SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Show me a 6 month old dog that can run a walk up indented triple, with poison bird, and diversion, and cold in and out water blinds out to 300 yards, and lunch is on me.
I have a couple that can handle it but they aren't 6 months old, I like the Darrel's Special without Mayo and japaleno chips and a Shiner Bock.

My standards are quite extreme, probably more extreme than most all hunt test trainers. I no longer run hunt test but that is where I started but became disolussioned with the pay your fees and get a ribbon mentality. My training has evolved over the course of 14 years, no different than trucks, tractors, and beer (I like beer). Dogs have also evolved to be smarter, stronger and more capable through the various breeding programs which incorporate the best of the field trial world. Every new training approach has come from the Field Trial world which has in turn been passed down through the ranks to Hunt Testers and lower level pros (me). To say there are numerous ways to train a dog is true but if fraugt with perils. I will follow the top Pros through the fires of hell because their programs have produced the best year after year. Consistancy is the name of the game in any sport or business endevor so why wouldn't you hitch your wagon to someone who is the best year in and year out? Horses are great modes of transportation but nobody would dream of saddling up and driving one to Kalifornia. Ask Braquet,Cajunforeman,Gerldat, if their ideas changed when they saw what can be accomplished by following a True Training Program and pushing the envelop. I will be training dogs long after those of you who only hunt them are done simply because teaching a dog to pickup a 300-500 yd mark or blind really turns my Crank. Bet it would turn yours if you did it too.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Which is why someone said. "finished" is in the eye of the beholder. Some people are fine with throwing shell hulls or rocks and having there dog bring all their ducks back like that. I had a dog never trained and brought him out on a hunt and he picked up our 12 birds. It wasnt pretty but he did it. Was he finish? Lol no way. He wasn't even started!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Redfish

Cash: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I have a couple that can handle it but they aren't 6 months old, I like the Darrel's Special without Mayo and japaleno chips and a Shiner Bock.

My standards are quite extreme, probably more extreme than most all hunt test trainers. I no longer run hunt test but that is where I started but became disolussioned with the pay your fees and get a ribbon mentality. My training has evolved over the course of 14 years, no different than trucks, tractors, and beer (I like beer). Dogs have also evolved to be smarter, stronger and more capable through the various breeding programs which incorporate the best of the field trial world. Every new training approach has come from the Field Trial world which has in turn been passed down through the ranks to Hunt Testers and lower level pros (me). To say there are numerous ways to train a dog is true but if fraugt with perils. I will follow the top Pros through the fires of hell because their programs have produced the best year after year. Consistancy is the name of the game in any sport or business endevor so why wouldn't you hitch your wagon to someone who is the best year in and year out? Horses are great modes of transportation but nobody would dream of saddling up and driving one to Kalifornia. Ask Braquet,Cajunforeman,Gerldat, if their ideas changed when they saw what can be accomplished by following a True Training Program and pushing the envelop. I will be training dogs long after those of you who only hunt them are done simply because teaching a dog to pickup a 300-500 yd mark or blind really turns my Crank. Bet it would turn yours if you did it too.
Amen to that, program is need and follow it as it is the bible to dog training thanks to Ramond, by far is my dog hunt test material but will retrieve a 300 yard mark any day of the week. And I thank Ramond and cajunforeman for all the help and knowledge they provided.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

I think you're preaching to the choir. I'm not the one who was disagreeing with you. I've seen plenty of dogs that can handle those types of setups too but they weren't 6 months old, so my lunch money is still safe!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

could not agree more Raymond.........
I just don't see the need for 300 to 500 yard blinds or marks.
not saying it ain't cool and all, or even that that one time you need it...it's ain't worth it.

Just don't turn my crank..........
Now, writing a really nice six firgure order against my competition and making good margin on it??? That turns my crank.

I would love to be able to train my dog to do those things, really would, and I know he can learn them, just not what I am committed to.

Quaid does just fine............but I'm not running trials either.
I enjoy going and watching those that do though!
Again, admire the hell out of that.

One day when I retire maybe I can get it done.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
could not agree more Raymond.........
I just don't see the need for 300 to 500 yard blinds or marks.
not saying it ain't cool and all, or even that that one time you need it...it's ain't worth it.

Just don't turn my crank..........
Now, writing a really nice six firgure order against my competition and making good margin on it??? That turns my crank.

Gives me Wood Too

I would love to be able to train my dog to do those things, really would, and I know he can learn them, just not what I am committed to.

Quaid does just fine............but I'm not running trials either.
I enjoy going and watching those that do though!
Again, admire the hell out of that.

One day when I retire maybe I can get it done.
It's all what ya want but I refuse to let incorrect statements stand as gospel. "Aluminum wire is just as good as Copper wire in a building".....My uncles cousins sisters brother in law said so.

Mechanically Declined Regards,
Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

LOL.............sure is.........
Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 926

All goes back to the time, energy, and the smartz of the dog. Some dogs devolpe and respond sooner and later than others. My dog is seven now so we are past all those training days and now its a pleasure to watch him work. I very seldom have to get out of my blind! And thats what matters to me.

"Just don't turn my crank..........
Now, writing a really nice six firgure order against my competition and making good margin on it??? That turns my crank."

This is also one of my biggest joys in life!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

I am no Raymond, nor do I have the time to put into dogs like Raymond does but I do enjoy taking my dog to his full potentials. That could not have occured at 6 months. I do agree that this is off subject from the OP's question. Sure a dog could hunt and pick up ducks at 5 1/2 months like the OP's dog will be around opening weekend. However any correction to the dog could be a bigger negative then you ever planned. I will say that once I saw a "good" dog ( again in the eyes of the beholder) my standards of a "good" dog have changed, and I want one. Pedigree increases your chances of aquireing a potentially good dog but does not guarantee it. I still like the quote of a trainer I know that said 98% of waterfowl guides in SW LA don't know what a "good" dog is, of course others call them robots!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

My lab sleeps in the bed, what do I win

Speaking of Omar D, does he still dog train. Have heard he was not scared to shock!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

My dog sleeps inside every night since we have had what I call an "outbreak" of heart worms this year so if u win something I do too. We worked a 2 year old today and three year old both had issues with steadiness at the line. Granted we were pushing there buttons with guns and calls but they are old enough and hunted together enough to know better. Both of them got corrected harsh, mine more so then the other. With Raymond saying he will never be finished. I've always wanted the full potential out of everything even if it was a horse I was roping on or a dog I was working. I want people to say when they hunt with to say damn those dogs are good. My dog is affected with EIC but he still hunts and does it pretty decent but I know that's as far as he will go. I would never put him in a position at 6 months of hunting with another dog or not being able to pay full attention to him. Get a program and stick with it. I'm sure Raymond would be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have. To further that, I met him by this site, he took Shaq and I hunting and from there he has helped us tremoundsly to get him where he is at today. Will he pick up a 300 yard mark, yes. Will he run a 300 yard blind, yes. Is he machine day and day out, no. That's my 2 cents take it for what is with to you.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
My lab sleeps in the bed, what do I win

Speaking of Omar D, does he still dog train. Have heard he was not scared to shock!
He never really ever succeeded in the training part. If you want to work with animals you have to adapt to their way of thinking and read them. It's also important to evolve as a trainer by using the muscle between your ears more than those attached to your hands. Mike Lardy said there are trainers who succeed due to tremendous work ethic and those succeed due to brain power. Use the search feature to find my training tips from the past months to see some of Shawns success following the Lardy program.