SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 05-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978
Default Brush Piles- Toledo Bend

What type of areas and what depth do you look for when placing brush piles in Toledo Bend. My dad and I have been placing some trees in the same area for a few years and now we can't fish them because someone else is always fishing them. Its the same people who fish them everyday. So we need to find a new spot.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

I would put them in the same area around the old ones. Put a bunch they can't fish them all. Do it while they are fishing your old ones. When they make a comment tell them you thought they needed a few more to fish. Then next time they are on one your piles pull up next to them and fish.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default Brush Piles- Toledo Bend

Wait till they leave first . If you have a big boat try dragging a old or cheap anchor through the brush pile and scatter it or relocate it. Don't ask me how I know..... I try to put my brush piles in 20-30' of water on the edge of a creek channel. We were catching WP on the edges of main lake moss beds last week in 13-15' but it is slowing down.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by saute86 View Post
I would put them in the same area around the old ones. Put a bunch they can't fish them all. Do it while they are fishing your old ones. When they make a comment tell them you thought they needed a few more to fish. Then next time they are on one your piles pull up next to them and fish.
We have 4 separate piles in the same area. I think the word has gotten out over the years and the locals have been fishing them hard. They will even pull up right next us and fish the same pile. Next year we are cutting them off and trying to find a new area.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

With today's electronics no brush pile is safe. When I fish mine I never anchor and move anytime a boat comes along. I use a mini buoy made from 3 wine corks when fishing too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140803_121121.jpg (42.2 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg 20140803_113536_resized.jpg (56.9 KB, 427 views)
Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Flounder

Cash: 640

Unless you have used the Side Imaging or Structure Scan equipment, you would be surprised and amazed at how easy it is to find brush piles and mark them on GPS. I record the bottom of the lake on a SD Card, take it home and study it on my laptop, then just point and click to set a waypoint in my boat electronics to use on my next trip out. It's like taking all the water out of the lake and looking at the bottom! And you would not believe how many brush piles have been placed in the popular lakes!! It's just not possible to hide them anymore. I put out many in different locations, especially in the lakes with no natural structure, and mine are usually occupied within a few weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Redfish

Cash: 725

I fished one on the south end of Toledo this morning that stretches over 5 acres along a creek on the main lake
Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 AM
Flounder

Cash: 640

If I have a spot I want to try and hide some structure, I build a structure out of PVC and sand paper the pipe so the Algae will stick to it. Most PVC is invisible to Sonar, Down Imaging and Side Imaging, but a group of fish around it will still show up.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop N Cork View Post
If I have a spot I want to try and hide some structure, I build a structure out of PVC and sand paper the pipe so the Algae will stick to it. Most PVC is invisible to Sonar, Down Imaging and Side Imaging, but a group of fish around it will still show up.
^^I read about this not too long ago. Put them out at night maybe? Maybe down a plain Jane stretch of bank that not many people fish. If there isn't any structure / cover near by, I would think this might be just as good as piling brush on an ideal spot.