SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default measuring the steering cable question

I need a new Teleflex rotary steering cable (just the cable) because I bought an 8' cable kit a while back (too long to return it) and I just now got around to installing it and found out the cable (plastic part) is only 6 1/2ft long measured from the nut to the plug in fitting that snaps into the steering box so I cant use it because its too short so im guessing I need a 10 ft cable instead.

before I order a new cable, can you confim the cable measurement goes from the plastic part (nut to the steering box snap fitting) and then add 2 more feet to that measurement?

I just want to be sure im measuring it right because the cable I have now is stamped ss6208 which says its an 8ft cable and its about 18" short

thanks for your help

also has anyone ever used the uflex brand cables and are they good quality? they are $20 cheaper then the Teleflex cables

Last edited by keakar; 05-01-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I suggest you go to the Teleflex web site. They have information on how to measure your boat to get the right length cable.

Double check your measurements. I bought a new cable from them and if it would have been 2 inches longer......I don't think I could have gotten it to fit.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I suggest you go to the Teleflex web site. They have information on how to measure your boat to get the right length cable.

Double check your measurements. I bought a new cable from them and if it would have been 2 inches longer......I don't think I could have gotten it to fit.
I went to Teleflex and there video is broken but I found a working video for it on youtube.

I measured my plastic sleeve which was 7 1/2 ft so I ordered the 8ft cable but I forgot about adding 2 feet to the measurement.

when you buy a 8ft cable you get a 6 1/22 foot cable with 18" of inner cable that goes into the steering so in reality to measure correctly you measure from the nut to the tip of the end of the cable and not the plastic sleeve.

I ordered a 10 ft cable ($95) and will sell my brand new 8ft one on ebay I guess