SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 12-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074
Default What am I supposed to do with this?

A while back a very nice lady I know asked me to keep her in mind if I ever had any extra fish. So I brought her a gallon bag of trout fillets. To show her appreciation, for Christmas she got me a present. Its a 30 lb Boga Grip. She bought it from some bait shop in Texas. She asked the salesman what's the one thing that most fisherman need but don't have. I thought it was nice of her but when I looked it up on the internet my jaw hit the floor. 125$ for this thing? Am I missing something? I've seen the ones at Academy for 25$ or so. They don't have a scale but they do the same thing I am pretty sure? How in the world does the company that makes this things justify the price tag on it I have a scale and a net, what is this thing gonna do differently. I can see if I was a wade fisherman and didn't want to lug around a net but I don't wade. I can't in good conscience sell it or try to return it somewhere, but I am pretty sure its going to sit in my storage compartment unused unless someone can tell me why its better than a net?
Old 12-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

They are made of quality stainless steel and will hold up to saltwater use. They can be sent in to the IGFA to be registered as a "certified scale". I know that my boga has a very accurate scale. They also make for nice pictures! Haha. I have one and I don't use it on every single fishing trip, but I do like using it while handling large redfish, flounder, and large trout. It isn't a necessity and there are cheaper alternatives out there, but it is a nice luxury item for the inshore fisherman.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
A while back a very nice lady I know asked me to keep her in mind if I ever had any extra fish. So I brought her a gallon bag of trout fillets. To show her appreciation, for Christmas she got me a present. Its a 30 lb Boga Grip. She bought it from some bait shop in Texas. She asked the salesman what's the one thing that most fisherman need but don't have. I thought it was nice of her but when I looked it up on the internet my jaw hit the floor. 125$ for this thing? Am I missing something? I've seen the ones at Academy for 25$ or so. They don't have a scale but they do the same thing I am pretty sure? How in the world does the company that makes this things justify the price tag on it I have a scale and a net, what is this thing gonna do differently. I can see if I was a wade fisherman and didn't want to lug around a net but I don't wade. I can't in good conscience sell it or try to return it somewhere, but I am pretty sure its going to sit in my storage compartment unused unless someone can tell me why its better than a net?
I had 2 academy ones that broke before I got my boga. No complaints so far.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:45 PM
Flounder

Cash: 575

Unhook a gaft top
Old 12-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

It's like fishing with Shimano or Zebco, boga's are certified scales and made with high quality stainless steel parts. All I can say is the lady has good taste in fishing equipment and enjoy it for years to come.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Tripletail

It can't be as fool proof as netting a big fish? I try to flip everything in the boat anyway unles Its a 3 lb or better speck or a red bigger than 24 inches. Although it depends on what pole I am using. I love those cheap diawa lagunas poles to throw spinner baits but have snapped my fair share of them trying to flip a red in the boat. I will try it. I got a catfish flipper for the hardeads and gaff tops.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
It can't be as fool proof as netting a big fish? I try to flip everything in the boat anyway unles Its a 3 lb or better speck or a red bigger than 24 inches. Although it depends on what pole I am using. I love those cheap diawa lagunas poles to throw spinner baits but have snapped my fair share of them trying to flip a red in the boat. I will try it. I got a catfish flipper for the hardeads and gaff tops.

It's not so much used to put the fish in the boat as it is to handle the fish after you put it in the boat. Net a big redfish, then boga it to hold it, unhook, it, weigh it, take a picture with it, release it. Get it?
Old 12-25-2014, 04:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

If you can't wrap your mind around it I'll take it off your hands for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
It's not so much used to put the fish in the boat as it is to handle the fish after you put it in the boat. Net a big redfish, then boga it to hold it, unhook, it, weigh it, take a picture with it, release it. Get it?
Yeah I get it. I just usually grab them by the gills. My hands are callist enough they don't get cut anymore. I am always thinking about catching the next one and want to get my line back in the water as quick as possible. Maybe I will appreciate it when I get old and slow (thats a joke). I can see its usefulness. Just shocked me that it was so expensive. But it is what it is. I can tell its well made. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I saw a few pictures of guys pulling the fish out of the water with them.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

If keep that lady stocked up with fish. She is a great person who actually realizes the true cost of a pound of fish. I'll bet it cost you about $125 to catch those fish.

I have a $130 leather duck strap. I could get away with pink twine, which I used for years because I found a spool one day but it sure is nice to have a luxury item for my ducks.

Enjoy fishing with nice stuff.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Just make sure you put a big float on it before you use it...Don't wanna lose it in the water.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yep. You owe her more fish.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
Yep, i have 2 of the cheap ones in the boat. They stay clamped on my rail on each side of my console. Make handling big fish alot easier.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Redfish

Cash: 710

My wife won't even buy me bogas. How does she look?
Old 12-26-2014, 12:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

Had my boga for 15 years when I got it for Christmas from my old man. Use it year round for lipping big trout while wading and summer months handling snapper, cobia, triple tail. They are made of concrete can take anything, never have to buy another scale.

Put it to you this way I would not go to lip a 30" inch fish while wading with a cheap academy knock off.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:08 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Yep. I have one too and it is awsome. You owe that lady more fish. It's nice to have someone who appriciates the gift of fish and understands what it takes to get it. I have people who ask for fish and don't think twice about the work, expense and time involved in that bag they haul away. When I find someone who does that person can count on a regular supply from me. I enjoy sharing with people like that as much as I enjoy the fish myself.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507

That is a great gift, I use mine constantly when handling bigger fish. she is like many others out there that understands what it means when a fisherman freely gives fish to someone without any strings attached.