SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Flounder

Cash: 641
Default License/Permit Needed to Guide

I know some of you are guides or do some guiding. I am thinking about doing some guiding next year in my rice field blind in the Bunkie / Whiteville area. I'm definitely not trying to guide full time just trying to offset some costs so I would be guiding maybe 3 or 4 trips per year.

Do you need any special license or permits to guide hunters in Louisiana? I know there are restrictions when guiding involves navigable waterways but this is strictly a rice field.

I am looking into insurance options but if any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

No guide license or outfitter license is required by wildlife and fisheries. It does get tricky parish by parish when the taxes come into play. You may have to obtain an occupational license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Flounder

Thanks. That's one thing I hadn't thought of. I will ask my CPA how to handle taxes. I will find out about the occupational licenses.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Flounder

Cash: 725

Unfortunately the only license needed is if you take people on public waterways. Then you need a captains license. Other than that, any dummy can call themselves a guide...and many do.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Flounder

I probably fit the "dummy" category just for thinking about it. It's been a dream of mine since I was a teenager. I think there should be some kind of licensing if nothing else just for safety.

I've actually been "guiding" for years since my partners had little to no waterfowl hunting experience initially and none of them can even call a cab. If I can't go hunting they usually don't go because they have little to no success alone. From that standpoint they are "booking " a hunt with me to make sure they get to harvest some birds.

I am only looking to do a few hunts per year and I looking to be selective on who I guide. I am good with people and I like to make hunting fun.

I know there are lots of jokers out there who "guide" people all the way to the bank just to take their money with no regard for the hunting experience and the opportunity to harvest birds. I have been on some of those hunts with some so called guides. I have also leased some of those blinds from the same kind unscrupulous people. I won't ever do either. My personal reputation is worth more than any money I might make.

Thanks for the information. I am open to any and all advice and suggestions.

Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzon30s View Post
Unfortunately the only license needed is if you take people on public waterways. Then you need a captains license. Other than that, any dummy can call themselves a guide...and many do.
Amen, and too many of them at that!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

I think the only qualification necessary is having a ribbon dog.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Unfortunately the government is always going to find a way to steal money from you. Hopefully you dont need to pay for any BS licenses or permits. Good luck man.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

you mean there are enough ducks that come down to Louisiana that a man could actually guide for them? I thought ducks didn't reach La anymo

Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
I think the only qualification necessary is having a ribbon dog.
Come on man, 99% of guide dogs are "Rock Dogs".
Old 02-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

My only advice is to be honest with your clients. If you are a good hunter, then you know what your chances are to kill on any given day. Of course sometimes your surprised with a hunt that is either worse or better than expected. What gets me is when a "guide" flat out lies about what they been killing. They say they been murdering them and when u get there it is painfully obvious that they haven't. Oh, and let the clients shoot, they didn't pay to see how good of a shot you are.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
X10
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Find another way to offset the cost. Charging to guide puts you in business. Being in business costs money plus puts all responsibility on you if someone was to get hurt. Most General Liability insurance policies are at least $1000 a year for hunting/guiding and that only gets you $1,000,000. And a million does not go far when some pone gets shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I'm kinda in the same position Robbie, and worse is that it's my own family.
But I don't have the birds to consider guiding although I'd like to.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 461

This is north of washington, the land is owned by a volunteer of herohunts charity. This was taken the 2nd week in jan, after the 1st cold front passed though. They are mostly green heads and some pintail. very few teal tell me what you think.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Flounder

I wholeheartedly agree with being honest and having integrity. That's important in any situation. Anything else is really a one way trip out of business. I feel that the attitude of "you should have been hunting with me yesterday" has given the honest hard working guides a bad reputation and made it harder for them to operate.

The guide shooting "for" a client has always been puzzling to me. I do understand shooting back up to finish off a cripple or a bird that has been badly hit but didn't go down. That is the real definition of shooting back up. But shooting first is absurd if others are paying you a fee to guide them in my opinion.

I am still investigating the business aspect and how best to handle it.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 02-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Guided for 21 years. I always asked the sports (customers) what they wanted. I could not shoot at all, shoot cripples or shoot with them. Most wanted you to shoot with them. Most would give me shells to shoot. As everyone said be honest.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by herohunts View Post
This is north of washington, the land is owned by a volunteer of herohunts charity. This was taken the 2nd week in jan, after the 1st cold front passed though. They are mostly green heads and some pintail. very few teal tell me what you think.
Can't see pic

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
My only advice is to be honest with your clients. If you are a good hunter, then you know what your chances are to kill on any given day. Of course sometimes your surprised with a hunt that is either worse or better than expected. What gets me is when a "guide" flat out lies about what they been killing. They say they been murdering them and when u get there it is painfully obvious that they haven't. Oh, and let the clients shoot, they didn't pay to see how good of a shot you are.

This is true. I let people know ahead of time what my expectations are when looking at weather forecast and scouting. Some people don't have the option to hunt during the week when the better days might be. But I let them know ahead of time what I expect. With that said you also have to be careful. Some times everything might be perfect weather wise but the birds have something else on their mind. Quite a few people on here have hunted with me and can tell you I sit back and judge the first couple shots before I pick up my gun. At the end of the day you want your customers to go home with birds and a good pic so if I have to knock down a few birds for them so be it.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Flounder

Good points about the guide shooting and scouting reports. Keep them coming. At this point I am all ears.

Robbie aka Big Hutch