SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:47 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

crawfish farmers are making money off land they already use for agriculture. my friend does it and makes a killing. the only thing he has to pay for is diesel for the water pumps. the rest is already there! hard to make a living... right... hes getting rich off of nothing.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

boiled crabs or shrimp over crawfish anyday! And I can get my own of both of those for just a lil gas money.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
thats what they want you to think... they say the same crap every year... too cold, too wet, too dry, too hot, too many beers. theres always an excuse and they just know these idiots will pay $100 for a meal that doesnt fill them up since its "cajun".

"They" are not telling us anything other than what's going on. I see it everyday just like I have been all my life. The sane reason nobody planted any rice it corn before this week. It's been too cold and none if you can deny that! Just like fishing, when it's cold they don't move and the catch goes down. And it won't get good and stay good until it stays warm for more days than it is cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 AM
Red Snapper

well that would be like trying to pick a crop before its ripe also. we start eating the crawfish too soon every year.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
well that would be like trying to pick a crop before its ripe also. we start eating the crawfish too soon every year.

That's why most if them didn't start running till mid-February or later at least when they usually start the first of the year. It's not that they start too early, they start when the catch is worth the gas and the bait it takes to run.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Red Snapper

doesnt take much to make it worth 4-5/lb
Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
You're free to go catch your own. Buy the gas, the license, the boat, the bait, the traps. Then spend 12 hours a day trying to find em and, moving trap after trap. It's a 100% profit business!
You've forgotten one crucial item...the field, the water to pump in that field. NOT something just anyone can jump into. So when you say "free to catch your own"...not exactly. But I think understand what you're saying, there is a cost in raising crawfish. But has that cost increased this much since last year? I don't remember what crawfish were going for at this time last year(maybe someone here remembers), but this has to be at least a 50% increase.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
It's supply and demand. Plain and simple. When they're catching well the price goes down and when the catch goes down the price goes up. And the catch almost directly affected by the weather and a winter like this one will seriously delay the season. Consistently warmer weather=lower prices.

That's not exactly always the case. We've had cold winters before. We've had a short supply before. We've never had $4.50/lb live crawfish in March before. Problem is, there is a lot of greed along the crawfish grapevine. Now THAT is plain and simple.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
You've forgotten one crucial item...the field, the water to pump in that field. NOT something just anyone can jump into. So when you say "free to catch your own"...not exactly.
The spillway is plum full of them. I never caught a single crawfish from a pond. And, the water, pumps and, land are very expensive...It's a greedy business. Again, Henderson and, Pierre Part has plenty of unleased waters to fish from. It's the hardest I've ever worked but, the most fun I ever had working, with the exception of getting stung by yellow jackets on a near daily basis!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
That's not exactly always the case. We've had cold winters before. We've had a short supply before. We've never had $4.50/lb live crawfish in March before. Problem is, there is a lot of greed along the crawfish grapevine. Now THAT is plain and simple.

That's inflation. Just like everything else in the world it's getting more expensive. The price of fuel goes up the price of bait goes up the price of labor goes up, you can't seriously the cost of the product to say the same

Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
The spillway is plum full of them. I never caught a single crawfish from a pond. And, the water, pumps and, land are very expensive...It's a greedy business. Again, Henderson and, Pierre Part has plenty of unleased waters to fish from. It's the hardest I've ever worked but, the most fun I ever had working, with the exception of getting stung by yellow jackets on a near daily basis!
Congrats, you are one of the lucky ones. In my area it's not an option. I remember a time back in my childhood when farmers would let people go in and crawfish their ponds...and yes that was a lot of fun.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
That's inflation. Just like everything else in the world it's getting more expensive. The price of fuel goes up the price of bait goes up the price of labor goes up, you can't seriously the cost of the product to say the same

The price of fuel has been pretty flat over the past 6 years, so I'm getting tired of that excuse. The bottom line is the crawfish farmers will charge whatever they can get for them. If restaurants and these drive thru places wouldn't sell out at ridiculous prices, they would be forced to lower the price. Capitalism at work.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Come on guys. Once price goes up and the market sustains it, the price will never go down. These prices will stay regardless of catch cost because people will pay. Don't sell a man a pound of crawfish at $2 when he is willing to pay $6. These things will be $7-$8 a pound in the next few years and boiling shacks will still sell out by 6pm on the weekends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2014, 08:22 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
The price of fuel has been pretty flat over the past 6 years, so I'm getting tired of that excuse. The bottom line is the crawfish farmers will charge whatever they can get for them. If restaurants and these drive thru places wouldn't sell out at ridiculous prices, they would be forced to lower the price. Capitalism at work.

The farmers don't set the price. You think they'd let it get down below $3 if it was up to them? It's not like they're raking in the money here? The price is high because they aren't catching. It may be 3 or 4 dollars a pound, but 7 sacks on 100 acres doesn't exactly leave a whole lot if profit. The price could be $10 a pound but that probably means they're catching like 10 pounds a day

Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

I agree with Aubrey.... I work with these farmers everyday! Farmers dont set their prices! There is a market price.

I can assure you that not all farmers are making a killing like someone suggested in a previous post!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Lots of crawfish getting shipped out of state. Years ago no one else even ate crawfish.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Red Snapper

aliens
Old 03-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

I'm receiving quotes to boil 2,000 lbs of crawfish with all of the fixings. We have been having this boil for over 15 yrs. This year, the quotes that have come in are through the roof! They have pretty much doubled. The boil takes place first weekend in May which is well after lent. Pretty crazy if you ask me!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

To many middle men in the business.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
To many middle men in the business.
The docks are the big problem in this business. Fishermen are terrified of them. If they catch too much, the dock won't buy them. If they catch too little, the dock will black list them. Everyone's "hero" Troy Landry is right up there in the dock a-hole list!