SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Westerly neighbor

Cash: 3,536
Thumbs up Any of you into fundraising for a good cause?

As many of you know, the "official" charity of the Salty forums is the Children's Brain Tumor Research Foundation (CBTRF). My wife and I founded this nonprofit org to help advance research and knowledge sharing regarding the rare types of pediatric brain tumors that are overlooked by the other existing orgs. Our son passed away last month following a heroic battle against the rarest and most aggressive brain tumor known, AT/RT. During the 13 months he fought this cancer, we learned that there is virtually nothing known about this type of tumor, and nearly zero research dollars being spent learning about it. We have vowed to change this, and have just recruited the top genetic biologist in the US for this type of tumor to join our medical advisory panel. We are excited about the progress we have already made, but we haven't even skimmed the surface yet. We have lots of big plans, but very little money to put towards them.

Most every successful nonprofit has a "hook" for fundraising. One large brain tumor org uses motorcycle rides, poker runs, etc to solicit donations, others do bicycle rides, marathons, walks, etc. With fishing being one of my favorite passtimes, what better to use for fundraising? Have any of you ever organized fundraising events, and are you willing to organize one in LA for our foundation? If you are interested, let me know what you've done in the past or any special skills you can bring to the table. All assistance is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jeff