SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
turbos can last for 100's of thousands of miles... lmao. turbos on diesels go out. injectors on gas trucks stop working or cruise control boxes catch fire and burn down people houses, air bags dont deploy on the new chevys and they recall millions of vehicles.... what the heck do you think... someone makes a car/truck without problems? cant live in a "brand" bubble just cuz your daddy likes the nascar team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
I know 7-8 people that have the Ecoboost with no issues. Let me guess you a Chevy guy?

REGARDLESS SPEND THE EXTRA $ & GET A 4WD.

I don't live in a "brand bubble". I simply stated the fact that I know three separate people who had similar problems with the same trucks. My dad has driven fords, Chevys, and dodges, and his fords have him more trouble than any of the others. That's plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Flounder

Cash: 694

I've been pouring over the data/reviews/etc in effort to locate the points I need to focus on when testing.

Something that keeps floating to the top with the new GM 2014's is the 6 gear auto tranny. Lots of comments about hunting gears/upshift/downshift/sloppy/slow shifts, etc. All this without even towing or loaded. To compound that when the new 8cyl decides to de-activate to 4cyl at the same time, it can get disconcerting. That could get old quick driving thru Mississippi and Alabama hills, where I plan to continue hunting for some years. I make a trip most weekends from Oct to Dec.
Go thru all that gyration every hill/valley? hmmm not sure about that. My present 4runner never does that, just stays in OD the whole time and holds steady.

That's the kind of stuff that has kept me in Toyotas for 3 vehicles in a row now, with many more for my kids and wife over the years.

Just moving slow soaking up all the comments, and plan to start driving some trucks this week. Nothing set in stone by any means. I could almost be persuaded into just buying a used 4x4 Tacoma, big grips, and leave at the camp, but that's another story and not needed on this thread, LOL.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

haha... buy you a new 2014 4x4 Tacoma! I promise you will love it! NO OTHER TRUCK holds their value like a Tacoma
Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
I don't live in a "brand bubble". I simply stated the fact that I know three separate people who had similar problems with the same trucks. My dad has driven fords, Chevys, and dodges, and his fords have him more trouble than any of the others. That's plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plain and simple you like Chevy and I at one time was a Chevy guy to...(and this has nothing to do with the bail out $)....until OCT of last year when I bought my 1st FORD.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Flounder

BassYakR, I borrowed a new 4x4 Tacoma 4door for an afternoon and many miles in/out of town last fall before I bought this used runner. For $30k, I just couldn't get used to the stiff ride, small cab, etc for the next 8-10yrs as a daily driver, the way I usually keep trucks. This was not a PreRunner with any kind of stiff suspension, just a plain 4x4.

I concur 100%++ about value, preaching to the choir here!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand View Post
I've been pouring over the data/reviews/etc in effort to locate the points I need to focus on when testing.

Something that keeps floating to the top with the new GM 2014's is the 6 gear auto tranny. Lots of comments about hunting gears/upshift/downshift/sloppy/slow shifts, etc. All this without even towing or loaded. To compound that when the new 8cyl decides to de-activate to 4cyl at the same time, it can get disconcerting. That could get old quick driving thru Mississippi and Alabama hills, where I plan to continue hunting for some years. I make a trip most weekends from Oct to Dec.
Go thru all that gyration every hill/valley? hmmm not sure about that. My present 4runner never does that, just stays in OD the whole time and holds steady.

That's the kind of stuff that has kept me in Toyotas for 3 vehicles in a row now, with many more for my kids and wife over the years.

Just moving slow soaking up all the comments, and plan to start driving some trucks this week. Nothing set in stone by any means. I could almost be persuaded into just buying a used 4x4 Tacoma, big grips, and leave at the camp, but that's another story and not needed on this thread, LOL.

when i first got my truck the 6 gears were different than what your used too but didn't take long to get used to. mostly the easier downshifting when accellerating from going slow...i go up to the hills of winnfield and on steep hills it will downshift when using cruise control . as for 8 to 4 cyl. i don't even notice it .
Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Ling

Hmmm.. My Tacoma Prerunner is lifted, But still handles and rides like a car.... not stiff at all..... Rides a lil rough now bc I keep 40psi in my tires...
Old 03-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

So in a nutshell you now need a 4WD with a V-8 to pull launch and recover a 2,000 lb aluminum hull and carry a 4 wheeler. My PawPaw pulled a 17' Sabre all around South Louisiana with a 86 Mercury Marquis....... I don't recall him ever getting stuck.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

I am shocked they still even make 2 WD trucks...
Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
I am shocked they still even make 2 WD trucks...

Me tooo

Spiral Out
Old 03-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Flounder

From an "86Merc Marquis", to "I'm surprised they still make 2wd trucks" !!!

We've been totally brainwashed by the power of advertising and peer pressure!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Ling

Go take home a 2014 GMC 4door 4x4 loaded..... I bet u keep it!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
So in a nutshell you now need a 4WD with a V-8 to pull launch and recover a 2,000 lb aluminum hull and carry a 4 wheeler. My PawPaw pulled a 17' Sabre all around South Louisiana with a 86 Mercury Marquis....... I don't recall him ever getting stuck.
I've seen some democrats pulling a boat using an old buck roadmaster while holding a funnel with a tube attached running to the radiator so they can fill up as it leaked. I think the OP wants to be safe and efficient with his travels...
Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

I recommended the 2WD earlier for the scenario that you described and I still stand by that.

Just also wanted to point out that if you ever make any trips up north a 4WD is sure nice in the snow and ice. I had to move up to Wyoming for a year and a half for my job in 2009... I had to use caution and never got stuck but a 4WD would have made things a lot easier.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand View Post
From an "86Merc Marquis", to "I'm surprised they still make 2wd trucks" !!!

We've been totally brainwashed by the power of advertising and peer pressure!
very true

unless you have a very steep launch or you are launching off a mud bank then a 2wd is fine for all your needs and maybe a dually for big large heavy boats but 98% of people who think the 4wd helped them don't realize they would have done the exact same job with a 2wd at lower fuel cost and vehicle repair maint is obviously more costly for 4wd because they are 4wd.

my brother inlaw had a 4wd for the last 15 years and never left the road with it and constantly cried about the cost of gas in the truck to go fishing (usually 3/4 of a tank each way) yet always bought another 4wd because he "might" need it so he wanted it lol.

he now has a 2wd mainly because of financial problems and is amazed at how well it does and finally admits he never needed a 4wd but was somehow convinced he did.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

If you like Toyota they make Tundra's with two V8s, a 5.7L and 4.6L. The 4.6L is much cheaper and has been used in Landcruisers for years. I just checkout out the Toyota website and it shows a 4.6L 4x4 double cab (not the bigger crew cab) for $32k.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

I'd like to know where you guys are launching all these $30,000-$60,000 boats with really muddy or steep launches... I want to go there and watch the show.

I know a lot of crappy launches but those are typically used to launch smaller boats and a 2WD full size truck usually does not have any issues.

Anywhere you are launching a nicer big heavy boat is usually a pretty decent launch from my experience.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
I'd like to know where you guys are launching all these $30,000-$60,000 boats with really muddy or steep launches... I want to go there and watch the show.

I know a lot of crappy launches but those are typically used to launch smaller boats and a 2WD full size truck usually does not have any issues.

Anywhere you are launching a nicer big heavy boat is usually a pretty decent launch from my experience.
The original improvements are great. But when the water level is low and they don't see a lot of use (winter), the launches at Calc Pt and the jetties just get slick slick slick with slime build up, algae and what not.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

2wd f250 for 10 years with 7.3 diesel. you have to use your head a little. for hunting you say you have a 4 wheeler park the truck by the road and drive 4wheeler. most areas to fish have more that one launch to get to the same spot with out tearing out the axle from under the boat where you would need 4 wheel drive.
Joe
Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The original improvements are great. But when the water level is low and they don't see a lot of use (winter), the launches at Calc Pt and the jetties just get slick slick slick with slime build up, algae and what not.

10-4 on both. Those are two landings I specifically stay away from for:
Calc Point is terrible for single person launches. jeez I'm worn out coming and going. Trailer sits in salt water for way too long.
Jetties.. I normally cross the ferry east to west, and launch there and run north.

Kayak: Almost always Lafleur park under 210 at the kayak launch. 1 -wheel drive is ok there!