SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 09-22-2014, 01:39 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
They suck Joey.....I'm off the LSU wagon. Roll Tide!!
No way? You'll get lynched up in here for such blasphemy
Old 09-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crab View Post
No way? You'll get lynched up in here for such blasphemy
Bama's QB was dialed in Saturday and no denying that. Was the sloppiest first half of football I ever saw though. 6 first halg TD's and all from turnovers. Well played 2cnd half by bama though.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,335

Just a lil FYI for the organizer(s). If you know someone with a business that sells certain products the guys would enjoy(outdoor cooking, seasoning/rubs)if you appeal to them and explain what you are doing and that proceeds will be donated to a worthy cause, most will more often than not contribute a donation as a prize.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigNate View Post
Just a lil FYI for the organizer(s). If you know someone with a business that sells certain products the guys would enjoy(outdoor cooking, seasoning/rubs)if you appeal to them and explain what you are doing and that proceeds will be donated to a worthy cause, most will more often than not contribute a donation as a prize.
Have been thinking about this also. Donations can be tax write offs for business but they will need some type of letterhead from the event they donate to. That is my understanding. I may be wrong though.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Tripletail

Only if your a tax exempt charity organization. But, they can get free publicity and advertising. Just ask all they can say is no, not now. If they do donate something ask them if they have a banner that can be posted.
I organized an internet forum member get together for owners of a certain grill/smoker. http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/keg/keg-series.html
I got some no replies, some no answers but I also got a bunch of cool stuff from a good number of people that were happy to donate something. Especially if it's a business that is trying to get their name out there.

Look, I've been busy as heck but I'll send a couple of requests out and I'll let you know what I find out. If the real organizer would send me his name and contact info in a pm I'll do what I can to help.

BTW, if you really feel strongly about donating to a charity you CAN apply for the Charity status. I'll ask a buddy of mine who is an accountant. He knows what needs to be done.

Talk to the right people and you might be able to get sponsors!

Nathan
Old 09-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

If y'all want to do it for little angels I can get them to give the 501c3 info. They will also promote it if we want. Do we want to keep it just salty cajun or open it up?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Tripletail

I'd say for the first time let's keep it somewhat smaller and off the grid so to say. I'm all for going big or go home but some people may back away from cooking for a crowd. Open it to families and friends and maybe the group you want to help.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigNate View Post
I'd say for the first time let's keep it somewhat smaller and off the grid so to say. I'm all for going big or go home but some people may back away from cooking for a crowd. Open it to families and friends and maybe the group you want to help.
I agree ^^^^^^^^
Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I agree ^^^^^^^^
X2
Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Sailfish

Im down for whatever. Keep it small and spend a day hanging out and cooking. If everyone is game we do a $20 buy in and can give some $ to little angels. If we can set up and try to sell some for more $ that's good too. First time will be a learning experience. I damn sure think it will be fun.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

Im easy. I am a firm believer if it isn't fun the first time, it will not become annual. Plus, wen we are all old and gray, we can laugh about the "first time" and how small it was!

I spoke with Dink yesterday and we are eyeing two locations around the Lafayette area. My thoughts are to have an informal meeting around here for the participants to get a "real" number of cook we will have and talk about "rules". Once that is established, the cookers can set the date of when this will happen. We need to at least give a 60 day notice so everyone can get their ducks in a row.

This forum is also a suggestion line if you can not make it to the informal meeting....not shutting anyone out!

RC
Old 09-24-2014, 12:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

Please make it after mid January. That's all i ask. I will do everything i can to attend if it's after hunting season. Any other detail Is not a big deal to me. I say the more informal, and the less rules, the better. But...music would be nice.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crab View Post
Please make it after mid January. That's all i ask. I will do everything i can to attend if it's after hunting season. Any other detail Is not a big deal to me. I say the more informal, and the less rules, the better. But...music would be nice.
Mid Jan or Feb would be good I think. Before lent? I'm not Catholic so I don't and wont pretend to know the guidlines regarding lent.
I'm stuck in Alexandria but will help any way I can. I do like the idea of a small family/friends kind of event to get a feel for it and see where we want to go from there.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I say go no rules..........just whoever gets the most votes wins........then, if we don't like a guy from Texas winning, we can start making up the rules to our benefit...........

sounds like a federal government plan right??
Old 09-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

Just wondering what a trophy would look like for a "Texas Butt Rub" Gumbo? Isn't there a dance named after that? LOL
Old 09-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
I say go no rules..........just whoever gets the most votes wins........then, if we don't like a guy from Texas winning, we can start making up the rules to our benefit...........

No prepackaged seasonings (I.e. Tonys, tobacco, slapyamamma, etc...).
Old 09-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post

you mean like real salt and black pepper?

Oh snap
Old 09-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post

No thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 06:33 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post

No tobacco?! That's my secret ingredient. Some good ole Levi Garrett gets that gumbo just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Tripletail

O.K. so you want to make it fun and want to have a decent number of participants. Let it be uncomplicated. I'd say allow people make their roux ahead of time if they want. Heck, let 'em use a jarred roux. Off topic for a second. I entered a gumbo cook-off many moons ago and people were blown away by a few participants. That year I came in second. having quite a few that were alright but not great and they even wanting to make a better gumbo, I let them in on some secrets and better ingredients to use. The next year it was a closer race and almost all gumbos were pretty damn good. Yeah, I won first place but I also made it a better for all competition. They learned what agood gunbo required!

So, let whoever use wahtever roux they want, whatever seasonings they want, because you know what? Just maybe whatever they use will make a damn good gumbo!

if you see it lacking, you tighten the rules for the following year.

BTW, I've only won 1st place in our thing twice, close second and I didn't compete for about the last four years.
You want it to be a friendly and fun competition.
You can still have prizes and raise a lil money for a charity and so on.

BTW, what is Little Angels?