SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

You have to pull over them levees or you were on the outside?

Sabine has too many crazy rules. If you use wood dowels instead of hooks, you get more tags.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
They sell them shirts and hats at Gordons Drug Store on Lake St.

If you catch that many alligators, you, your truck and your boat will stink like hell.
Them gators will throw up in your boat after you bring them in.
If you hang their head over the side for 30 minutes to make sure they don't throw up in your boat, the second you put the head back in the boat, it will throw up some clear nasty stuff. The blood stinks like hell too, and clabbers, mixes with the gator vomit.
I usta put melt in a 5 gallon bucket on the front of the boat at noon, then put it out the next morning, after it turns a greenish/purpleish rainbow on the outside. After that hangs on a hood a couple of days and has maggots in and on it, it stinks worser than anything you ever smelled.
My step uncle came with me on the last day of my hunt one time. I got him to take the old bait off the hooks and roll up the lines when we picked them up.
He wouldn't go back the next year. He said everytime he thinks about it, he can still smell that stank.
Mud, blood, vomit, B.O., you never look or smell good if you are hunting gators, unless you are one of them sports that dress up in camo to shoot a gator that is on a line, then let the trapper do all the work. Them guys look and smell good when they take their picture with the gator, then hurry up and wash their hands when the picture is done.
You aint jokin, that is one stinky, dirty job, ole mike rowe needs to partner up and start a dirty swamp people show!!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
A padna of mine hung a 5# trout a few days ago, and I started holler'n "YOU GOT A TREE SHAKA!!!" Never a dull moment on my boat!!
Man, that was some pretty funnt ****!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
They sell them shirts and hats at Gordons Drug Store on Lake St.

If you catch that many alligators, you, your truck and your boat will stink like hell.
Them gators will throw up in your boat after you bring them in.
If you hang their head over the side for 30 minutes to make sure they don't throw up in your boat, the second you put the head back in the boat, it will throw up some clear nasty stuff. The blood stinks like hell too, and clabbers, mixes with the gator vomit.
I usta put melt in a 5 gallon bucket on the front of the boat at noon, then put it out the next morning, after it turns a greenish/purpleish rainbow on the outside. After that hangs on a hood a couple of days and has maggots in and on it, it stinks worser than anything you ever smelled.
My step uncle came with me on the last day of my hunt one time. I got him to take the old bait off the hooks and roll up the lines when we picked them up.
He wouldn't go back the next year. He said everytime he thinks about it, he can still smell that stank.
Mud, blood, vomit, B.O., you never look or smell good if you are hunting gators, unless you are one of them sports that dress up in camo to shoot a gator that is on a line, then let the trapper do all the work. Them guys look and smell good when they take their picture with the gator, then hurry up and wash their hands when the picture is done.
I had a bait well like that...fishing in june and got a couple of days off and forgot to clean dat succa out!! Came back and de blow flies attacked my azz and so did the smell!!!:lmf ao:I've also been by the alligator processing plant in Hackberry...Not very pleasant @ all!!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,010

Quote:
Sabine has too many crazy rules. If you use wood dowels instead of hooks, you get more tags.

What is the difference, you are going to put a bullet in his head anyhow!

Warren
Old 03-30-2011, 01:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

I used to do it back when everyone skinned their own gators. You talk about work and my job was to cut the guts open and get the hooks back. Man, stank ain't even near a good enough word to describe dat.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 8,577

Those guys work hard they crawfish in the swamp in pierre part, i bought a boat two weeks ago from jacobs next door neighbor, I asked where he was, "out crawfishing" aught to see his crib.........no shabby shack there...monster house on lake verette...if you havent been to that neck of the bayou ride over there....3 hours and a whole new perspective on true cajuns....crawwfishing in bayous not rice fields, they. all run yammys cuz of the warranties every house has at least 3 boats rigged, its interesting.....
Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
I used to do it back when everyone skinned their own gators. You talk about work and my job was to cut the guts open and get the hooks back. Man, stank ain't even near a good enough word to describe dat.

Hooks are too cheap to have to cut them out. We always bought new hooks every year so we never worried about cutting the hooks out. I have gone back and picked up the hooks after the carcasses completely rotted and the smell was gone. We used to have a pile of them on the bank on our property and that was really rank.

Warren
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshrat View Post
What is the difference, you are going to put a bullet in his head anyhow!

Warren
If you shoot them, their throat muscles relax and the wooden dowel comes out. Dead alligators don't float. Better have a gaff ready.
That is the difference.

I don't save any hooks. They are cheap enough.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
If you shoot them, their throat muscles relax and the wooden dowel comes out.

I can say I have learned something today. I never new the dowel would have come out.

Warren
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Great White

They do. And sometimes they break. Sabine is fulla big old gators.
It is a good place to hunt, but they make you do too much.
Like numbering all your lines, showing them on a map where the lines are.
They check them at night to make sure you keep every one you catch.
I had a friend that caught 2 on one line. Medium sized one was caught, big one tried to kill or eat it. They rolled up in the line. He shot both and put down that he killed both on the same line the same morning. They put him thru the third degree. He thought he was going to have to go thru a lie detector test. They didn't believe him.
Almost lost his hunting in the Sabine, the rest of his tags, feared a fine and losing all hunting and fishing rights for a couple years. They are not people friendly at all.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
If you shoot them, their throat muscles relax and the wooden dowel comes out. Dead alligators don't float. Better have a gaff ready.
That is the difference.

I don't save any hooks. They are cheap enough.

Well where do you gaff em? Guy I used to hunt wit always told us not to miss because if we put a hole in the skin on the underside we just bought ourselves some boots. And this was back when they were getting 40 some odd dollars a foot.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Well where do you gaff em? Guy I used to hunt wit always told us not to miss because if we put a hole in the skin on the underside we just bought ourselves some boots. And this was back when they were getting 40 some odd dollars a foot.
Wish we'd get 41 bucks a foot now, I'd be rollin in a new surface drive
Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,335
Default ice chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
I had a bait well like that...fishing in june and got a couple of days off and forgot to clean dat succa out!! Came back and de blow flies attacked my azz and so did the smell!!!:lmf ao:I've also been by the alligator processing plant in Hackberry...Not very pleasant @ all!!
Brent, was that you or Travis that had the really nasty ice chest one morning at Spicers?

I liked to puked in the boat when it was opened.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Brent, was that you or Travis that had the really nasty ice chest one morning at Spicers?

I liked to puked in the boat when it was opened.
No mine was my bait well in the back....that stuff was black and clabbard...blow flies and maggots...jus flat out rotten!!!Thank the good Lawd I had a long pair of pliers to pull the plug!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Great White

Gaff them anywhere. You don't want to lose any big gator.
They don't grade the hide unless it has been torn up by another gator.
I tried to gaff under the bottom jaw. Less damage.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Ohh Lord..A piece of bone just flown of the head and hit trapper Joe in da lip!! OHH LAWD
Old 04-04-2011, 10:45 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:

According to my trapper that was the worst place to put a hole in the hide. That is the softest most pliable part of the skin and it is very desirable. He always said don't miss and put a hole in that. But again, this was a long time ago.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Gaff them anywhere. You don't want to lose any big gator.
They don't grade the hide unless it has been torn up by another gator.

We used a pole with a treble hook attached to it. The hook was tight against the pole and we would just run it down and let it grab a hold where ever. We never had a problem with it damaging the hide, but we made sure the hook was sharp so it wouldn't take much to hold to the hide.

Warren