SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919
Default hog island gully

So i made my first trip ever to the enfamous big lake,With the tip sulphite gave me I made my way to hog island gully.I put my pirouge in behind the water control structure and paddled in to the marsh.On the second cast I got pulled around by a big red for a while got him in the boat and after that I caught two oyster fish and two small trout.Not to bad for my first attempt,plan to head back as soon as possible.If anybody has any tips for a newbie rockenp a pirouge they would be much apprecaited and will save me some trial and error.Thanks for the tip sulphite
Old 05-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Another spot/area that would be fairly easy to access is from Calcasieu Point landing on the East side of the lake.

From the landing.....go the the left as you leave the landing, then left again as you come out into the Intercoastal water way. Go about 250 yards and there is a cut on the left that goes back into a marsh.

Also from this marsh...... you can cross the Intercoastal [heading south...this is an old bend from the Calcasieu river] and there are several cuts on the left [east] that will take you back into marsh or open shallow ponds. The first canal goes back to Big Lake road, and there is a boat launch there. This launch is refered to as "Fred's launch, because it is next to Fred's Lounge.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Trophy Trout

Thanks for the help I'm gonna give that a try
Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

i havent fished saltwater much so if you dont mind me askin what are yall using bait wise and is this a place i can run my 15ft with a 25 and catch some reds or what ever is in there. i am thinkin i may buy a yak but would like to find a few places before i dump the cash
Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505
Lmfao

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
i havent fished saltwater much so if you dont mind me askin what are yall using bait wise and is this a place i can run my 15ft with a 25 and catch some reds or what ever is in there. i am thinkin i may buy a yak but would like to find a few places before i dump the cash
You gotta know how to fish first. Lol
Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
You gotta know how to fish first. Lol
well i am open to learnin, so sombody teach so i can help 1fatmerc
Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

Purple and gold sand eels
White and chartreuse sand eels...gulp for reds
Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Another spot/area that would be fairly easy to access is from Calcasieu Point landing on the East side of the lake.

From the landing.....go the the left as you leave the landing, then left again as you come out into the Intercoastal water way. Go about 250 yards and there is a cut on the left that goes back into a marsh.

Also from this marsh...... you can cross the Intercoastal [heading south...this is an old bend from the Calcasieu river] and there are several cuts on the left [east] that will take you back into marsh or open shallow ponds. The first canal goes back to Big Lake road, and there is a boat launch there. This launch is refered to as "Fred's launch, because it is next to Fred's Lounge.
Be carful here in a pirogue, there is heavy barge traffic goin in out of the intercoastal locks and lots of open water. Might get pulled around.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Be careful here in a pirogue, there is heavy barge traffic goin in out of the intercoastal locks and lots of open water. Might get pulled around.

yeah be careful in that area is right!! and it's alot longer than a 250 yards from cal pt to the first marsh cut.. more like 800-900 yds. and it's well over 2 miles to fred's from cal pt... not bad if you're in a hobie kayak with a mirage drive, but it's one helluva long paddle in a regular yak or pirouge!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Lure Tricks View Post
yeah be careful in that area is right!! and it's alot longer than a 250 yards from cal pt to the first marsh cut.. more like 800-900 yds. and it's well over 2 miles to fred's from cal pt... not bad if you're in a hobie kayak with a mirage drive, but it's one helluva long paddle in a regular yak or pirouge!
Well in a boat it does not seem that far.....

On Google Earth I checked and came up with .6 miles from the landing to first cut.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Well in a boat it does not seem that far.....

On Google Earth I checked and came up with .6 miles from the landing to first cut.
.6 mi = about 1050 yards or roughly 10 football fields.. and yep, distances can be deceiving. I've become much more aware of actual distances since i started fishing out of a kayak a few years ago. the days of "that doesn't LOOK that far away" are pretty much over for me! i launch as close to where I'm gonna fish as possible unless I'm taking a long drift down the river. i just wanna fish, not paddle all day! heck, i just launch at cal pt and fish lng canal in my yak.. it's an easy paddle and there are trout, reds and flounder right there.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Trophy Trout

Appreciate the warning I'm gonna give the beach a try and see what's happening down that way and maybe check out the gully.Ill let y'all know how I do
Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 618

I yak in fred's marsh pretty often and launch from big lake road in to the marsh. It is a very short paddle and during the summer holds a good bit of reds and I've actually caught some nice sized specks in the channel by freds. Just pass up calc point and continue south till right after the icw bridge and park on the right. Its really easy