SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 04-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713
Default Ambush 1556 and Tohatsu 4 stroke

Well guys, I spent last Monday through Thursday, 23rd through the 26th, in Alexander, Arkansas building my boat. I wanted certain options that I wanted to watch being installed. I monitored the build to make sure I know what I am talking about when explaining these hulls. The Ambush is Legendcrafts high performance custom boat. These are not cookie cutter boats. They are built to specific orders, they do not have a lot full of boats. Their boats are built for customers with options ordered. That's why when you order an Ambush, your build is put in line in the order it is received. As your order comes up, they build your boat. So don't expect to go to a dealer and see a lot full of Ambush boats, won't happen.
Now, before the RPM police start whining, and the folks that claim it's a setup:
Ray Charles can see this hull is empty. It is 15' long, 56" wide bottom, weighs 540 pounds. I tested this boat one step at a time. This run was with an EMPTY boat. A 6 gallon fuel tank, a large deep cycle battery, and a 20 pound coonass.
And yes, I run the engine above the manufacturer's recommended RPM range, GET OVER IT! When you start getting paid to test equipment, you run it according to your test criteria, till then if you don't like how I test equipment, don't read the article.
Today, I am going to marsh test the boat, loaded: 2 large deep cycle batteries, 2 200# men, 82# thrust motor guide, 6 gallons fuel, all fishing equipment, 48 quart cooler. I'll give results on that later.
Here is a short video of the boat running in West Fork right after I hung the motor. I really didn't expect a 540# hull, 56" wide bottom boat to run like this, but I was thrilled. And any drunk idiot knows that a loaded boat will not run like this. If you would like to look at the rig, let me know. I ran out of propeller. The motor was on the rev limiter while at WOT. I now have more pitch, just haven't had a chance to run the boat. I figure that the prop in the video will be just right for the boat loaded for fishing. The boat did everything werll, turns on a dime, planes in about 10' distance, floats high.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrM9ilmH5Yo
Old 04-01-2015, 08:24 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

very nice, keep us updated
Old 04-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Dang. Sounds like a nice rig. What speeds you getting?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

What mph?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Trophy Trout

I'll give numbers when setup is finished. This was the first time I ran it loaded for fishing. There's another 3-5 mph left in it with adjustments and prop change. It is turning a 15 pitch Yamaha prop on the rev limiter at 6150. I have a 16 pitch Yamaha ready to mount after adjustments, it will need it. I'll give mph numbers when I'm done with setup.
D
Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 728

Did these results get posted in another thread? I don't know how I missed all this but you're seriously making me want to sell my mud motor now haha
Old 11-19-2015, 12:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Sorry, I guess I could lie and say I got busy, to tell the truth, beginning about May 28th I spent 4 days in ICU and a total of 16 days in St. Pats with an infection in my left lung cavity that spread throughout my bloodstream, called septic, and took a while recuperating. I was given a 5% chance of survival, proves the old saying that the good die young. I lost track of this thread, sorry. All is well now, thanks to my Lord, Jesus Christ.
OK, here goes.
Empty hull, 6 gallons gas, start battery, 200 pound human:
With the 16 pitch Yamaha propeller
Plane time 2.4 seconds
0-30 time 12.0 seconds
Top speed 47 mph at 6150 rpm

Loaded hull with 3 batteries, trolling motor, 2 men, fishing gear
Plane time 3.2 seconds
0-30 time 13.5 seconds
Top end 42 mph at 6150 rpm

22 pitch 12" diameter Quicksilver Cleaver race propeller/did not adjust motor height for cleaver/EMPTY HULL
Plane time 5.0 seconds
0-30 time 14 seconds
top end 59.5... I can't give you the rpm's, I was too busy to look.
Driver, that would be me, ran out of talent and got out of the throttle. It is an arm breaker with a cleaver, pulls like a tractor. I can hold it for about a minute, then I'm done. This is really a useless number anyway, if you run a cleaver, you're racing, not fishing.
If you want or need more info "EXCEPT FOR PRICE", I am available, just shoot me a PM and I'll get with you and tell you almost everythingI know about these boats. I have consulted for LegendCraft for a couple years now on this hull. So at this time, I stand to gain or lose nothing if these boats sell or don't. I just really feel that these are superior performing boats compared to what was available before this hull was produced and they are sold by the best dealer in the south. I have known Gerald Link for nearly 30 years, he has always been more than fair with me. And Thank God, his son Kyle is just like Gerald when it comes to treating folks fair.
Danny
Old 11-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
Sorry, I guess I could lie and say I got busy, to tell the truth, beginning about May 28th I spent 4 days in ICU and a total of 16 days in St. Pats with an infection in my left lung cavity that spread throughout my bloodstream, called septic, and took a while recuperating. I was given a 5% chance of survival, proves the old saying that the good die young. I lost track of this thread, sorry. All is well now, thanks to my Lord, Jesus Christ.
OK, here goes.
Empty hull, 6 gallons gas, start battery, 200 pound human:
With the 16 pitch Yamaha propeller
Plane time 2.4 seconds
0-30 time 12.0 seconds
Top speed 47 mph at 6150 rpm

Loaded hull with 3 batteries, trolling motor, 2 men, fishing gear
Plane time 3.2 seconds
0-30 time 13.5 seconds
Top end 42 mph at 6150 rpm

22 pitch 12" diameter Quicksilver Cleaver race propeller/did not adjust motor height for cleaver/EMPTY HULL
Plane time 5.0 seconds
0-30 time 14 seconds
top end 59.5... I can't give you the rpm's, I was too busy to look.
Driver, that would be me, ran out of talent and got out of the throttle. It is an arm breaker with a cleaver, pulls like a tractor. I can hold it for about a minute, then I'm done. This is really a useless number anyway, if you run a cleaver, you're racing, not fishing.
If you want or need more info "EXCEPT FOR PRICE", I am available, just shoot me a PM and I'll get with you and tell you almost everythingI know about these boats. I have consulted for LegendCraft for a couple years now on this hull. So at this time, I stand to gain or lose nothing if these boats sell or don't. I just really feel that these are superior performing boats compared to what was available before this hull was produced and they are sold by the best dealer in the south. I have known Gerald Link for nearly 30 years, he has always been more than fair with me. And Thank God, his son Kyle is just like Gerald when it comes to treating folks fair.
Danny
Glad to hear you pulled through.
That middle number is impressive 42mph fishing load.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Just a FYI. I just talked with Kyle, they are selling those 40/50 hp 4 stroke tohatsu's for $4995.00. That's the cheapest I have ever seen them.
D