SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Flounder

Cash: 650
Default Bass Often Hide in Plain Sight

Big bass are frequently compared to big bucks when it comes to explaining their propensity to get large without getting caught or killed. Although this comparison is often a little overused, there are some truths within the cliché.

And according to West Monroe bass angler Kenny Covington, one truth is that big bucks and big bass tend to look at the obvious places in a different way.

“Big bass are good at hiding right in plain sight right out there in places where everybody fishes” he said. “We get so conditioned to pulling up to a spot and fishing the same places as everybody else because it’s what looks good to us. You can bet if it looks good to you it looks good to every other Tom, **** and Harry that fishes that spot.”

Covington equated it to driving down the road and pulling in at McDonalds after passing an obscure 5-star restaurant that went unnoticed. Why does everybody hit the McDonalds rather than the obscure restaurant? McDonald’s is obvious.

“I can give you a perfect example,” Covington went on. “I caught my biggest Cheniere Lake bass by looking at obvious cover in a new way. I was fishing a group of four cypress trees. Three of them were perfect… great root balls, some grass around their bases. A fourth one was just kind of nondescript, a small tree that wasn’t much more than an afterthought in my mind before I made the cast.”

Covington says he had never fished that little tree before, and he is pretty sure that most everybody else that fishes the lake hadn’t fished it either. A couple casts later, he was battling a 7-pound largemouth that sucked in his spinnerbait.

Read the rest at http://evangler.com/2010/04/23/hiding-in-plain-sight/