SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486
Default Red snapper wars

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s..._river_default

How very Federal Government of these guys...
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Pure Stupid....... It's what we get as astate for not supporting the Democrats
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

can you write him a citizens ticket for want and waste. why not take them if they were already dead and give them to a shelter?????.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
can you write him a citizens ticket for want and waste. why not take them if they were already dead and give them to a shelter?????.
I read the story and didn't see where the guy said that he actually did throw them back, and said he was going back next weekend so

I believe that wanton waste is more of a hunting thing where you have to make an effort to retrieve your game. Once its in your possession, you can pretty much do what you want. If you catch your limit of snapper or other fish, ice em down, and then decide you don't want to clean them, there isn't a law saying you have to give them away. You can pretty much just chunk em back in the water.
With ducks and deer, you can shoot your limit of ducks or deer and throw em in a field. They are yours to do what you want. Not saying its ethical, but how many people shoot coots and stomp em in the mud, break the bills off gar, etc?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

They were just doing their job is about the lamest argument ever invented. If you don't agree with someone you will do it just because someone is paying you to? This is BS.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Here's my question: What if we refuse to sign the warnings or citations?????

Technically we are suppose to be taken in for booking. Wonder how they will handle that scenario??? Just a thought - I would like someone to refuse the warning/citation and then have them in court in front of a judge. I truly think this would be beneficial to us and get the feds in spotlight they do not want to be in.

I for one would not let them even board my boat! But that is me and I have the means to handle the scenario.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
They were just doing their job is about the lamest argument ever invented. If you don't agree with someone you will do it just because someone is paying you to? This is BS.
If you're sending people to the ovens in Europe, sure. If you're following an edict from your boss regarding enforcement of fish laws, what's the big deal?

I don't agree with the policy, but I do know if the worker bees come back without having done their work, the boss will find new worker bees.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:42 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
If you're sending people to the ovens in Europe, sure. If you're following an edict from your boss regarding enforcement of fish laws, what's the big deal?

I don't agree with the policy, but I do know if the worker bees come back without having done their work, the boss will find new worker bees.
That's for sure......
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
That's for sure......
X2, man gotta feed the family, just following orders

Hell, I do all kinds of stuff I don't really agree with and may suggest other ways of going about it, but it ain't worth losing a job over
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Here's my question: What if we refuse to sign the warnings or citations?????

Technically we are suppose to be taken in for booking. Wonder how they will handle that scenario??? Just a thought - I would like someone to refuse the warning/citation and then have them in court in front of a judge. I truly think this would be beneficial to us and get the feds in spotlight they do not want to be in.

I for one would not let them even board my boat! But that is me and I have the means to handle the scenario.

It is probably like refusing a breathalyzer test? Those usually don't go over well the majority of the time

Signing a ticket is not an admission of guilt is it?

I appreciate the people that are going out fishing and seeing where the tipping point is, but for the fines, court costs, and lawyer fees that you may end up paying for 3 red snapper
Old 04-09-2013, 04:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

The penalty to refusing a chemical test while driving is the same as testing over the limit. And no, signing a ticket is not an admission of guilt - it does however constitute a "bond" that you have been notified of charges and will appear in court to contest, or plead guilty by accepting penalty.

So, if you refuse to sign the ticket (bond), then you are to be brought to the parish seat and booked into the custody of that parish Sheriff, then bond will be set for your release. In the event of a traffic charge, those bonds are already listed and range from $0.00 to $1000. More serious charges, you bypass the citation and wait to see a judge for bond hearing (felonies). **This is state/federal LAW!!!!!!!

So, I would refuse to sign his warning/citation, produce my badge, and tell him the ball is in his court. Is he going to handcuff me, put a PFD on me and bring me in, all the while assuming the liability of my people on my boat? I think not! Is he going to follow us all day and get me when I get to the bank???? Boy, I hope so!!! That means everyone else would get to fish without all this crapola!

Look, I'm in law enforcement, and this is a joke!!! I can't get federal money to assist our department with criminal work on I-10, but they can send man power and boat to hit us for catching a species of fish that is almost to a "nusiance level". This situation really does need a "test case".
Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
The penalty to refusing a chemical test while driving is the same as testing over the limit. And no, signing a ticket is not an admission of guilt - it does however constitute a "bond" that you have been notified of charges and will appear in court to contest, or plead guilty by accepting penalty.

So, if you refuse to sign the ticket (bond), then you are to be brought to the parish seat and booked into the custody of that parish Sheriff, then bond will be set for your release. In the event of a traffic charge, those bonds are already listed and range from $0.00 to $1000. More serious charges, you bypass the citation and wait to see a judge for bond hearing (felonies). **This is state/federal LAW!!!!!!!

So, I would refuse to sign his warning/citation, produce my badge, and tell him the ball is in his court. Is he going to handcuff me, put a PFD on me and bring me in, all the while assuming the liability of my people on my boat? I think not! Is he going to follow us all day and get me when I get to the bank???? Boy, I hope so!!! That means everyone else would get to fish without all this crapola!

Look, I'm in law enforcement, and this is a joke!!! I can't get federal money to assist our department with criminal work on I-10, but they can send man power and boat to hit us for catching a species of fish that is almost to a "nusiance level". This situation really does need a "test case".
Wish I had the money...
Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

I read today that Sen. Vitter is introducing a bill to codify the La. state waters limit out to 10 miles.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
I read today that Sen. Vitter is introducing a bill to codify the La. state waters limit out to 10 miles.
Where did you see that?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
Where did you see that?
I just saw it on the lafayette local news too
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

KATC LAfayette news