spoon. If there is grass Flukes. The way the wind has been the water is holding up great. With those popping corks it can be pure mud and its game on.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
The West Cove and Hog Island boat launches are in the Sabine National Refuge. There are lots of regulations......and as someone said, the fines are expensive if you don't follow the rules.

I recomment that you go to this link and do some reading. After you finish reading the information....read it again.

http://www.fws.gov/swlarefugecomplex.../huntfish.html
Old 06-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748

Lafitte. I used to take my 17' Ankona Native SUV out there all the time. Hit the bayou DuPont and texaco canal areas.