SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Personally I have one two DUCK calls on my lanyard ONE "duck commander chicabola" that I love and blow that only. Ppl talk bad about em but i tuned it to my liking and it sounds great do I don't need anything else. I blow a quack, greeting, comeback, bouncing hen, feeding/chuckle, blue wing teal squeal etc. with the same call. Other one I use strictly for someone who wants to learn "Buck garner" In the blind on a slack time break. It takes less air like a dr85 to get a simple quack great for beginners
Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,201

No I think you are right on. I didn't take it as you knocking me, it's all good man.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Master the DR and you can master them all.........My 2 cents......your milage may vary
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
Master the DR and you can master them all.........My 2 cents......your milage may vary

i agree I bounced a hen in the truck on the way to work this am!! lol!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Flounder

Cash: 822

Sure Shot plastic call is a great beginner call and works really well. I also like DC calls as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Flounder

Cash: 637

Thanks for all the input guys. I looked up all the calls mentioned and read up on a bunch of others. Ended up calling my uncle who collects calls and went to his house to try out a few. I went with an RNT daisy cutter acrylic and a timber hunter coco bola. I already have 2 haydels and a quack head so I was looking for some upgrades on those. I will be practicing a lot on the timber hunter and get good with a single reed before I start to play around with the daisy cutter. I'm hoping everything works out well!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Sailfish

Single reeds to me are competition calls. I blow doubles. I get more reaction and to me they sound more ducky. To each his own
Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Flounder

Cash: 637

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Single reeds to me are competition calls. I blow doubles. I get more reaction and to me they sound more ducky. To each his own
I figured if I could learn on a single reed, I could blow any call. If I learned on a double reed, I might not be able to blow a single if I ever needed to. I'll be practicing a lot and hopefully getting pretty good with them
Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Sailfish

That guy is in something.. Lol... Butter check this guys vids out I think he makes the best ones. Let me know what you think.. Freestyleoutdoors search advanced duck calling on you tube and look for his name he does a bunch of them he's a beast. Or maybe search for Freestyleoutdoors and see what that brings up.

About the duck calls: you do you bro I'm just letting you know my expierience to help you as much as possible because when I learned I didn't have this site to ask ppl my dad didn't hunt I just listened to tapes and practiced when my folks weren't home because they got irritated quick when an old faulks call wouldnt stop blowing. Lol. I practiced all the te thinking I was going to be the best in the world but now I just love to do it and teach my friends because when 3 ppl in one blind can cALl in a cadence it makes a tune no duck can resist. Practice hard play harder! If you need pm me im always down to mess around with the calls and see how mad I can make the ole lady!!! Lol
Old 09-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480
Lmfao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Here is a very good demo of how to do a bouncing hen

Duck Calling 101: Bouncing Hen - YouTube

Priceless!! I want to hunt w him
Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502

I completely agree about the DR85, best overall call out there. A buddy of mine has a RNT and claims it has locked up on him ever since the first time he took it out on a hunt. Not sayin they are all like that but thats just my experience, my DR85 however has been put through hell and still sounds as good as the first day i bought it.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I just started a couple years ago, I don't call big ducks, I just throw some decoys, I use a feeding call that you call by hand, but other then that my calling sucks. I have a teal call I use, its a haydel it works good and I use a whistle for wood ducks.