SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 07-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962
Default Fridays Trip

Some Times U the Hammer.. Sometimes U the Nail...
Team FinChaser headed out Friday Morning and was greeted with Slick calm seas.. Opened her up and nice cruising speed 35 MPH and just took it all in.... Made it out to where we wanted to fish... No current at all... That made chumming up some mangroves a little challenging... Anyway had My 2 friends Keith and Scott on the boat and they are not offshore fisherman... So It was teaching time... I showed them how to cut bait, put it on hook.. What to do when U get a mangrove …
First Platform we didn't get a bite.. Short run to second platform...
Didn't get a bite.. There about 25 miutes when 3 cobia come calling.. They made one past under the boat and Before I could get a bait to them. They swamm back down.. Damnnn.
FinChaser 0 Cobia 3... We move again to another platform where i had done real good on mangrove snapper.
We started off chumming with corm and macaroni... Difting cut pogies.. I'm the first one to hook up.. After a nice fight.. 10-11# endangered Red Snapper comes up... Damn... Going to be one of those days...
We finally started getting some hook up.. But they were all Red Snaps. All being released because they are closed season..
Anyway move to another corner of platform.. I'm on the bow of FinChaser.. I throw a couple handfuls of My chum. Still Not very much current . Anyway.. I hook into a very nice fish.. Ran to front of boat after a short fight .. Nice mangrove of about 8#...
As Im puting Mangrove into fish box, I hear Big Shark From Scott. I look over side and It's another real nice Cobia.. After a pass He’s also gone again…
For the next 2 hrs we are catching RS's and Mangroves.
Same Cobia made 3 different appearances at FinChaser.. I’m thnking Boy O for 4 on Cobia ain’t good.. Looks like FinChaser and I are the Nail today…But they say sometime the 4th time is the Charm….Finally I threw a couple of pieces of cut bait when the same cobias when came back up…… He was cruising the surface and I throw my Pink Jig in Front of him… I swam the bait right to him.. He inhaled It and the fight was on..
Get him to the boat 3 different times. But I had no one experienced to gaff the fish.. So after getting a fighting belt on Keith.. I hand him the rod and tell him to keep pressure on the fish with the rod. Anyway Keith get him to the Boat.. I stick him with the Gaff a little to far away from the head.. Man did he come alive.. Lucky I had put my gloves on to hold To get a better grip on my 6’ gaff.
I was able to hold onto him and got him into the fishbox… Nice 40# Cobia… We ended the day with 14 nice groves between 6-8#. And 1 40# Cobia. Not A half bad day..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1772.jpg (86.5 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1771.jpg (27.9 KB, 357 views)
Old 07-23-2016, 05:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

nicely done!
Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

Great trip Gunner!!!
Old 07-30-2016, 09:17 AM
Flounder

Cash: 612

That's a win.