SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 02-18-2016, 11:55 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020
Default Spring Coming Early

I just wrote an article for next months Coastal Angler Magazine (March) about the spring transition and the factors at play and how to understand it and hopefully help everyone catch a few more fish during that time. A customer PM'd me yesterday and asked if "with all this hot weather on the coast should we start looking at spring transition areas'. I said absolutely. We've had a not so typical winter that was a month a half late to getting to the typical winter trout pattern (similar to redfish with low tides). And with the warmth, there are signs that spring is coming early. I keep an eye on the state of the bays progression every year as the seasons change and I can tell you there are signs occurring right now that are showing up that indicate it's ahead of schedule. That doesn't mean we abandon the winter locations immediately either. Fish them until your fish disappear.

So, without going into all of it. This is just a heads up. If your winter fish aren't where they are supposed to be this weekend.. be on your toes and start looking in typical spring transition areas. With the abnormal water temps and lack of cold everything may happen a bit faster this spring. That also means that those fish are going to spread out faster and you'll have to be ready for that and go looking for where they should be.

Good luck on the Water, TightLines
Tobin
Old 02-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 405

Good Stuff! Are you the same guys with the troutsupport YouTube account?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Yes Sir... that's Us!
Old 02-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Here's a little more info. A lot of anglers struggle this time of year as the fish spread out seemingly everywhere and nowhere. Those that know the traditional springtime areas and know what to look for will be the ones capitalizing.

____________ from another forum i've posted on...

.... if you aren't already switching your search for the tiny bait in spring transition areas, it's time. That's where you're going to catch more fish.. and not exactly tiny trout either, good solid fish. Look for tiny glass minnows and tiny shad/menhaden (this winters hatch). The more you find this stuff over the right structure in the spring transition areas the more fish you are going to catch. Start training your eyes and you'll see it and you can see the signs of it... little tiny bait balls and tiny surface ripples... lets call it 'micro nervous water' because it's half inch baitfish and they make little tiny ripples.

It also doesn't mean that you have to throw little tiny silver baits around it either. Sure downsize to Norton Sand Eel Junior or the smaller Chicken Boy shrimp or a Bass Assassin paddle tail, but don't hesitate to throw a one knocker spook, Fat Boy, or Brown Devil or even TTF Hackberry Hustler in there too. The suspending baits are all still very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX
...Happened to look down and see what looked like a 29-30" trout slowly swimming out to deeper water. I was a little surprise it was in that shallow of water, 8-10". But the weather/water was warm and there was plenty of crab and mullet to feed on.
Oh yeah, you're on them bro! Nice. Reply ... Some good trout also spreading into the marshes right now as well; fish spreading all over...that's what is going to make it tough for most. But they are find-able.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Caught my biggest fish on a 3" Usual Suspect in May. You don't have to worry about losing a big girl when you catch one on a little bait. its usually digested by the time you get them in the net. Good tips.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:00 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,303

I like throw in the mini mirrodines. They hammer the snot out of them.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Trophy Trout

They sure do Kenny.

This week I've been using a one knocker as a search bait and once I catch one or two and the blow ups stop... i'll switch to something smaller. that usually does the trick.