SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER View Post
I bet it's hair raising when one of them suckers is struting and gobbling!!!!
Strutting & gobbling is one thing but when that dude gets close enough to hear him drumming & it sounds like a diesel motor.......EWE WEEEEE!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
strutting & gobbling is one thing but when that dude gets close enough to hear him drumming & it sounds like a diesel motor.......ewe weeeee!

i'd probably piss myself before i got a shot off
Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Redfish

Cash: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
PBJ, maybe you could line 'em out on that Kisatchie turkey hunting, like where to go AND WHERE NOT TO GO
That's a good one. HAHA
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Redfish

Cash: 758

Quote:
I bet it's hair raising when one of them suckers is struting and gobbling!!!!
You're right. When you hear one gobbling its head off and coming closer and closer it really gets the blood flowing. Good luck this year!! If you hunt where there are alot of turkeys and spend enough time in the woods you will eventually get one.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Blue Marlin

I've never been, but it's definately on my bucket list
Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

You think Big Lake fishing is bad, go to Big Lake WMA on opening day of turkey season I almost hope that I don't hear one gobble at daybreak, because 10 others heard him too!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
i'd probably piss myself before i got a shot off
My cousin lives in Texas and had a lease. He killed turkeys in the fall but never in the spring. I talked him into makin a spring hunt and we finally did it. The first Mornin we had a Jake standing by the decoy and a double bearded boss bustin through the mesquites to get to us. I thought my cousin was gonna shake all the acorns off that little scrub oak we was sittin against.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by top dawg View Post
my cousin lives in texas and had a lease. He killed turkeys in the fall but never in the spring. I talked him into makin a spring hunt and we finally did it. The first mornin we had a jake standing by the decoy and a double bearded boss bustin through the mesquites to get to us. I thought my cousin was gonna shake all the acorns off that little scrub oak we was sittin against.

that would be me
Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
You think Big Lake fishing is bad, go to Big Lake WMA on opening day of turkey season I almost hope that I don't hear one gobble at daybreak, because 10 others heard him too!
That is not a stretching the truth.

I was up there a few years back. At 4 in the morning, they needed a traffic cop to direct traffic.

We had located some Toms gobbling at sundown the day before the season opened. There had only been one other person down this trail that evening.

The next morning, there was 3 other trucks parked at this trail more than an hour before daylight. After we made the 3/4 mile walk, there were 2 guys waiting where we heard the gobbling. They told us that there were other hunters 200 yards down the trail. Before daylight several hunters walked on past us and 2 more stopped just a little down the trail.

Daylight...... Wow! First 2 Tom's gobbled off to the north just as the sky first started to lighten up, then one or 2 gobbled to the SW. Then a group of a dozen or more "shook" the trees just a few hundred yards to the south. This went on for a little while and our little group talked about which direction we would head out.

We headed out toward the big group of Toms. By the time we got set up back in the woods, there was a hunter making lots of calls [this in not good] off to our left a hundred. We decided to make a big circle to come in from the back side of these Tom's. Our "circle" got cut short because we spotted 2 other hunters off in front of us, so we setup in the first good spot we found for the 3 of us to hunt.

About 30 min later I spotted a hen moving through our area. Just as the hen was going out of sight.....Boom, my friend shot at a Jake, but we did not get him. He said the Tom walked up close to the other hunter so he could not take that shot. The Tom got spooked and took of flying.... that is when he took a shot.

With all the turkey and hunters in that area..... there was only 1 other shot that morning, and it was fairly far away.

I have not been back up there and don't ever plan to go again. The picture is actually on Tensas River.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tensas Turkey.jpg (74.5 KB, 16 views)